Thread: Internet Speed

Stario's Avatar Domesticus

Default Internet Speed

Long story short, I recently upgraded my internet plan from a 50mbps/20mbps to a 100mbps/40mbps plan.

I am getting roughly around 96mbps download but my upload is only 10mbps (which was the same as it was on the 50 plan).
    Is this normal? I expected higher upload speeds !?
    Last edited by Stario; June 22, 2019 at 10:21 AM.

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: Internet Speed

If you look carefully you might note that the ISP sneakily includes phrases like "up to X speed", instead of only saying "X speed".

I suggest calling them and complaining. They might not have adjusted something for you. If they refuse to change anything in regards to upload (or it doesn't change at all) ask for either higher download in return, a price reduction or a higher GB cap.

If all else fails perhaps you could contact whatever form of consumer protection you have in your country.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    If you look carefully you might note that the ISP sneakily includes phrases like "up to X speed", instead of only saying "X speed".
    Yeah I know I was hoping for at least 20mbps upload

I suggest calling them and complaining. They might not have adjusted something for you. If they refuse to change anything in regards to upload (or it doesn't change at all) ask for either higher download in return, a price reduction or a higher GB cap.

If all else fails perhaps you could contact whatever form of consumer protection you have in your country.
    The GB cap is unlimited; I also wasn't expecting to hit 96mbps download as Aussie Internets is crap compared to the rest of the world we're behind even Kazakhstan as far as internet speeds. Also the theoretical speed of the NBN here in Australia is only 100mbps (but we know that's only theoretical- so im pretty stoked at the download speed).
    I checked the PC for viruses looked at router setup etc. but everything seems fine. Also if the router was the problem wouldn't it be expected both download & upload speeds be down? I am just trying to find as much info as possible (before I ring them), knowing how the telcos operate here; if they can con me into buying new hardware they will, or they will try to sell me some BS story about the problem being on my side not theirs etc.
    Last edited by Stario; June 23, 2019 at 09:42 AM.

Download and Upload speeds are usually different for ISPs. They purposely lock the upload speeds to save bandwidth load on overall network and people usually don't complain about it since most of them only care for download. Upload speed is mainly a concern for content creators.

Just wanted to update- I finally figured it out today.

It seemed there was a program running in background called 'killer manager' for my Killer E2200 Gigabit Ethernet Controller. Which was out of date & support/driver updates was ceased for the program- what made me initially suspicious is that the program was capping by bandwidth to 10mbps upload & 100Mbps download
    After some research in also turns out that these days my Ethernet Controller is supported by a different newer suite/program called 'Killer Control Center'. So i downloaded it and noticed it had a 1500mbps restriction for both upload/download speed.
    Now I just did a few speed test on Ookla and my Download speed is the usual 95-96mbps but upload went up from 9-10mbps to 36-37mbps...this makes me a very happy man

Anyone using 'Killer E2200 Gigabit Ethernet Controller' who is not getting the speeds paying for should check this out.
    Last edited by Stario; October 30, 2019 at 09:14 AM.

Thanks for the update, it's an excellent reminder that whenever you have issues with your PC, it may very well be software related. Always useful to either update or rollback firmware.

Apparently, it's a program that came with my Ethernet controller (i never even knew such programs/control centres even existed until i discovered it other day- seems like everything these days has some kind of control centre etc.).
    But what I don't understand is that its default setting was to cap bandwidth at such low level- don't really understand the logic behind that- why not just ship it with everything unlocked- so tech unsavvy guys like me don't have to figure it out. And why would anyone even want to cap bandwidth in the first place?!

It took me 6 months to figure it out & in between those 6 months I did everything from checking for the usual viruses/malware, updating drivers on literally every device I own lol, updating router firmware, even going out to the shops & getting a bunch of Cat 5e cables & installing them etc. (but nothing worked etc).
    Last edited by Stario; October 31, 2019 at 01:21 AM.

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    Moderator Emeritus

Interesting update. Most everyone thinks to update drivers but I dont think anyone would have expected a whole new program would fix the issue. Mainly because updating drivers would fix the issues if it was that, since that is actually what "drives" your hardware like a car. It seems like the company decided not to release a driver update that resolved the issue and instead wanted people to upgrade to that control center.

It is an odd business decision from my perspective. Overall it is really strange, Im glad you fixed it though.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Well the new control center was free download- there was an option (albeit I don't understand why it wasn't default), in old control centre to unlock bandwidth (i am 99% sure that would have done the trick without having to update to a new control centre). But staying with the old would also mean incompatibility issues with newest drivers (at least that's what the disclaimer stated on company website).
    Also, the new control centre has much more option/tweaks available & is also more user friendly/aesthetically friendlier on the eyes.