Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 72223242526272829303132

Thread: How true is the Bible?

Default Re: How true is the Bible?

Quote Originally Posted by wanderwegger View Post
    I am glad you agree Jesus performed miracles. And this we have established scripture saying the the Messiah will not perform miracles, we know Jesus was not Messiah.
    Where do you get that idea? Please in the future, please provide a source when you make a claim. It will save time and aggravation for all.

I am surprised that in a period where so much was written and so much survived no one thought to mention such amazing things.

Why do you thing there are no contemporary sources for Jesus?

We have lost a lot from that period. We don't have any of the original biographies of Alexander the Great written by his contemporaries, only later biographies written centuries later survived. It would not be strange if contemporary accounts of Jesus were lost. In his time and a couple centuries later Jesus was important only to his followers. To most pagan writers he was a nobody. The crowds he attracted were in some rural province of Galilee, attracting crowds of ordinary farmers and sheppards, and old women and young children, exactly the kind of people that these contemporary writers would not have the least interest in. He did not lead any army to attract the notice of the contemporary writers, and large peaceful crowds of peasants would not have interested them.

Jesus did most of his miracles among the people of Galilee and the contemporary writers likely felt little interest in someone healing a bunch of nobodies, and any reportd they heard would be second or third hand hand and dismissed as rumor.

Only his fillowers would have had any interest in Jesus. The letters of Paul date from a mere decade or 2 after Jesus and Paul dealing with people who knew Jesus, and since most of Jesus' would have illiterate fisherman and such, the lack of earlier writing is to be expected. The 4 Gospels were written from 40 years after Jesus death. well within the lifespan of eyewitnesses, to 70 years later, at the end of the lifespan of any eyewitness. Any gospel written after this time period were rejected. From an early time the 4 gospels were the only ones regarded as authentic.

All this contrast to Islam, whose first biography of Muhammad dates to a hundred years or more after his death, when all potential eyewitnesses to his life would have been dead. Nor is there any excuse for this gap in Islam, since Muhammad and his followers had scribes who could have written Muhammad's life. Plus as ruler of Arabia, should have attracted attention of other rulers, but we don't have any account of Muhammad from contemporary rulers.
    Last edited by Common Soldier; August 17, 2020 at 07:59 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Common Soldier View Post

Where do you get that idea? Please in the future, please provide a source when you make a claim. It will save time and aggravation for all.
    Numbers 23:19
    Last edited by wanderwegger; August 17, 2020 at 03:10 AM. Reason: 12345

basics's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

As I've written before we know that from Pentecost on letters were being sent to the new believers and the new churches so there must have been plenty of writing and since these new believers were Jewish it is certain the language would have been in Hebrew. So the letters were the first messages or Gospel about Jesus of Whom they were just learning it is utterly silly to think that writings about Jesus Christ came 50, 60, 70 and 90 years later. If James and John at Jerusalem thought it worthy to send letters about Jesus to the churches then how can anyone imagine that nothing was heard of Jesus until the Gospels appeared as we know them now. The original Hebrew was replaced by Greek when Gentiles became the overwhelming majority so any records have been lost in time and situation.

Numbers 23:19
    Number 23:19 says nothing about the Messiah not performing miracles. So your claim that Jesus was not the Messiah because Jesus performed miracled is wrong.

My bad. Numbers 23:19 is that God is not mortal nor possessing human attributes. It’s proof Jesus could not be god so the Trinity is a false interpretation. I apologize.

My bad. Numbers 23:19 is that God is not mortal nor possessing human attributes. It’s proof Jesus could not be god so the Trinity is a false interpretation. I apologize.
    I .knew you were going to say that. Bur.it.does not.rule.out the. Trinity. Jesus being a man is his normal staten, and was only his temporary state, and he was not a man when the verse waa given. The verse refers to Jesus normal, permanent nature.

Next time be more careful when borrowinf from that Muslim website you are using to save us all time.

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Convenient how you can interpret the verses to mean literally whatever you want them to mean, isn't it?

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Quote Originally Posted by Common Soldier View Post
    I .knew you were going to say that. Bur.it.does not.rule.out the. Trinity. Jesus being a man is his normal staten, and was only his temporary state, and he was not a man when the verse waa given. The verse refers to Jesus normal, permanent nature.

Next time be more careful when borrowinf from that Muslim website you are using to save us all time.
    This is a misunderstanding of Trinitarianism. Something like 8 holy councils have all established that Jesus was divine in human form "a divine being manifest in flesh". The NT often dismisses the OT with arguments you Common would never accept from say me on Islam. Jesus was however determined to a man while he was god. It gets real illogical as you go along.

holds that God is one God, but three coeternal consubstantial persons or hypostases—the Father, the Son (Jesus Christ), and the Holy Spirit—as "one God in three Divine persons"

basics's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

So, the visitation that Mary had from Gabriel telling her about the Child she would bear was something she just made up. How could she have a child when she had never known a man was what she put to that angel and his reply was that this was to be no ordinary child as God the Spirit would enact with her body all that was needed for her to carry Him. God spoke to Joseph her betrothed about all this so what Mary only dreampt up Joseph must have as well so where in fact did Jesus come from? From what illicit father was He able to perform all the miracles that He was to do if not God? So, " A body Thou hast prepared for Me, " was Mary's and the Child she bore was Immanuel, meaning God with us and so it was. !00% God and 100% man to serve and to die for the sins of God's elect.