Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: How true is the Bible?

Default Re: How true is the Bible?

Quote Originally Posted by basics View Post
    Common Soldier,

When we say that there are many truths in the Bible does that also mean there are many untruths in it? If that is the case then we cannot say it is the Word of God because God cannot lie nor has any ned to lie. The Bible is a record of His workings from creation till now and yes even beyond. So, the men who did the writing did so being inspired by the Spirit in them to demonstrate the power that God has over His creation in every aspect. Of course He could have chiselled out the words Himself as He did with the Ten Commandments but then His power to convince would have been lost without the input of man brought to faith throughout the ages. In other words the writers are the messengers carrying His Gospel to the world on His behalf from creation on and so cannot be taken with a pinch of salt if saving grace is to work. It's His Gospel that is the power of God to save and if that Gospel is impaired by error then salvation cannot take place, why? Because what we read or hear of Him has to be by and of faith, a faith that is His gift to give through Jesus Christ our Lord.
    Even granting that God inspired the Bible though the Holy Spirit that does not necessarily make it perfect or entirely free of mistakes in areas that are not critical. God chose to use people to write the Bible and nothing people do is without some error or mistakes and the Bible should not be any exception. People are not perfect, and nothing they do is entirely perfect. Minor errors that are not critical to the message of the Bible is trying to convey are ok. It doesn't really matter if the Last Supper was a Passover Meal or one the day before the Passover, it doesn't take away the critical message that Jesus died and arose on the 3rd day. Confusing the Last Supper meal for a Passover Meal is the kind of error that real eyewitnesses would make remembering events several decades in the past. Scientific studies have shown that eyewitness.memories are not perfect, even for very memorable events. But it is only in the details and not the essenrials that the eyewitness memory is off. Why should the Bible be perfect if nothing else people do is.perfect.
    Last edited by Common Soldier; August 15, 2019 at 11:49 AM.

Praefectus
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Common Soldier View Post
    While the Bible did complain about harlots, I don't recall any passage where priestess were especially targeted for killing any more than the priests. Can you perhaps.recall the passages? ...
    I think there are two terms used for prostitute in the Bible, one meaning common prostitute and one meaning temple prostitute. When the OT rails against 'harlots" is usually against sacred prostitutes, essentially priestesses of non-Yahweh religions.

Just did a quick Google and apparently the scholarship has started questioning the prevalence of sacred prostitution. Certainly the OT assumes that priestesses of foreign religions use sex as part of their worship eg Hosea 4:13.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I think there are two terms used for prostitute in the Bible, one meaning common prostitute and one meaning temple prostitute. When the OT rails against 'harlots" is usually against sacred prostitutes, essentially priestesses of non-Yahweh religions.

Just did a quick Google and apparently the scholarship has started questioning the prevalence of sacred prostitution. Certainly the OT assumes that priestesses of foreign religions use sex as part of their worship eg Hosea 4:13.
    Women can have sex and act as prostitutes as part of their religion, but that does not necessarily make them priestess. I don't recall the OT passages that specifically describe temple prostitutes, can you point them to me? Does rhe Old Testament specifically mention temple prostitutes and specifically describe it, or that merely some scholars opinions on what they merely think that is what the OT says?

In any case, it wAs Herodotus who clearly described the practice of temple prostitution in ancient Babylon. Women would have to serve in the temple at least once in their life and have sex with strangers in thr Temple of Ishtar in Babylon, and I recall the Greek writer saying how less favored women (i.e. ugly) women could take years to fullfil their requirements.

PS - Temple prostitution is still practiced in a few places in India today, the system is called Devdasi. The government has tried to ban it, but it still persist in a few locations.
    Last edited by Common Soldier; August 15, 2019 at 08:58 PM.

Praefectus
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Common Soldier View Post
    Women can have sex and act as prostitutes as part of their religion, but that does not necessarily make them priestess. I don't recall the OT passages that specifically describe temple prostitutes, can you point them to me? Does rhe Old Testament specifically mention temple prostitutes and specifically describe it, or that merely some scholars opinions on what they merely think that is what the OT says?....
    The verse I quoted appears to describe sacred prostitution, I assume a person who is an official of a religion performing a rite is a priest or priestess. Certainly that is the scholarly reading of the OT scholarship in the pas although as I say its been challenged.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

basics's Avatar Praeses

Common Soldier,

When Jesus taught in the synagogues or temple, even in the open air, it was with great authority that left the religious looking silly or stupid, why? Because to Him regarding the Scriptures as the word of God, He taunted them for their ignorance of them. All that He taught had but one objective that being to declare that the Kingdom of God was fulfilled in Him and that remember was the Old Covenant writings. Why even His disciples were confused by it all and that didn't clear until the Holy Spirit fell on them at Pentecost. So when that time arrived and they began to put on parchment the things they had experienced with Him the connection with the Old Covenant writings was emphasised by their writings authenticating these all the way back to Genesis.

So, when Jesus said that not one jot or tittle would pass away regarding Him that must include from Genesis to the book of the Revelation, why? Because every book in the Bible is about His Gospel and taken in faith to be so. That is why a born again believer does so because when they are made regenerate and indwelt by the Holy Spirit, Him not being able to deny Jesus, has to lead them into all truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post

The first word, zōnāh isn't necessarily a prostitute. It can be, or just a woman of questionable sexual morals. It's the feminine noun version of the verbal root z-n-h, which is "to fornicate". That's the more common word. It's also pretty common in modern Hebrew so if you try to look it up written in the Hebrew script you get a lot of pictures of Miley Cyrus. I'd say it's probably a lot like the old school usage of harlot in English.

It's the second word, qədšāh which is a matter of debate. It's the feminine noun version of the verbal root q-d-š, which is "to be holy" or more literally "to separate" or "to set apart". It is pretty clear that a qədšāh like the male qadš had some sort of function in Canaanite temples, and in the Temple of Jerusalem at some point. Early Greek texts translated this as "initiate" rather than as "prostitute". The role of a qədšāh appears to have been analogous to their Mesopotamian counterpart - qadištu in Akkadian. Since there is no clear evidence of them having a role as prostitutes in any Semitic text, scholars have become increasingly skeptical of Herodotus on this issue. In Ugaritic texts qdšm, the masculine plural cognate are usually grouped together with priests - khnm. That's qədšm and kōhănm in the Masoretic Hebrew pronunciation. The male qədšm seem to have served a role along the lines of the Levites in the biblical texts. The female qədšōt (plural) if they were like their Mesopotamian counterparts depicted in cuneiform texts, most likely performed purification rituals for women and served as temple midwives. According to the various Akkadian law codes, such women were afforded the same protections as married women. They may have also been the women in the temple who did weaving for Asherah (2 Kings 23:7). There is one particular Babylonian text, in which qadištu is grouped together with other classes of women known to be celibate due to their relationship with male deities, rather than grouped together with legal classes of women whose sexuality was not regulated, but a qadištu could marry and have children. It's noteworthy that these other classes of women now known to have been celibate had all been assumed to be temple prostitutes by scholars in the past at one point or another.

The biblical connection to it being a prostitute comes from the story of Tamar. She disguises herself as a zōnāh in order to trick Judah into impregnating her. Later when Judah sends her a young goat with his friend as payment, his friend asks for the qədšāh​ who had been by the street earlier, which suggests it was used as a synonym for zōnāh. There is no indication here that Tamar had been associated with a temple. One possibility is that this simply relates to the biblical characterization of the worshiping of Canaanite gods as whoring oneself out to them. Thus a Canaanite qədšāh is seen as a woman who whores herself out to idols, making the word gradually become a synonym for prostitute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

basics's Avatar Praeses

sumskilz,

Would it then be true to say that God in instituting worship in the temple and synagogues separated men from women with the pirpose of negating any lustful thoughts by either sexes during the services? I'm thinking of Jesus' saying that to even think lustfully is as bad as actually doing it and that's why the separation in worship. What's your thoughts?

I hear that Pope no longer considers to be a sin. Is the Bible truer than before now?
    The Armenian Issue
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/group.php?groupid=1930

Cities: Skylines
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ities-Skylines

"We're nice mainly because we're rich and comfortable."

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789