Thread: BC 2.4.2 Submod won't start a new campaign

Default BC 2.4.2 Submod won't start a new campaign

I have been working on a new version of my balance/multiplayer focused mod for Broken Crescent 2.4.2, and it seems I can not make a new campaign. When I select a faction to start a campaign, the game waits for awhile and then goes back to the single player menu. I've tried a fresh install of M2TW and BC and vanilla works fine, but something about my mod breaks the ability to start a new campaign. I troubleshooted for the answer, checking if my reduction in the size of some generals bodyguards and horse archers might have done it or some other change, but I found that this was not the cause. Vanilla BC works fine, and looking at the log file the only thing that stood out for me was that the player.txt file was not being created according to the log file. Current, preexisting save files work fine, and the last time I created a new campaign was on June 16th of this year. Anybody have any insight on this? I've included a mega.nz link to the log file below.

https://mega.nz/#!O2JzASqY!sUQwVAsZ9...v0yqS8DJh-btiU

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: BC 2.4.2 Submod won't start a new campaign

Crash to menu - that's usually an issue with descr_strat and is well documented in the log. Check your mod's CFG file for an entry like underneath, that will show where the log is. If there is no such entry then the log will be in the root of game (system.log.txt) Example from Stainless Steel, blue is the path and red is the name:
    Code:
    [log]
    to=mods/SS6.3/system.log.txt
    Compress the log (7Zip is freeware) and attach\upload it.
    Last edited by Gigantus; July 01, 2019 at 11:01 PM.

bc_log.zip

Hopefully this worked, here it is

Blog Entries

You have got a good number (275) of EDU unit ownership errors (see example) but they are not fatal. Still a good idea to sort them out:
    Code:
    19:09:17.926 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/Broken_Crescent_kingdoms2.4/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 1267, column 105
    unit(bado camels) does not match up to the ownership for faction(normans)
    19:09:17.926 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/Broken_Crescent_kingdoms2.4/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 1268, column 137
    unit(bado camels) does not match up to the ownership for faction(normans)
    Followed by a bunch (12) of trait trigger issues, again non fatal, see example:
    Code:
    19:09:31.755 [game.script] [error] Condition parsing error in mods/Broken_Crescent_kingdoms2.4/data/export_descr_character_traits.txt, at line 11972, column 21
    attribute type not recognised
    There is however no clear indication why the crash back to menu happened other then a full 19 seconds of looping before crashing.

Did you have problems before editing? I am asking because the path to the mod is extremely long (94 characters to root of mod) which is known to create problems:
    Code:
    D:\Steam stuff goes here\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War\mods\Broken_Crescent_kingdoms2.4

I would suggest to shorten the mod's folder name to something like B24 and then adjust the BAT\CFG file entries and desktop short accordingly. If possible move the library to a shorter path (or rename if possible) as well. Take care of the errors I mentioned for good housekeeping and then report back if you still have issues.

This was all pre-existing in the mod, I did not modify campaign mechanics at all, I added new units, changed unit sizes, added some historical battles and more maps in custom battles, but other then that I have never modified anything, especially not in campaign. Can you tell me what to do about the mod not creating a player.txt file, because that seems the obvious culprit.

Also I did go around messing with the battle editor to create said historical battles, and the guide I looked up says that does not work. I circumvented this by saving the maps in vanilla and then making the modifications in Broken Crescent, could this have been the problem? If it was though, I already tried reinstalling without the new maps and battles and the mod still did not work.

Blog Entries

The player.txt file will only be present in the main game's preferences sub folder, not in the mod's folders. The final log entry with that message is a false positive. If you wish you can copy the file from the root's sub folder.

Adding units - how many units are present in the EDU file now? If you are using notepad++ simply search for ownership and then click 'count'. Total minus 1 is actual (unless there is no explanation section at the top). 500 is max.

I was already aware of that, and currently its at 498. Anyway if I had hit the limit the game would be completely unplayable, period.

Blog Entries

Tying up loose ends, matter of habit.

The long path issue comes into play for the attachment path of a model, experience in EBII showed that exceeding about 160-180 characters in total led to problems - a reason why the file and directory names for the attachments are very short in EBII.
    You are starting off with 94 already, add to that \data\ (6) and then the attachment line entry in the modelDB file and you get the total.

I would suggest to run bovine's checker as well as gracul's - they may point you in the right direction.