Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jo Brand did nothing wrong, but the BBC and police did.

Default Re: Jo Brand did nothing wrong, but the BBC and police did.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Isn't she that comedian? I mean you take incitement seriously if its a political or religious leader, if some idiot like Alex Jones or Brand says it it means nothing. people who commit violence because they misunderstood a joke awill do it because they misunderstood their religion or their horoscope.

Trump's an interesting case, he's clearly a buffoon, but serious and respected people used to occupy his office. I'd say his comments about getting away with murder or having Clinton assassinated were not actionable because 1. they were jokes and 2. he's an arseclown. He does denigrate the office of POTUS but his verbal diarrhoea isn't actionable.
    Wrong. If Alex Jones says something stupid, the genocidal vermins on your side try to ruin his business and banish him from the internet.
    You get to make dark jokes only if you are a liberal excrement like Jo Brand and it's against the modern Jew of liberal societies: straight white conservative males.

How about you take some responsibility for the ing evil people that are on your side?

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    That’s not incitement mate. I’m quite disappointed in Farage who thinks this is more than a joke.
    He justified violence as a legitimate option. He promised violence if he doesn't get his way. He encouraged people to confront others face to face while calling them an army. He did all that as an MP. Those are pretty straight forward cases of inciting violence.
    The Armenian Issue

Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    He justified violence as a legitimate option. He promised violence if he doesn't get his way. He encouraged people to confront others face to face while calling them an army. He did all that as an MP. Those are pretty straight forward cases of inciting violence.
    Only if you ignore context and tone - which of course you do. Were Farage (who is an MEP not an MP) guilty of "straight forwardly" inciting violence he'd have been arrested, tried and convicted. Thankfully the police, the CPS, the judiciary and the overwhelming majority of citizens do not deliberately overlook context in order to fallaciously assign criminal motives to people with whom they disagree politically.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    She won't be, have you not heard the news?
    Not what I asked.
    And before you ask, my personal opinion is worthless, what she said doesn't meet prosecution guidelines. End of.
    I already did ask, but of course you won't answer, because if you say 'yes' you'd be lying, and have yourself called for 'milkshaking' to be done (while admitting you know it constitutes criminal activity), and if you say no you'd be called on your hypocrisy for cheering on similar cases with people being prosecuted.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

@Infidel "I will throw battery acid on politician x because y" - direct threat, should be prosecuted. "Why bother wit a milkeshake when you can get battery acid. I'm not gonna do it but a milkshake is just pathetic" - not direct threat. No prosecution

Quote Originally Posted by Basil II the B.S View Post
    Wrong. If Alex Jones says something stupid, the genocidal vermins on your side try to ruin his business and banish him from the internet.
    You get to make dark jokes only if you are a liberal excrement like Jo Brand and it's against the modern Jew of liberal societies: straight white conservative males.

How about you take some responsibility for the ing evil people that are on your side?
    You cannot compare a single joke to 15 years worth of Alex Jones.

Also, you seem to be contradicting yourself. Merely one page ago you were accusing the "liberals" of wanting to silence Jo Brand. Now she is a "liberal excrement".
    Last edited by Sir Adrian; June 17, 2019 at 08:42 AM.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

With so many acid attacks in London, I doubt anyone actually needed Jo Brand if they were to use acid against a politician.
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Quote Originally Posted by ep1c_fail View Post
    Only if you ignore context and tone - which of course you do. Were Farage (who is an MEP not an MP) guilty of "straight forwardly" inciting violence he'd have been arrested, tried and convicted. Thankfully the police, the CPS, the judiciary and the overwhelming majority of citizens do not deliberately overlook context in order to fallaciously assign criminal motives to people with whom they disagree politically.
    If there was a relevant context, you would have already pointed at it.
    The Armenian Issue

If there was a relevant context, you would have already pointed at it.
    No one serious thinks that Farage's comments about "don[ning] khaki" were anything other than a rhetorical device or that his description of his supporters as an "army" was a reference to some form of violent insurrection. The British government doesn't just let people openly incite militant rebellions.
    Last edited by alhoon; June 19, 2019 at 03:19 PM. Reason: minor disruptive part removed

caratacus's Avatar Primicerius

I see this turned into a bash the Farage thread. Legally there was a weak case against Brand, she didn't name the victim of the joke (if you can call it) but alluded to them. Nor could she have dome anything without the BBC faciitating its public dissemination, because I doubt this was a live broadcast. It is therefore the BBC who would face any such prosecution and almost certainly the reason, the joke was edited out when the programme was repeated.

However, given the earlier defensive of the joke, what it does illustrate all too well is that a public broadcasster is not the least bit sensitive to the subject of attacks on people, if they are seen as being right wing. Litte wonder that the programme maker David Baddiel, idenitifies himself as a prpgrassive left wing comedian. In this BBC interview he defends the joke without apology and says it was part of Jo Brands repertoire against people she "hates" Since when did hate be a worhty subject to condone rather than mock and ridicule, through the medium of humour by the BBC?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

For most people it isn't about freedom of speech but why this was seen fit to be made the subject of light entertainment by the BBC, if it passes their political acid test. It's not Jo Brand in the dock with this, it's the BBC and bias broadcasting

Quote Originally Posted by caratacus View Post
    I see this turned into a bash the Farage thread. Legally there was a weak case against Brand, she didn't name the victim of the joke (if you can call it) but alluded to them. Nor could she have dome anything without the BBC faciitating its public dissemination, because I doubt this was a live broadcast. It is therefore the BBC who would face any such prosecution and almost certainly the reason, the joke was edited out when the programme was repeated.

However, given the earlier defensive of the joke, what it does illustrate all too well is that a public broadcasster is not the least bit sensitive to the subject of attacks on people, if they are seen as being right wing. Litte wonder that the programme maker David Baddiel, idenitifies himself as a prpgrassive left wing comedian. In this BBC interview he defends the joke without apology and says it was part of Jo Brands repertoire against people she "hates" Since when did hate be a worhty subject to condone rather than mock and ridicule, through the medium of humour by the BBC?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

For most people it isn't about freedom of speech but why this was seen fit to be made the subject of light entertainment by the BBC, if it passes their political acid test. It's not Jo Brand in the dock with this, it's the BBC and bias broadcasting
    Baddiel voiced his support for Meechan too, you know.

Baddiel voiced his support for Meechan too, you know.
    But there is a difference isn't there. One was put out as content on a programme by a public service broadcaster, one was not. I and a great deal of others expect a lot more from the BBC and are unhappy about the direction it is going. Lets set aside the sensitivity of the subject and the legal question. It was politically done to mock and dehumanise those who are the victims of attacks. Doesn't matter if it was milkshake or anything else, it ain't funny, it's assault.

Quote Originally Posted by caratacus View Post
    But there is a difference isn't there. One was put out as content on a programme by a public service broadcaster, one was not. I and a great deal of others expect a lot more from the BBC and are unhappy about the direction it is going. Lets set aside the sensitivity of the subject and the legal question. It was politically done to mock and dehumanise those who are the victims of attacks. Doesn't matter if it was milkshake or anything else, it ain't funny, it's assault.
    There isn't a difference in Baddiel's attitude: he has defended jokes from both political wings. I'm not sure why you raised him when attempting to highlight the Beeb's alleged progressive favouritism. The most prominent recent instance of BBC hypocrisy with respect to offensive humour was its interview treatment of Carl Benjamin - who was repeatedly scolded for his inappropriate jokes by an employee of an institution which had Frankie Boyle as a prime time performer for years.
    Last edited by Cope; June 17, 2019 at 11:38 AM.

There isn't a difference in Baddiel's attitude: he has defended jokes from both political wings. I'm not sure why you raised him when attempting to highlight the Beeb's alleged progressive favouritism.
    Baddiel created and produced "Heresy" the show which Brand appeared on. He is fully aware that saying anything other than to defend free speech, woud look completely biased. It isn't about one show anyhow. Anyone who listens to radio and television regulary, will know that anti Brexit comments are often dropped into shows that have nothing to do with politics. It is a deliberate drip, drip drip of negativity that is all to often used by those who wish to use the service for political purposes. That is not what the BBC should stand for and should be called out on when it is brazen, as it was in this case.

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

David Baddiel has integrity here obviously, but that it is his call whether or not Brand is allowed on the airwaves, I doubt. A better example to highlight this is Danny Baker who accidentally made a racist joke - of air, on his personal Twitter account - and was immediately sacked. Whereas here the BBC has defended Jo Brand joking about throwing acid on Nigel Farage. This is a double standard. Also it’s ludicrous that racist jokes are seen to be worse than acid attack jokes.

The BBC said the jokes made on Heresy are "deliberately provocative as the title implies".

It added they are "not intended to be taken seriously."

Where was the same defense of Danny Baker? Or indeed Carl Benjamin, and so on.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

No one serious thinks that Farage's comments about "don[ning] khaki" were anything other than a rhetorical device or that his description of his supporters as an "army" was a reference to some form of violent insurrection. The British government doesn't just let people openly incite militant rebellions.
    Those are your assumptions on what his intentions might have been, not the context of its words, as you implied to be crucial previously...
    Last edited by alhoon; June 19, 2019 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Continuity
    The Armenian Issue

Those are your assumptions on what his intentions might have been, not the context of its words, as you implied to be crucial previously...
    Nigel Farage is a 55 (53 at the time of the incident) year old man with no martial experience, history of violence or access to militant infrastructure/hardware. His 25+ years in British politics have been peaceful and he is known for making facetious/sarcastic comments. Even if taken literally, the remark he made about "don[ning] khaki" - which occurred during a lively speech and was both preceded and followed by laughter in the audience - would not imply an intended insurrection against the crown; militant rebels do not "don" the dress colours of the very government they aim to overthrow. Farage was never questioned by police - let alone arrested or convicted - in relation to this incident despite the fact that his comments were recorded in the public domain and the United Kingdom prohibits and firmly enforces laws against political violence. This all clearly points towards his comments being tongue-in-cheek rhetoric designed to indicate his own stoicism rather than, as you so ridiculously claimed, a "straight forward" incitement to violence.

Feel free to stop wasting my time at any point.
    Last edited by Cope; June 17, 2019 at 03:45 PM.

Nigel Farage is a 55 (53 at the time of the incident) year old man with no martial experience, history of violence or access to militant infrastructure/hardware. His 25+ years in British politics have been peaceful and he is known for making facetious/sarcastic comments. Even if taken literally, the remark he made about "don[ning] khaki" - which occurred during a lively speech and was both preceded and followed by laughter in the audience - would not imply an intended insurrection against the crown; militant rebels do not "don" the dress colours of the very government they aim to overthrow. Farage was never questioned by police - let alone arrested or convicted - in relation to this incident despite the fact that his comments were recorded in the public domain and the United Kingdom prohibits and firmly enforces laws against political violence. This all clearly points towards his comments being tongue-in-cheek rhetoric designed to indicate his own stoicism rather than, as you so ridiculously claimed, a "straight forward" incitement to violence.

Feel free to stop wasting my time at any point.
    None of what you said so far constitutes as relevant context. You have not been able to provide anything beyond your own personal assumptions. You're wasting your own time by sticking to your meritless position while providing a self-destructive stream of failed points.
    The Armenian Issue

None of what you said so far constitutes as relevant context. You have not been able to provide anything beyond your own personal assumptions. You're wasting your own time by sticking to your meritless position while providing a self-destructive stream of failed points.
    The only "meritless" position is your own: you demand that others disprove your baseless accusations and then simply dismiss the pertinent facts against your case when they're presented. At this point you aren't even debating, you're just vandalizing the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Settra View Post
    @Infidel "I will throw battery acid on politician x because y" - direct threat, should be prosecuted. "Why bother wit a milkeshake when you can get battery acid. I'm not gonna do it but a milkshake is just pathetic" - not direct threat. No prosecution.
    And?

She's a brilliant comedian I've been laughing at for a decade now. Penalizing her would be as unjust as count dankcula's joke about the nazi salute pug joke. I don't know what's going on in the UK with your ridiculous outrage politics leading to the complete fascistic retractions of basic personal rights but, I hope it stops soon. Seems like most of your legislators are humorless morons.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast