Thread: Hellenistic Swallowtail Arrowheads

Default Hellenistic Swallowtail Arrowheads

We find this particular type of cast bronze arrowhead all over Israel dating to the Hellenistic Period, such as from the Seleucid siege of Jerusalem 134-132 BCE:

When they have a shorter tang, it looks like maybe it was deliberately clipped off rather than cast that way. That bulb, not sure what to call it, where the tang meets the base of the blade is specific to this particular type as far as I know. I've seen arrowheads like this in a report from a cite near Alexandria, but I'm curious if any of you know if they're found in other parts of the Hellenistic world. I haven't made a concerted effort yet, but I haven't noticed them in reports from elsewhere, so I thought I'd ask. Maybe you guys have seen them in museums?
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

Default Re: Hellenistic Swallowtail Arrowheads

It is possible that somebody did see them and did not notice them as an object of a distinct school of craftsmanship.
    I'll keep an eye out for them from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by paleologos View Post
    It is possible that somebody did see them and did not notice them as an object of a distinct school of craftsmanship.
    Ah yeah, I suppose that is how that works.

I just stumbled upon a partial answer while trying to figure out the stamp that's on some of them:

It looks like a fused beta and epsilon.

Turns out this has been written about very recently:

That's only the stamped finds, so maybe the distribution of unstamped is broader. There are more unstamped than stamped finds in Israel.

One hypothesis the authors discuss is that these were used by a specific type of mercenary archers, possibly Cretans. They actually cite a guy I know pretty well, who I had no idea knew anything about arrowheads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

They appear to be completely far off from the three winged arrow heads used by the Persians and Egyptians. They look kind of primitive and rustic actually.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō