Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 54

Thread: Jo Brand did nothing wrong, but the BBC and police did.

  1. #1
    Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    NI
    Posts
    6,033

    Default Jo Brand did nothing wrong, but the BBC and police did.

    https://news.sky.com/story/theresa-m...dcast-11741134

    Jo Brand recently made a joke about throwing battery acid on Brexiteer politicians. Some think it was incitement to violence, but it is not. Neither the context nor the intent was to inite violence.

    Now here’s the thing, this needs to be approached with nuance. While Jo Brand shouldn’t be in some way punished for this, it would be double standards for her not to be. That is to say, she did nothing wrong, but the people who would indict her would be. Which is either the BBC sacking/blacklisting her, and the police charging her with causing gross offence, or the same doing nothing, which is double standards compared to their reactions to previous similar cases.



    Here’s the joke in context.



    This was a pretty good discussion where Tom Walker and David Vance point out why the joke is free speech and why the BBC is being hypocritical.

    And to put it out there, the argument against her being allowed to say what she said is around incitement to violence which absolutely should be illegal. It’s not the same issue as silly hatespeech and offensive jokes, and therefore is not hypocrisy.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    Political violence wasn't started or popularized by Nazis, nor is there any association between the two. The fact that Antifa violently respond to far-right movements is a sign of a healthy and responsible polity, not authoritarian groupthink. Indeed, political violence is often the most effective and most responsible method to prevent normalization of abhorrent ideas.

  2. #2
    Big War Bird's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    12,216

    Default Re: Jo Brand did nothing wrong, but the BBC and police did.

    She says certain politicians are"very, very easy to hate."

    I would like to ask her, why does she hate so easily?

    As a teenager, I was taken to various houses and flats above takeaways in the north of England, to be beaten, tortured and raped over 100 times. I was called a “white slag” and “white ****” as they beat me.

    -Ella Hill

  3. #3

    Default Re: Jo Brand did nothing wrong, but the BBC and police did.

    Isn't David Vance milkshake fodder?

    My understanding is that he's promoting a book by a For Britain candidate, For Britain, being a remnant that was kicked out of UKIP (ffs) for being too racist. The party had links to the banned National Action before the justice system compelled them to clean up their act. I believe it is still tied to Generation Identity, the group that inspired the Christchurch massacre.

    Fair argument, shame about the support act.

    As for the milkshake bukkake monster Carl Benjamin, uber loser, enough said.

    I suggest less tainted sources.
    Last edited by mongrel; June 13, 2019 at 11:33 PM.
    Absolutley Barking, Mudpit Mutt Former Patron: Garbarsardar

    "Out of the crooked tree of humanity,no straight thing can be made." Immanuel Kant
    "Oh Yeah? What about a cricket bat? That's pretty straight. Just off the top of my head..." Al Murray, Pub Landlord.

  4. #4
    caratacus's Avatar Primicerius
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    U.K.
    Posts
    3,692

    Default Re: Jo Brand did nothing wrong, but the BBC and police did.

    This is so typical of today's identity politics, which hate people for their views to the extent of endorsing violence against them. Pie's argument that it all to do with context, fails to acknowledge that people who hate, wouldn't see this as a twisted joke but instead confirm the legitamcy of their personal hatred amd loathing. Any attack on anyone whether it is mikshake or anything else, shouldn't be endorsed using humour. I don't see how anyone can make a joke of something so vile and horrendous anyhow. Perhas Brand shoud be forced to see pictures of victims of such crime, the majority of wich tend to be women. I would have thought her age would have provided some sense and responsibility, but evidently not.

    I'm no fan of the BBC, their comedy on Radio 4 is trully pathetic and they are blatenty pushing an anti Brext agenda constantly. It use to be a producer of quality entertaining, informative programming and its news service respected around the World, but not anymore. The fact that the BBC defended this is disgusting and this organisation shouldn't continue to be finasnced using a television tax.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Jo Brand did nothing wrong, but the BBC and police did.

    Quote Originally Posted by caratacus View Post
    This is so typical of today's identity politics, which hate people for their views to the extent of endorsing violence against them. Pie's argument that it all to do with context, fails to acknowledge that people who hate, wouldn't see this as a twisted joke but instead confirm the legitamcy of their personal hatred amd loathing. Any attack on anyone whether it is mikshake or anything else, shouldn't be endorsed using humour. I don't see how anyone can make a joke of something so vile and horrendous anyhow. Perhas Brand shoud be forced to see pictures of victims of such crime, the majority of wich tend to be women. I would have thought her age would have provided some sense and responsibility, but evidently not.

    I'm no fan of the BBC, their comedy on Radio 4 is trully pathetic and they are blatenty pushing an anti Brext agenda constantly. It use to be a producer of quality entertaining, informative programming and its news service respected around the World, but not anymore. The fact that the BBC defended this is disgusting and this organisation shouldn't continue to be finasnced using a television tax.
    BBC pro -leave? That's news to me. But yes the country hasn't been the same since Jo Cox was gunned down for not being racist. Jo Brand did do something wrong. The OP's question should be confined* to whether it is worthy of prosecution. Farage, that so-called champion of free speech, thinks so, nothwithstanding his contribution to the comedic arts..

    * Disclaimer Mongrel does not imply 'ownership' of thread.
    Absolutley Barking, Mudpit Mutt Former Patron: Garbarsardar

    "Out of the crooked tree of humanity,no straight thing can be made." Immanuel Kant
    "Oh Yeah? What about a cricket bat? That's pretty straight. Just off the top of my head..." Al Murray, Pub Landlord.

  6. #6
    Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    NI
    Posts
    6,033

    Default Re: Jo Brand did nothing wrong, but the BBC and police did.

    Farage believes that incitement of violence should be illegal and I agree with him.

    For him it is personal, and thus he’s more inclined to see this as incitement.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    Political violence wasn't started or popularized by Nazis, nor is there any association between the two. The fact that Antifa violently respond to far-right movements is a sign of a healthy and responsible polity, not authoritarian groupthink. Indeed, political violence is often the most effective and most responsible method to prevent normalization of abhorrent ideas.

  7. #7
    Settra's Avatar the Imperishable
    Content Emeritus

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Nehekhara
    Posts
    14,115

    Default Re: Jo Brand did nothing wrong, but the BBC and police did.

    Then why does he incite to violence?
    Under the patronage of Squid Girl. I am here, click me!



  8. #8
    Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    NI
    Posts
    6,033

    Default Re: Jo Brand did nothing wrong, but the BBC and police did.

    He has never incited violence.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    Political violence wasn't started or popularized by Nazis, nor is there any association between the two. The fact that Antifa violently respond to far-right movements is a sign of a healthy and responsible polity, not authoritarian groupthink. Indeed, political violence is often the most effective and most responsible method to prevent normalization of abhorrent ideas.

  9. #9
    Settra's Avatar the Imperishable
    Content Emeritus

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Nehekhara
    Posts
    14,115

    Default Re: Jo Brand did nothing wrong, but the BBC and police did.

    I distinctly remember his and UKIP's Britain for Britons rallies and various slogans, chants and quips against the immigrant from Romania and Bulgaria who was just waiting to go over and steal Britain from honest Englishman such as himself.

    I personally know cases of people who got beaten up by UKIP members as a result of Farage's remarks about thieving and "floods of immigrants". One of them is a doctor who lived in London for 15 years prior to that.
    Last edited by Settra; June 15, 2019 at 03:42 PM.
    Under the patronage of Squid Girl. I am here, click me!



  10. #10

    Default Re: Jo Brand did nothing wrong, but the BBC and police did.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    He has never incited violence.

    Farage May 2016: "I think it's legitimate to say that if people feel they have lost control completely, and we have lost control of our borders completely as members of the EU, and if people feel that voting doesn't change anything then violence is the next step.""I find it difficult to contemplate it happening here, but nothing's impossible."
    Is his reference to the drowning of gay people in a swimming pool ( reference Barrymore) amusing or just regular homophobia?
    Absolutley Barking, Mudpit Mutt Former Patron: Garbarsardar

    "Out of the crooked tree of humanity,no straight thing can be made." Immanuel Kant
    "Oh Yeah? What about a cricket bat? That's pretty straight. Just off the top of my head..." Al Murray, Pub Landlord.

  11. #11
    Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    NI
    Posts
    6,033

    Default Re: Jo Brand did nothing wrong, but the BBC and police did.

    Quote Originally Posted by Settra View Post
    I distinctly remember his and UKIP's Britain for Britons rallies and various slogans, chants and quips against the immigrant from Romania and Bulgaria who was just waiting to go over and steal Britain from honest Englishman such as himself.

    I personally know cases of people who got beaten up by UKIP members as a result of Farage's remarks about thieving and "floods of immigrants". One of them is a doctor who lived in London for 15 years prior to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    Is his reference to the drowning of gay people in a swimming pool ( reference Barrymore) amusing or just regular homophobia?
    I’m afraid none of that is incitement of violence. I don’t even know if he said ‘Britain for Britons’. Settra, campaigning against abnormally large levels of Eastern European migration is not at all incitement.

    Saying that people might turn to violence if voting is not doing anything is not particularly new or controversial. Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    Political violence wasn't started or popularized by Nazis, nor is there any association between the two. The fact that Antifa violently respond to far-right movements is a sign of a healthy and responsible polity, not authoritarian groupthink. Indeed, political violence is often the most effective and most responsible method to prevent normalization of abhorrent ideas.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Jo Brand did nothing wrong, but the BBC and police did.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    I’m afraid none of that is incitement of violence. I don’t even know if he said ‘Britain for Britons’. Settra, campaigning against abnormally large levels of Eastern European migration is not at all incitement.

    Saying that people might turn to violence if voting is not doing anything is not particularly new or controversial. Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.
    Inciting revolution is inciting violence, but I digress. It's hypocritical of someone who jokes about drowning gay people to demand police intervention regarding a a clearly caveated joke about acid attacks.
    Last edited by mongrel; June 16, 2019 at 01:05 AM.
    Absolutley Barking, Mudpit Mutt Former Patron: Garbarsardar

    "Out of the crooked tree of humanity,no straight thing can be made." Immanuel Kant
    "Oh Yeah? What about a cricket bat? That's pretty straight. Just off the top of my head..." Al Murray, Pub Landlord.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Jo Brand did nothing wrong, but the BBC and police did.

    I have a question for you Aexodus. I know you don't like my ''aggressive'' style, but where exactly do you draw the line? And I mean, when do you say ''enough is enough with these people''. This case is a minor incident, but nonetheless an example of the double standards of the White Liberal crowd. There's a research I posted evidencing they are the most hypocritical across all groups on this:
    https://www.researchgate.net/publica..._of_Censorship

    The thing is.. they will never stop. Mostly because not only they get away with it, but they score social points every time they do it. There's an incentive for this behaviour. Meaning that in the long run, they'll prevail and it's going to be a dystopia way worse than what a combination of Orwell and Huxley. Unless they are stopped now. So what's the plan?

  14. #14

    Default Re: Jo Brand did nothing wrong, but the BBC and police did.

    The 'White Liberal crowd' neither commissioned the joke, told the joke, nor clamoured for Jo Brand's prosecution.
    Absolutley Barking, Mudpit Mutt Former Patron: Garbarsardar

    "Out of the crooked tree of humanity,no straight thing can be made." Immanuel Kant
    "Oh Yeah? What about a cricket bat? That's pretty straight. Just off the top of my head..." Al Murray, Pub Landlord.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Jo Brand did nothing wrong, but the BBC and police did.

    It still demands the right to censor, fire or bully anyone who's not in line with their extremist positions. White Liberal intolerance and hypocrisy on censorship is well documented.
    https://www.researchgate.net/publica..._of_Censorship

    The only way to fix media is to remove White Liberals from them. Apply Popper's paradox of intolerance. You can't tolerate the intolerant.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Jo Brand did nothing wrong, but the BBC and police did.

    Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    The 'White Liberal crowd' neither commissioned the joke, told the joke, nor clamoured for Jo Brand's prosecution.
    Should she be prosecuted, mongrel?

  17. #17

    Default Re: Jo Brand did nothing wrong, but the BBC and police did.

    Quote Originally Posted by Infidel144 View Post
    Should she be prosecuted, mongrel?

    She won't be, have you not heard the news? And before you ask, my personal opinion is worthless, what she said doesn't meet prosecution guidelines. End of.


    Quote Originally Posted by Basil II the B.S View Post
    It still demands the right to censor, fire or bully anyone who's not in line with their extremist positions. White Liberal intolerance and hypocrisy on censorship is well documented.
    https://www.researchgate.net/publica..._of_Censorship

    The only way to fix media is to remove White Liberals from them. Apply Popper's paradox of intolerance. You can't tolerate the intolerant.

    That's private companies and /or the law, not 'White Liberals' and their positions relate to public safety, I'm all for giving paedos, jihadis, and white supramacists a hard time.
    Last edited by mongrel; June 17, 2019 at 02:00 AM.
    Absolutley Barking, Mudpit Mutt Former Patron: Garbarsardar

    "Out of the crooked tree of humanity,no straight thing can be made." Immanuel Kant
    "Oh Yeah? What about a cricket bat? That's pretty straight. Just off the top of my head..." Al Murray, Pub Landlord.

  18. #18
    Praefectus
    Citizen

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    6,052

    Default Re: Jo Brand did nothing wrong, but the BBC and police did.

    Isn't she that comedian? I mean you take incitement seriously if its a political or religious leader, if some idiot like Alex Jones or Brand says it it means nothing. people who commit violence because they misunderstood a joke awill do it because they misunderstood their religion or their horoscope.

    Trump's an interesting case, he's clearly a buffoon, but serious and respected people used to occupy his office. I'd say his comments about getting away with murder or having Clinton assassinated were not actionable because 1. they were jokes and 2. he's an arseclown. He does denigrate the office of POTUS but his verbal diarrhoea isn't actionable.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

  19. #19

    Default Re: Jo Brand did nothing wrong, but the BBC and police did.

    Off-handed jokes about throwing acid at someone is not OK. She seems to have understood that right after saying it and apologized.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    I’m afraid none of that is incitement of violence. I don’t even know if he said ‘Britain for Britons’. Settra, campaigning against abnormally large levels of Eastern European migration is not at all incitement.
    Saying that people might turn to violence if voting is not doing anything is not particularly new or controversial. Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.
    Farage have done that more than once:
    "But if they don't deliver this Brexit that I spent 25 years of my life working for, then I will be forced to don khaki, pick up a rifle and head for the front lines."
    A few times at least:
    Now it’s time for strategy, as Farage tells supporters how to confront MPs. “I don’t want you writing letters to them. Go and visit them at their surgeries, queue around the block, meet them face to face, make them feel the heat, make them understand that being part of a customs union, being a vassal state with laws made somewhere else, is unacceptable. And that if they do this, you will never give them your vote again. Make. Them. Feel. The. Heat. We in Leave Means Leave are reactivating the people’s army.”
    The Armenian Issue
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/group.php?groupid=1930

    Cities: Skylines
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ities-Skylines

    "We're nice mainly because we're rich and comfortable."

  20. #20
    Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    NI
    Posts
    6,033

    Default Re: Jo Brand did nothing wrong, but the BBC and police did.

    That’s not incitement mate. I’m quite disappointed in Farage who thinks this is more than a joke.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    Political violence wasn't started or popularized by Nazis, nor is there any association between the two. The fact that Antifa violently respond to far-right movements is a sign of a healthy and responsible polity, not authoritarian groupthink. Indeed, political violence is often the most effective and most responsible method to prevent normalization of abhorrent ideas.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •