Submissions for the MCWC XX (our 20th Monthly Creative Writing Competition) opened in January. We've had one entry so far, more entries would be welcome!

As I see it, it doesn't matter if a competition doesn't run for a while. At times, writers are keen to compete and, at other times, writers just want to post stories and encourage each other. It's normal for the MCWC to only run occasionally. However, the MCWC hasn't run yet in 2019, so I'm inviting everyone to say what you'd prefer to happen. I'll suggest three options:

1. We keep things as they are: we have a submissions thread open for the MCWC, the competition runs when we get three (or more) entries.

2. We suspend the MCWC, without replacing it with anything else. If people request a revival of the competition in future, we'll re-open it.

3. We merge the MCWC and MAARC, allowing both creative writing (CW) and After Action Reports (AARs) to be entered in the MAARC.

While I could be wrong, I imagine that the third option is the most controversial. Perhaps we shouldn't do this, because creative writing and AARs are different and different styles of writing should enter different competitions? However, in the same MAARC, we could have a novel-style AAR, an AAR of screenshots with brief comments, an AAR of text with no screenshots, a history-book AAR, an AAR which shows the game-play in a game or mod, an AAR which demonstrates strategy and a video AAR (which could be in any of these styles). If an AAR with no screenshot can compete with other styles of AAR, then would it be different to allow CW to compete with AARs? Perhaps it would be - I'd be interested to hear your thinking on this and the other options.

Which option would you prefer and why? Feel free to suggest additional options.