Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trying to add a new strat-model to the mod - CTD when about to load?

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Trying to add a new strat-model to the mod - CTD when about to load?

Well, RTW battle models are basically M2TW strat models when you look at complexity (I sometimes joke about "Rome Total Clone War") if memory serves you might be able to copy them straight from RTW battle into M2TW strat.

The reason for multiple groups is the more advanced use of optional\randomized model parts and varied, shared textures which was first was used in M2TW version of the Total War series. With it comes a totally new set of coding to make that work properly.
    Strat models have only one group because they have no coding need for multiple groups (it simply won't function), not even weapons. So why spend an hour coding the same stuff all over if you can just merge all groups (after deleting duplicated groups on more advanced models) and do one coding?

From the look in the pic the leg isn't the only part that glitches, looks like it's rigged to the cloak bone I spoke of or another unsuitable bone. There is a standard position for weapons in Milkshape (M2TW use) which looks off when you use asymmetrical weapons, like the blade being horizontal and the edge pointing away from the model. For it to look proper the joint of the hand also has to be correctly positioned on the model.

Default Re: Trying to add a new strat-model to the mod - CTD when about to load?

The battle-model leg is definitely attached to a wrong bone!

good oocca_general.zip
    Attached is re-rigged version of Gig's version

As well as arms/hands it now has head assigned to head - and the skirt assigned to pelvis - this doesn't make a lot of difference except for making it look slightly less silly when it tries to go into 'ambush' stance in woods - texture is back to wanting ooc_main2.tga as in the text files. Please test it, but I think that's looking OK now

Mr_Nygren's Avatar Berserkir

Quote Originally Posted by makanyane View Post
    The battle-model leg is definitely attached to a wrong bone!

good oocca_general.zip
    Attached is re-rigged version of Gig's version

As well as arms/hands it now has head assigned to head - and the skirt assigned to pelvis - this doesn't make a lot of difference except for making it look slightly less silly when it tries to go into 'ambush' stance in woods - texture is back to wanting ooc_main2.tga as in the text files. Please test it, but I think that's looking OK now
    Thanks, the model is better now and has everything looking alright. But i kind of prefer the skirt as it were prior, i'm not sure what it looked like in ambush? But it's supposed to fly like it did previously. Fly might not be the right word, it's like a banshee spirit in the way it moves- now it walks more like a regular unit which is not as good as previously. But the arms, hands and head etc are much better now.

I'd say it looks finished now, and i've included a pic of a priest here- the arms etc are done. If the walking could be removed that would be great- as i kind of prefer when it doesn't walk and kind of moves like a banshee ghost. In any case thanks for your help, and Gigantus as well- the model is now looking great on the map.

I've been spending time today adding "Sages" as in "Priests" for the faction. I realized i won't be finished today because i've started to import all the traits for the heroes from 4.6, as well as am planning to add unused traits for other heroes such as Majora. This will take a couple of days before i'm done with it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Medieval II  Total War - Kingdoms Screenshot 2019.12.13 - 15.54.04.36.jpg  
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; December 13, 2019 at 09:30 AM.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again
    but betrayal with treachery.

- The Havamal

OK I'll stick the skirt back to Torso in a mo' - the ambush mode the whole thing ends up leaning at about 30degrees to the ground - it's a bit of a stretch of the imagination for that to look like flying, but...

OK I'll stick the skirt back to Torso in a mo' - the ambush mode the whole thing ends up leaning at about 30degrees to the ground - it's a bit of a stretch of the imagination for that to look like flying, but...
    Hm, i'll test it out and then keep the one that looks the best. But i think the word i was searching for was "levitate"- she is kind of levitating in the videos.

Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again

- The Havamal

oocca_general_torso.zip

There's two in the zip. They've both got the skirt assigned back to the torso. The one that says 'moreElbow' also has some vertexes further up the 'wrist' assigned to the elbow bones - I think that might be a little bit better on hand movements.

Blog Entries

Levitate - that would be pulling back up the skirt to between ground and knee and then attaching it to torso\hip instead of legs as Mak said. Guess that's what makes it look weird in ambush mode - the whole body will tilt instead of just the upper body. Maybe attach the skirt only to to upper leg instead of hip\torso? That bone moves (and will keep the skirt vertical in the ambush), but by far not so much as the lower leg.
    Always thought the princess\witch look weird the way they knock around their skirt.
    Last edited by Gigantus; December 13, 2019 at 11:35 AM.

oocca_general_torso.zip

There's two in the zip. They've both got the skirt assigned back to the torso. The one that says 'moreElbow' also has some vertexes further up the 'wrist' assigned to the elbow bones - I think that might be a little bit better on hand movements.
    It's hard to describe the problem, but i think the model is standing too "upright"- as in it should be more like on the oldest picture. But to be honest i don't know if the model Gig rigged may have been more normal? I mean, the first one were rigged on a different skeleton and i'm not sure if that's the cause. Currently it walks/levitate upright while previously it would kind of have it's upper body moving slightly forward and the "skirt" be kind of behind in the air. It's hard to explain exactly as english isn't my first language.

Maybe a picture might show the difference in posture. In the first picture she is kind of leaning forward with her body which is the same way of moving as in the videos.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

In the smaller more recent picture she is standing "upright" when moving which doesn't look as good.

I'm not sure if it's caused by the skeleton change or not?

Edit:

You might be tricked into believing she has legs, but she is pretty much a magical construct with just a dress. No legs or anything and moving through magic. That's why it is more correct for her to not walk upright and kind of moving in the air with the skirt kind of ending up behind the rest of the model. Like if it were levitating in the wind. Walking upright like an ordinary girl is therefore odd for the model in case it were "fixed"- as that was actually intended for it to not walk upright if that makes any sense.

Sorry for being a pain..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Medieval II  Total War - Kingdoms Screenshot 2019.12.13 - 20.21.56.65.jpg  
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; December 13, 2019 at 02:24 PM.

- The Havamal

Blog Entries

The skirt is pretty straight down so to get that 'flair' (billowing out to the back when moving) you are looking for a simple 'flaring' of the back portion should help with that. The default animation alone will not achieve that - That's what the tail bone was meant for, the flaring of a cape\skirt.

I've had a look at the models in Hyrule on different skeletons "strat_kokiri_with_army" etc and can't see anything with a tailbone (or anything else that would help)

I'll try tilting the body and playing with the skirt a bit - I'll also try attaching it to the cape bone, but I suspect that will just be odd!

I've had a look at the models in Hyrule on different skeletons "strat_kokiri_with_army" etc and can't see anything with a tailbone (or anything else that would help)

I'll try tilting the body and playing with the skirt a bit - I'll also try attaching it to the cape bone, but I suspect that will just be odd!
    I did check out the lich in Warcraft and it's using the default "strat_named_with_army" animation. So i'd guess it might be the model lacking said bone or something as Gig pointed out.

Thanks for helping out- i don't believe the animation needs to be unique. It's more likely connected to the model and vertices/rigging. Good luck Mak, if it fails i'll just go with the normal one.

- The Havamal

flared oocca_general.zip

I think this is about my last attempt... Have moved the skirt a bit - I've also assigned bits of it to the cloak bones - I'm not sure that actually makes much difference on the standard anim it looks suspiciously like they don't really move separately from the torso.

Anyway it doesn't billow but it's a bit floatier

Now definitely need to go play with gate/wall anims for IWTE!

flared oocca_general.zip

I think this is about my last attempt... Have moved the skirt a bit - I've also assigned bits of it to the cloak bones - I'm not sure that actually makes much difference on the standard anim it looks suspiciously like they don't really move separately from the torso.

Anyway it doesn't billow but it's a bit floatier

Now definitely need to go play with gate/wall anims for IWTE!
    Alright Mak, I've saved all your five strat-models just in case i can't decide which one is better. All your last three looked really good as for proportions and such. I'll pick the best looking one out of the bunch.

Thanks for the help and good luck with helping the other guy out. Do you play fantasy mods like Hyrule? The submod is not too far away from a final big release. I were kind of disappointed in MODDB for not including it amongst the big mod releases.

- The Havamal

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123