Thread: Total War on a Raspberry Pi 4?

Frtigern's Avatar Tiro

Default Total War on a Raspberry Pi 4?

Is it possible to run Total War games on a this? I'm talking about the 4 GB of RAM model. My goal is to find the lowest power "computer" that can run M2TW mods. My main concern is the OS. It runs a version of Debian called Raspbian, and I'm wondering if there is a way to run games on it. I've heard that some TW titles do run on Linux and MacOS, so is it such a stretch to make it run on a Raspberry Pi 4?. The goal is to create a super-compact PC that can run older TW titles without issue and possibly run off of an airplane power outlet, of course a compact keyboard, mouse and display would also be provided.

The only other solution I see is a 13"-14" ultrabook running with either an Intel MX150/250 or AMD Vega 8/10 GPU, but with a ultrabook you are limited to having it on the foldout tray, which makes you look down and can't always be down. The Pi and standalone monitor solution allows you to mount the display to the seatback display at eye level and you could bring a lapboard that can fit a compact keyboard and mouse.
    Swords don't kill people, people with swords kill people.

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: Total War on a Raspberry Pi 4?

It honestly might be doable if you meant vanilla RTW.

Modded M2TW gets a bit more complex, that requires more hardware resources and trying to play a mod like broken crescent, ebii, or third age will probably consume more hardware resources than you're expecting.

Which M2TW mods are you referring to?

Remember, mods mean the graphics requirements will be higher due to the hand made models (at higher polycount), despite the engine having some limitations and not being conducive to higher polycounts like that, mods still implement those and that will affect performance, alongside of the increase in textures and general graphics quality (plus environments and custom settlements etc).
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Freddie's Avatar The Voice of Reason
    Patrician

Default Re: Total War on a Raspberry Pi 4?

The issue your going to run into with M2TW is the game engine is limited to one processor thread which means your limited to whatever IPC performance the SoC can provide on one thread from it's CPU. The Pi 4 is an impressive upgrade over the Pi 3 and the software support for means it's GPU is very efficient and will out perform more powerful systems (more powerful in terms of hardware specs, when it comes to GPU's software plays a big part in determining just how good it will perform) and i'm looking at getting one to act as an emulator for systems up to and including the 32bit era (PS1, Saturn etc) so it would be a nice experiment to see if you could get it running under WINE.