Thread: The name of the rose (series)

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Default The name of the rose (series)

Hello there.

So I recently found out there's apparently a new (Italian made, but in English) series based on Umberto Eco's novel "The Name of the Rose".

Some of you might know both the novel and the first film made at some point in the 80s (starring John Connery and a very young Christian Bale) both became rather famous, though the author didn't like the movie that much.

So my question is: Did anyone here see that series? Maybe know where one can stream it?

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: The name of the rose (series)

John Connery likely didn't become very famous
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

You disappoint me, Kyriakos!

Sean is the Irish spelling of John, which is the English spelling of Johannes, which is the medieval Latin spelling of Ἰωαννης, which is Greek!

As a Greek patriot you should have known this!

Also, Ἰωαννης is Greek for יוחנן, which is Hebrew.

Do I make mistakes?!
    NEVER!1!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Sorry
    And thank you for the new knowledge
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"

I have only seen the two first episodes, and without being really bad, it was rather disappointing, mainly because of certain questionable choices.

The book and the film were built like a closed universe, in the image of the abbey, and the external events, like the political situation, although important, were just mentioned. In the serie, all is directly shown, thus loosing any suggestive power, and diluting the dramatic strength. This gives inter alia this pointless battle that you can see in the trailer (which is certainly not here to next better contrast with the monastic life, vaguely staged).

Some scenes of the book that were absent from the film, are shown on the screen (the horse of the abbot for example), but this is not well done, without the subtlety of the book, and very probably just to make a difference with the film.

The casting is also rather weird. The actor interpreting William of Baskerville is physically very italian, what is a little annoying for a Fransiscan from the British isles, and his interpretation is far from the original character. And Jorge of Burgos has not exactly the body of a blind ex-librarian here...

In short, this is a more modern adaptation, but never in the best sense of the term (for my taste at least). The making of the film, told by J.J. Annaud is more interresting i think if you want to see something "new" on this universe.

Praeses

John Connery? Are you Sea about that? Christian Bale? Don't mean to Slate your memory...

I have to say Turturro as William of Baskerville is jarring, is it going to become a Big Lebowski reunion? "Christ laughed" "Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion man", and John Goodman as Bernardo Gui "AM I THE ONLY ONE AROUND HER WHO CARES ABOUT HERESY?"
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

I agree that Torturo isn't a good option. Maybe if this production was better they could have got Jeremy Irons.
    And De Burgos was supposed to be an allusion to J.L.Borges - apparently he is very off too.

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

After reading this thread I feel like having a cup of John Daniels.

Always up for a good scotch.