Thread: Cut Content?

Icon5 Cut Content?

I've been playing this game for years now, and sometimes I wonder if there was any content that was originally intended to be included in the game but was cut for some reason prior to release, a.k.a. "cut content"? For example, I have heard rumors that Scotland was originally supposed to be included as a playable faction, but were dropped for some reason (my guess would be that they were too hard to play as and would constantly be steamrolled by England). However, I'm not as up on these things as I would like to be (I was about 5 when this game came out), so I was hoping some of the "old timers" around here could enlighten me on this matter.

crazyroman's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: Cut Content?

It wouldn't surprise me . In R:TW and R:TW BI and other Total War titles, there was plenty of content that was in the folder and files but not in the game . For R:TW actually, there was a whole thread dedicated to finding lost units, here in TW Center . Also there were other threads about this matter in the Org .

Quote Originally Posted by crazyroman View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me . In R:TW and R:TW BI and other Total War titles, there was plenty of content that was in the folder and files but not in the game . For R:TW actually, there was a whole thread dedicated to finding lost units, here in TW Center . Also there were other threads about this matter in the Org .
    Do you have links to any of these other threads you mention? Also, does anybody know why Russia isn't playable in the Early Period, or why Switzerland or the Golden Horde aren't playable in the Late Period?

crazyroman's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by LordLurch View Post
    Do you have links to any of these other threads you mention? Also, does anybody know why Russia isn't playable in the Early Period, or why Switzerland or the Golden Horde aren't playable in the Late Period?
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...-Units-Project The thread is pretty old, that many pictures that were posted there don't work anymore .

Axalon's Avatar She-Hulk wills it!

Well there are various cut content in MTW, for instance...

• All the prince-portraits were never used...
    • A bunch of vice and virtues were never used either - these can be found within da files.
    • A unit or two that didn't make it either - like "Cuman Mercenary Cavalry", and possibly some other as well, if memory serves....
    • And then there was plans for pagan-princesses (mongol) that were abandoned. One can find traces of this within da files, as there are mongol-princess names that were never used. By default, pagans can not have princesses.

There are probably lots of things - but these are just some examples that comes to mind on this note....

- A

Quote Originally Posted by crazyroman View Post
    Thanks! Did not know about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Axalon View Post
    Well there are various cut content in MTW, for instance...

• All the prince-portraits were never used...
    • A bunch of vice and virtues were never used either - these can be found within da files.
    • A unit or two that didn't make it either - like "Cuman Mercenary Cavalry", and possibly some other as well, if memory serves....
    • And then there was plans for pagan-princesses (mongol) that were abandoned. One can find traces of this within da files, as there are mongol-princess names that were never used. By default, pagans can not have princesses.

There are probably lots of things - but these are just some examples that comes to mind on this note....

- A
    Really did not know about this stuff. Do you know where I can find out more? Is there anyway to re-activate any of this using a mod or mod tools?

Axalon's Avatar She-Hulk wills it!

Do you know where I can find out more?
    Look within the game-files - that is the best way to spot such stuff...

Is there anyway to re-activate any of this using a mod or mod tools?
    Well, in short no... However some stuff might be possible "restore" here and there but everything will require work as all such stuff are incomplete and thus dysfunctional. Some things can never be brought back (due to hardcoding), while some things might be possible to "bring back" - kind of, anyways... I never bothered with any of this, so I can't give you any ironclad answers here.

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; July 10, 2019 at 07:40 AM. Reason: clarity...

Quote Originally Posted by Axalon View Post
    Look within the game-files - that is the best way to spot such stuff...

Well, in short no... However some stuff might be possible "restore" here and there but everything will require work as all such stuff are incomplete and thus dysfunctional. Some things can never be brought back (due to hardcoding), while some things might be possible to "bring back" - kind of, anyways... I never bothered with any of this, so I can't give you any ironclad answers here.

- A
    Thanks. The reason I started this thread was because I was thinking of making a "cut content" mod for this game, but in light of the fact that I can't code or do art or graphics, I may need to rethink this...