Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is anyone else feeling a bit jaded with Total War?

Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Is anyone else feeling a bit jaded with Total War?

Quote Originally Posted by JupiterMoneta View Post
    I actually enjoy this mechanic, since it provides an additional strategic layer to the game. I only disagree with units regenerating every 2 turns, taking the EXACT problem people had with Attila (regenerating armies) and making it even bigger.
    What do you find so great about this constraint ?

Every game is constrained by rules, that is the definition of a game. What differs with previous TW games that it was done through buildings in the past instead of through generals, but this way you can fine-tune the units to what you want out of it through their specific generals, and it also gives a much more involved feeling into each unit. Since the army-system got introduced in Rome 2 I would just build spear-stacks, or mass-build each unit that I needed for the situation, and disband them afterwards, giving me no feeling of involvement. The new system makes me think much more carefully about what I choose to build.

It could still use improvements, and a hybrid between the new system and Attila would be perfect IMO, but the 3K system feels refreshing, it works and i'm glad CA isn't afraid to try something different.

Miles

I've found ever since Rome 2 the games have been a let down. You are just facing the same armies again and again.
    Rome 2 - lacked tactics in army building, often saw entire armies of just light horse or archers. Easy to counter against.
    Attila - Thought it was fairly the same, though i didn't play it much.
    Britannia - every army/unit looked identical, each army consisted of the same types.
    K3 - Everyone, almost, can only build the same troops and they always tend to build the exact same units. This hasn't really advanced since Rome 2.

the battles are just so repetative it gets boring fast.

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

It’s not jaded, it’s just that most of us are getting burned out. I mean total war 3k was delayed, and I was bored watching streams. Didn’t like CA’s marketing campaign, but we got the game in the end.

What total war needs to do is to go to a new era. India and the Chola Empire. The amount of diversity of troops is unparalleled. Just check Age of Empires II campaign rise of Raja!

I feel more inspired to play the new HD AOE II now.

Shogun, Medieval, Rome, Medieval II, Rome II, Atilla and Thrones were pretty much all the same ...

This one though, is revolutionary! Finally meaningful diplomacy...Great job at mixing history with Warhammer into the Romance mode....Great map, great colors, Great Everything!

Three Kingdoms sets a new TW standard.

Quote Originally Posted by wustenfuchs View Post
    Shogun, Medieval, Rome, Medieval II, Rome II, Atilla and Thrones were pretty much all the same ...

This one though, is revolutionary! Finally meaningful diplomacy...Great job at mixing history with Warhammer into the Romance mode....Great map, great colors, Great Everything!

I agree with you, but TW3K battles are somewhat repetitive and boring due to a lack of unit variety. Nevertheless, it’s nice to see actual diplomacy being carried out and a more interactive campaign map as well as special faction bonuses that enables the player to play tall in a Total War game. You could probably even rename it to Total Economy: Three Kingdoms if you’re playing Kong Rong.

Razor's Avatar Licenced to insult

Quote Originally Posted by wustenfuchs View Post

I find that the Total War games are quite easy. After having played years of Paradox games, I find Total War not as deep and not as challenging as I used to. (used to get defeated as the Brutii on easy back in the day ). The battles aren't very hard at all even on harder difficulties and on the campaign there are no real challenges and/or things to do, although 3K did improve that quite a bit.

I think for many people here it's the same. There is no challenge or wow factor to Total War anymore, with many people being burned out after release of Rome II. That's ok, just go play other games then. There are still quite a lot of good strategy games out there.

Interestingliy, I got his message from the game yesterday, playing as Yellow Turbans

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1778569827

Senator

Makes me a bit sad. When I remember the first plays of MTW or RTW with Europa Barbarorum mod, that was great.

My opinion now is: there are only two TW games you need, a) R2TW with DeI mod and b) ETW with a good mod cause it plays quite differently than the rest.

I bought WH:TW out of curiosity (although I was/am not a fan of the franchise, did not buy the sequals), and ATW and ToB because I'm slightly interested in the periods, but it was/is not such a remarkably new or good experience. I'm just not at all interested in the Chinese/Three Kingdom history and could not lure myself into buying it till now. Battle mechanics (and failures in combat behavior) mostly seem to be the same, graphics are the same, campaign features may be better but alone cannot convince me, as I play TW for the unique campaign-battle-combo.

Maybe if there will come out some interesting DLCs with foreign mercenaries (Annam f.e.), with appealing visual differences to the Chinese units, I'll may buy Three Kingdoms, out of a feeling of romantic affection to TW. But I don't feel enthusiastic to play.
    Last edited by geala; June 27, 2019 at 04:25 AM.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

I think the R2TW-DeI has currently the best BAI of all the TW games. Keeps reserves, keeps cohesive line, don't make stupid moves. It's outstanding. Combined with the very well-developed units in the mod - this is the TW game to play the battles.

On the other hand - I haven't seen any mod that would un-stupidify the ETW gamepley, both CAI and BAI.

ATW is decent if you pick up the challenge (ie saving Rome from falling apart). Otherwise it lacks as sophistacted mod as DEI is for R2TW.
    ToB has been currently dumbed down enormously so that even interesting features (estates) don't make any difference. It's really dull.

Finally, I think that the M2TW engine is still superior to the new ones and playing TATW or SS or EBII is the best experience of the TW games you can get.
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Actually everytime I give this game a try the more I appreciate that there is a hidden gem lurking somewhere. Problem is I have a busy life, I'm struggling to get into the genre, and in the shortage of time, I don't understand the rules properly and can't get immersed. But seeing this game, I do see the potential for an absolutely brilliant Medieval 3 coming out of this new format. Thing is, if they did bring out a Med 3 it shouldn't be huge standing armies everywhere, it would need to be fuedal lords controlling small stacks, (that's where this new system might work) and if they got too big the king would need to step in.

Suffice to say, if CA don't follow this up with a new Medieval 3 (drop all that saga bollocks on old engines) then they've totally lost the plot and the wishes of 75% of their fans.

I know I'm going a bit off the board here, but if they did bring out a med 3 it shouldn't be set in a full map of Europe. It should be broken down into separate maps. So if you play as England only the English map should display, with full diplomatic options with other nations, and if you choose to invade another country, you have to build a specific invading force, ships, supplies, etc, depending on the location. So if you fall out with France, you can't just bulk build an army and send it over. It would require a fully prepared and specially designed army to launch an invasion, a bit like a crusading army in Medieval 2, but more in depth.

I know, I'm getting ahead of myself here a little
    Last edited by large jack; June 29, 2019 at 08:18 PM.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by large jack View Post
    Actually everytime I give this game a try the more I appreciate that there is a hidden gem lurking somewhere. Problem is I have a busy life, I'm struggling to get into the genre, and in the shortage of time, I don't understand the rules properly and can't get immersed. But seeing this game, I do see the potential for an absolutely brilliant Medieval 3 coming out of this new format. Thing is, if they did bring out a Med 3 it shouldn't be huge standing armies everywhere, it would need to be fuedal lords controlling small stacks, (that's where this new system might work) and if they got too big the king would need to step in.

Suffice to say, if CA don't follow this up with a new Medieval 3 (drop all that saga bollocks on old engines) then they've totally lost the plot and the wishes of 75% of their fans.

I know I'm going a bit off the board here, but if they did bring out a med 3 it shouldn't be set in a full map of Europe. It should be broken down into separate maps. So if you play as England only the English map should display, with full diplomatic options with other nations, and if you choose to invade another country, you have to build a specific invading force, ships, supplies, etc, depending on the location. So if you fall out with France, you can't just bulk build an army and send it over. It would require a fully prepared and specially designed army to launch an invasion, a bit like a crusading army in Medieval 2, but more in depth.

I know, I'm getting ahead of myself here a little
    Out of the million release day sales, 75% are from China so I dont think 75% of their fans wants another medieval. 😁

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

From what info we have...next big game is WH3 (2020), then there is second Saga game (2020/2021) so we are looking at 2022 for the next next major game at earliest. And while we will probably see Med3 once, I´m not sure it will be next history major title. Like there is long time from Empire/Napoleon so that would be also nice side step. Gunpowder once more...
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Daruwind View Post
    From what info we have...next big game is WH3 (2020), then there is second Saga game (2020/2021) so we are looking at 2022 for the next next major game at earliest. And while we will probably see Med3 once, I´m not sure it will be next history major title. Like there is long time from Empire/Napoleon so that would be also nice side step. Gunpowder once more...
    Well, the 3 Kingdoms heroes feature is pretty well done (and liked) probably it's not far fetched for CA to go to another period where heroes were featured prominently. Something like the mythical ancient Greece or the age of Troy for example. It could be a saga game is base on TW3K version of the engine.

Gunpowder era maybe nice to play once in while but rehashing ETW or even remaking Napoleon wouldnt interest me at all. There might be some hardcore Napoleonic era fans who might be intersting in this period but unless CA brings something totally new to this era, I wont think the majority of players will be interested.

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    Well, the 3 Kingdoms heroes feature is pretty well done (and liked) probably it's not far fetched for CA to go to another period where heroes were featured prominently. Something like the mythical ancient Greece or the age of Troy for example. It could be a saga game is base on TW3K version of the engine.

Gunpowder era maybe nice to play once in while but rehashing ETW or even remaking Napoleon wouldnt interest me at all. There might be some hardcore Napoleonic era fans who might be intersting in this period but unless CA brings something totally new to this era, I wont think the majority of players will be interested.
    It is hard to tell. Saga can be anything from 30years war/100 years war/war of roses to Genghis Khan. Which could be quite easily expansion to 3K as well...Honestly I would prefer Sea people and Bronze age collapse scenario as Saga game to mythical Ancient Greece,there seems to be better fantasy settings. No offence.

Anyway. I would point to:
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...-player-counts
    It is surprising but Empire actually sold a lot copies in time and checking steamDB for number of players online. It is also not order lower than R2/Med2...half of them but not down like some other TWs. So the Empire2/Victoria simply Exploration/Collonialism era might be viable settings.

Why? Let´s see what titles CA produced lately. To break away from classical scenarios Rome/Med....because they are largely similar..campaign map, warfare style )overly simplify statement,okey?), they tried fantasy WH, then new format for smallet TW with Saga game, then 3K..

So the big question stands, is it time for another Rome/Med round or is it not yet?

Antiquity is out of question, because the period has been completely exhausted with Rome II and its infinite DLCs. There is a chance that the next Saga game will feature Alexander and his adventures in Asia, but honestly a Medieval scenario sounds as a considerably stronger candidate. Meanwhile, the duel mechanic is one of the most negatively reviewed features, in a game otherwise received in a very positive manner. Duels are what I call a marketing feature (like the amphibious battles of Rome II), which may look spectacular in promotional trailers, but they end up being quite repetitive, bugged and easily exploitable (mainly thanks to the fact that the AI is usually incapable of rejecting any proposal for even the most unequal duel).
    Quote Originally Posted by Daruwind View Post
    You forgot to take Three Kingdom's "expansion" into account. By expansion, I mean a probably standalone title, whose theme would be very close to that of the "tent-pole" title, like the Warring States, for example, and similar to what Napoleon and Attila were for Empire and Rome II respectively. I doubt the expansion can be released earlier than 2021, which means that, estimating also the necessary time for all the DLCs, Warhammer and Saga, the next major historical game will presumably be published either in late 2022 or in 2023. Medieval II seems the likelier suspect. Knights equipped in shiny armour are extremely popular worldwide and the mechanics of Three Kingdoms can be more easily ported into a game centered around melee warfare and feudalism than into a hypothetical Empire II, based on gunpowder and immaculately dressed royal regiments. Not to mention the fact that Creative Assembly is obviously very unwilling to restore naval battles.

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Regardless of the next game, TW needs a new engine and fast. It's very obvious in TW 3 Kingdoms that despite it being a very solid game which I personally enjoy a lot, the core mechanics are still rooted in the "gunpowder" era engine and it's been showing since Attila.

Also - animations need a revamp.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos Leandros I View Post
    Regardless of the next game, TW needs a new engine and fast. It's very obvious in TW 3 Kingdoms that despite it being a very solid game which I personally enjoy a lot, the core mechanics are still rooted in the "gunpowder" era engine and it's been showing since Attila.

Also - animations need a revamp.
    I dont think we'll see a totally new engine anytime soon. TW3 engine while developed for gunpowder seems to be very flexible. What CA probably need to do is fully develop dx12 and probably throw in some RTX features or the upcoming AMD RDNA (whatever it is) tech in future games. Sad that TW3K did not go to DX12 route since the implementation for Warhammer games (for AMD cards mostly) was pretty good. I guess the TW3K devs came from Attila team rather than Warhammer though and the game of you forget about all the new features feels like an Attila mod. 😁

Quote Originally Posted by Abdülmecid I View Post
    Antiquity is out of question, because the period has been completely exhausted with Rome II and its infinite DLCs. There is a chance that the next Saga game will feature Alexander and his adventures in Asia, but honestly a Medieval scenario sounds as a considerably stronger candidate. Meanwhile, the duel mechanic is one of the most negatively reviewed features, in a game otherwise received in a very positive manner. Duels are what I call a marketing feature (like the amphibious battles of Rome II), which may look spectacular in promotional trailers, but they end up being quite repetitive, bugged and easily exploitable (mainly thanks to the fact that the AI is usually incapable of rejecting any proposal for even the most unequal duel).
    If CA wanted Alexander, they had prime chance for R2/Attila. Yes, it could be Saga but I´m slowly moving from that possibility. Still it is probably the last possible scenario from classical antiquity.
    -Alexander
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

-Wars of Diadochis

But what about ancient history? 5000 BC to 1000/500? BC. Now I´m not saying that those scenarios are easy to brainstorm due to lack of info but I can easily see at least two viable ones.
    -Bronze age collapse.

-Dawn of civilization.

Both scenarios would be nice Sagas as they have limited roster, limited faction count and probably focus on mechanics. This is exactly what Saga provides as ToB. Sea people are easy end game mechanics for Collapse. Dawn of civilization might be many things but it will ultimately allow greater focus on mysticism, religion, colonization and early city building.

You forgot to take Three Kingdom's "expansion" into account. By expansion, I mean a probably standalone title, whose theme would be very close to that of the "tent-pole" title, like the Warring States, for example, and similar to what Napoleon and Attila were for Empire and Rome II respectively. I doubt the expansion can be released earlier than 2021, which means that, estimating also the necessary time for all the DLCs, Warhammer and Saga, the next major historical game will presumably be published either in late 2022 or in 2023. Medieval II seems the likelier suspect. Knights equipped in shiny armour are extremely popular worldwide and the mechanics of Three Kingdoms can be more easily ported into a game centered around melee warfare and feudalism than into a hypothetical Empire II, based on gunpowder and immaculately dressed royal regiments. Not to mention the fact that Creative Assembly is obviously very unwilling to restore naval battles.
    I´m not forgetting, we merely heard nothing so far about any such expansion or following title for 3K. But you are very right, that we can probably expect such title. As Attila was following Rome 2, Genghis Khan might follow 3K?...I´m listing this particular scenario as it would allow us to get Europe-Asia campaign map and due to the facts that mongols were fighting everything around...Japan, Korea, China, India....Middle-east, European knights...name it, they fight it. :-) And many other scenarios might be possible. However so far we heard only about chapter packs:
    https://www.pcgamer.com/total-war-th...ols-announced/
    With Total War: Three Kingdoms' impending launch, Creative Assembly has revealed some of its post-launch plans, including a slightly new type of DLC pack and the new Assembly Kit.

"We’re taking a slightly different approach to DLC for TW3K," writes Creative Assembly's James High, "based both on the exciting opportunities the Romance of the Three Kingdoms source material offers us and the preference we know players have for larger DLCs which adds considerable new replay."

Chapter packs will explore different parts of Romance of the Three Kingdoms, with new start positions, events and heroes, as well as some returning characters from the main campaign. They'll sit somewhere between campaign and culture packs in terms of size, though you'll still be playing on the huge map of China and you can expect both new playable factions and mechanics
    So as I said. Without any following title, 2022 at earliest but 3K following title, all 3K/Wh3/Saga 2 games stuff.....2023 even second half of that year might be very realistic. :-)
    Last edited by Daruwind; July 01, 2019 at 01:22 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast