Thread: Game won't Launch!

Default Game won't Launch!

Well that was a disappointment! Bought the game through Steam and the yellow turban rebellion...could I get it to launch? Could I hell!!!! You name it I tried it! Got my refund from Steam and going back to play Shogun 2. Looks a great game though!! Does appear to be a problem with a lot of people!!

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: Game won't Launch!

Usually these things are user related. I understand your frustration, we could have tried to solve your issues, but since you got a refund,no point to discuss it further.
    FYI the game is running much better than previous titles and for me it's silky smooth without any issues. The reports I have seen so far are 99% hardware,driver or OS related.

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Greek Strategos♔ View Post
    Usually these things are user related. I understand your frustration, we could have tried to solve your issues, but since you got a refund,no point to discuss it further.
    FYI the game is running much better than previous titles and for me it's silky smooth without any issues. The reports I have seen so far are 99% hardware,driver or OS related.
    NO! please discuss it further as I want the game!......surely it is something that can easily be fixed otherwise CA are losing £££££££!

But how would you be able to test anything he suggests if you've already gotten your refund, is his point I believe.

Also what he says about hardware/drivers/conflicting programs is every pc is different,
    you might have the exact same hardware as someone else but haven't updated your drivers which could cause an issue
    Or you might have specific programs installed that work in harmony with the rest of your system but not with
    this game.
    You might have hardware that is below minimum spec,
    Or you might have hardware that is faulty(I used to crash in Overwatch due to a faulty motherboard
    while I didn't have any issues with other games)

Or a million other things.
    Last edited by ABullishBear; June 16, 2019 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Typo

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Thread moved from the Three Kingdoms General Discussion forum.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Master Jedi's Avatar Foederatus

Hi all
    I would like to have an assistance here
    My game runs pretty much fine on my desktop, but simply will not launch on laptop
    My laptop config is way better then desktop. For example my videocard on desktop is 1080 GTX and on laptop 2070 RTX
    I have 64Gb Ram on laptop, comparing to 16Gb on desktop, i9 CPU compared to i7 gen 3...SSD NVMe vs HDD...
    All drivers are up to date
    Any help?
    I realize that since it's running fine on older system and doesn't launch on more modern one, it's some computer-related issue, but I'd also like to find it and fix it
    Last edited by Master Jedi; January 23, 2020 at 05:03 AM.

Does the game launcher work?

The only thing I can think of is an issue with the graphics driver or the graphics settings.

- Try out Guru3d's Display Driver Uninstaller to uninstall the driver and start with an completely clean driver installation.
    - Could you post the graphics settings? I can't remember where they are all stored, but posting the following from Appdata/The Creative Assembly/3K should give some info
    - gfx.log from Logs should give some info on how 3K sees your GPU
    - preferences.script from Scripts should give some info on what graphics settings you're running.

Really sucks that The Creative Assembly doesn't work with output logs, considering the amount of people with issues with TW games :/

Quote Originally Posted by JupiterMoneta View Post
    Does the game launcher work?
    It starts definitely, I don't see it in task manager, but when I used Sysinternals Process Explorer, I have seen the launcher process starting and then closing almost immediately

The only thing I can think of is an issue with the graphics driver or the graphics settings.

- Try out Guru3d's Display Driver Uninstaller to uninstall the driver and start with an completely clean driver installation.
    I think so too, some hook corrupted may be or not working properly, but as I said I have all latest driver versions and all other games, including total wars start fine

- Could you post the graphics settings? I can't remember where they are all stored, but posting the following from Appdata/The Creative Assembly/3K should give some info:/
    When I went to %Appdate%The Creative Assembly, I didn't find The Three kingdoms folder, Atilla is there, Rome2 as well, but not this one...Not surprising though...This one is being created with first launch of the game, I think. I tried once to put all my Rome2 saves, by creating a soft link for Rome2 folder and actually placing it in the other drive-didn't work, it created completely new Rome2 folder upon start
    Last edited by Master Jedi; January 25, 2020 at 09:05 AM.

Krieglord's Avatar Primicerius

Hi there, I was wondering if anyone has figured out the launcher issue yet?

I have had similar problems since purchase, and with other TW titles that use the new launcher, where it almost gets into a loop of opening and closing, normally I am able to use the launcher release candidate in the beta section, but now it is no longer compatible with Three Kingdoms.

Any advice to get the launcher working, or way around it would be much obliged

Edit - Nevermind I seem to have got it working, had to manually create a new user script and list mods, then move the mods from The Steam workshop folder directly into tw3k/data

2nd Edit - Hmm the game was working fine yesterday but the problem seems to have presented itself again, everytime I try opening it, a windows box comes up asking if it can make changes to used_mod text in my tw3k main folder
    Last edited by Krieglord; February 05, 2020 at 06:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Krieglord View Post
    Hi there, I was wondering if anyone has figured out the launcher issue yet?

I have had similar problems since purchase, and with other TW titles that use the new launcher, where it almost gets into a loop of opening and closing, normally I am able to use the launcher release candidate in the beta section, but now it is no longer compatible with Three Kingdoms.

Any advice to get the launcher working, or way around it would be much obliged

Edit - Nevermind I seem to have got it working, had to manually create a new user script and list mods, then move the mods from The Steam workshop folder directly into tw3k/data

2nd Edit - Hmm the game was working fine yesterday but the problem seems to have presented itself again, everytime I try opening it, a windows box comes up asking if it can make changes to used_mod text in my tw3k main folder
    Wasn't able to find a fix yet
    By your description you, at least can launch it without mods? I can't do even that. And The Three Kingdoms folder and contents aren't ever created in %Appdata%