Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roman FMs and their hatred for games/races

Default Re: Roman FMs and their hatred for games/races

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    I am happy that you took the initiative to suggest a fix for what probably many of us see as dysfunctional trait mechanism. BUT:

Are you serious or is that some kind of joke? I am not in opposition of that view per se (that there might be some kind of negative correlation between enthusiasm about sports and IQ), but generally it is dangerous to associate preferences like that with attributes such as intelligence. Just like with political views; on the left people tend to think that only unschooled oafs subscribe to right-wing views while on the right they think that only a naive nincompoops can tolerate associating with the left. The truth is that people of all levels of intellect can come to opposing views in their thinking depending on their personal preferences, life experience, and social connections. We all live in some kinds of social bubbles; mine is the kind in which most people have a master's degree or a PhD yet like sports.

Classical sources do tell us that upper-class people in Rome would generally go out to have lunch during the more brutal shows in the games, but since the games as a whole were of religious nature and organized by the ruling elite, I think we would do well not to factor in intelligence as such. It is unlikely that a particularly slow-witted local ruler would have put much more effort into the games than an intelligent one.
    I was actually basing it on the bread and circuses phrase atributted to Juvenal. And the chances from intelligent and ignorant only differ from 1% to 3%, so huge, omg

Anyway, this was just a quick fix, a more detailed discussion will follow and better triggers will be created.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitanio View Post
    I was actually basing it on the bread and circuses phrase atributted to Juvenal. And the chances from intelligent and ignorant only differ from 1% to 3%, so huge, omg

Anyway, this was just a quick fix, a more detailed discussion will follow and better triggers will be created.
    Fair enough! I am not going to challenge the idea of keeping the ignorant masses happy with gladiator fights, venationes, and ice hockey or soccer games. I guess that is established well throughout history. An intelligent ruler would conceivably cater to those preferences well

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitanio View Post

I think some other traits could also play a role in the triggers... for example, a gambler would have an increased chance of getting the RacesFan traitline

Quote Originally Posted by Rospokadu View Post
    I think some other traits could also play a role in the triggers... for example, a gambler would have an increased chance of getting the RacesFan traitline
    this forum will not rest until the strategic level of total war is comparable to that of europa universalis....

Quote Originally Posted by Rospokadu View Post
    That is one of the traits considered for the new triggers, thank Mephiston for that

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12