Thread: Do changes to mods apply correctly when loading older savefiles?

Default Do changes to mods apply correctly when loading older savefiles?

I have noticed at least some changes get applied, I'm however not sure all changes do.

If anyone with experience in the matter could enlighten me when changes would get applied correctly and when they would not I'd be eternally grateful

Civis

Default Re: Do changes to mods apply correctly when loading older savefiles?

I notice that, too. I resort to not changing the name of the table. Now, I’m running into the same problem even when I left the table name untouched (which is “data__”).

Let’s keep this thread alive...until we figure this out.

What change did you make with your mod? Which table? Did you add something to the original data__, remove some contents, replace, etc.?

P.S. Man, I’ve been working on retinue_slot_initial_units_table for awhile and now it doesn’t even want to recognize my work.

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

It is usually simple and similar for all TWs.

All DBs changes, all scripts are loading from packs each time you fire the game up.
    All changes to startpos are ignored unless starting a new game. This is very much true even for official CA changes. As soon as they are touching startpos, you should restart the campaign to see full effect of the changes and why they try to bunch such things with patch with content release....content, patch..all things bunched into one package.

This is due to the fact that startpos file is snapshot of the world/settings and is being updated each turn and basically is containing all the campaign changes,characters,factions....and if you look into savegame files, you will find exactly such modified startpos file..it is again snapshot of the game state in that particular moment. Game is then loading only savegame startpos, not the original one. Simply once campaign started, you are seeing evolution from original startpos.

So this is leading back to scripting and DB changes. If you make big enough changes even in those parts, the game might crash as there are discrepancies. Like if you change effects, that is super save, if you change stats....as soon as you are changing garrison, characters, name of factions...there might be issues pretty quickly.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Civis

In my case (retinue_slot_initial_units_tables which change the soldier you get at the start of the game and the troops you get with general), the game doesn't even want to load the modded version. It just stay unchanged (CA original). This is a fresh restart by the way.

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Because there is a lot redundancies. Just because something is in DB doesnīt mean it is not in startpos as well. I havenīt tried with to mod 3k in this case, but previous games stored units in garrisons/armies in startpos. This might very well be yet another example like regions/provincies where DB is not so important. Major stuff is in startpos. ;-) Especially armies. Startpos was storing info about units in particular army, number of men at the time...loses vs replenishment (where else do you think game is storing info about number of men in unit?)
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Civis

3K is different than other total war series. The starting unit number changes along with the number in db now. I don’t even know how to explain the complication I have with the game right now. Seriously. I removed some unit from a recruitment pool and you cannot recruit it anymore, but when you deploy a general...those guys show up in the initial units (that comes with the general). The unit limit per general is also off. #faceplam

Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Daruwind View Post
    Because there is a lot redundancies. Just because something is in DB doesnīt mean it is not in startpos as well. I havenīt tried with to mod 3k in this case, but previous games stored units in garrisons/armies in startpos. This might very well be yet another example like regions/provincies where DB is not so important. Major stuff is in startpos. ;-) Especially armies. Startpos was storing info about units in particular army, number of men at the time...loses vs replenishment (where else do you think game is storing info about number of men in unit?)
    You are right...Just checked startpos and it's all in there...every single nodes and army...the whole bang and bliss... FML.

It still doesn't explain why some unit I already removed from the faction still show up in the general roser, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Daruwind View Post
    It is usually simple and similar for all TWs.

All DBs changes, all scripts are loading from packs each time you fire the game up.
    All changes to startpos are ignored unless starting a new game. This is very much true even for official CA changes. As soon as they are touching startpos, you should restart the campaign to see full effect of the changes and why they try to bunch such things with patch with content release....content, patch..all things bunched into one package.

This is due to the fact that startpos file is snapshot of the world/settings and is being updated each turn and basically is containing all the campaign changes,characters,factions....and if you look into savegame files, you will find exactly such modified startpos file..it is again snapshot of the game state in that particular moment. Game is then loading only savegame startpos, not the original one. Simply once campaign started, you are seeing evolution from original startpos.

So this is leading back to scripting and DB changes. If you make big enough changes even in those parts, the game might crash as there are discrepancies. Like if you change effects, that is super save, if you change stats....as soon as you are changing garrison, characters, name of factions...there might be issues pretty quickly.
    Thanks for the information
    To srisiam: Can't help you out with anything right now, need to focus on exams, good luck though! I know Radious changed the garrisons, you could have a look at what they did if you need help?