Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is anyone else feeling a bit jaded with Total War?

Default Re: Is anyone else feeling a bit jaded with Total War?

Although I was absolutely blown away during my first campaign in 3K, I am definitely jaded with it and became so much, much faster than with the Warhammer games.

I think part of the problem is all the factions play pretty much the same, in-battle especially. I know the unit roster was always going to be limited in this title but they don't fully utilise the units they have. Half of them are locked in the reform tree which the AI struggles to navigate meaning you face 90% Ji & archer militia. Additionally, there are no faction-specific effects that alter how one faction might work in battle compared to another with the same units and the differences between the units is so marginal. What's the difference between Sabre Infantry, Axe Band and Jian Swordguard? I couldn't tell you because even after one hard campaign and one legendary one, I haven't needed to know.

The only problem I have with the game is finding enough time to play it.
    "The trouble with facts is that there are so many of them." - Samuel McChord Crothers

Garensterz's Avatar Senator

Seeing an announcement of Napoleon 2 or Empire 2 or whatever Victorian Era would make me go back to playing Total War again. Napoleon with Napoleonic Total War mod is such an enjoyable game that Creative Assembly and Modders have offered to the Total War Series. Napoleon is simple, but the mechanics are more authentic and acceptable than TW3 engine games.

However, the biggest issue for me on Napoleon Total War is that damn connection problem in multiplayer due to playing against player on another continent. Napoleon is such a great game for multiplayer battles and I can't play it due to this problem. If Creative Assembly releases a Victorian Total War with a working multiplayer, then that will get my hype back.

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

I was actually looking at some videos on The Great War channel and a Victorian TW, just after Napoleon TW but before WW1, would be fantastic.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    The only problem I have with the game is finding enough time to play it.
    Indeed, my only problem with the game and why I haven't been able to finish my Sun Jian campaign is because I know if I play it I'll get sucked into it for hours, and I need to work

I can't build a hot dog stand in my city because there aren't enough building slots.

legate's Avatar Campidoctor

Very much so. While the battles are good I feel the campaigns lacks depth. Adding in logistics, supply lines, manpower and the ability to build forts to control strategic points would be great.

I don't play total war as much as I used to which keeps it fresh. Finished a couple of campaigns in RTW during the summer. Thrones gave me a nasty taste in the mouth

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Quote Originally Posted by legate View Post
    Very much so. While the battles are good I feel the campaigns lacks depth. Adding in logistics, supply lines, manpower and the ability to build forts to control strategic points would be great.
    Soo... ETW and NTW?
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos Leandros I View Post
    Soo... ETW and NTW?
    Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos Leandros I View Post
    Soo... ETW and NTW?
    That's really the biggest problem that Total War faces as a franchise, beyond the inherent tension between the choice of unchallenging AI on the one hand, and casualization on the other (and moddability, clearly): The 'one step forward, two steps back' approach to gameplay innovations. CA implements some features that half-works, semi-perfects them in a later installation, then utterly ditches them by focusing their efforts on some other new thing for a new release.
    Quote Originally Posted by A.J.P. Taylor
    Peaceful agreement and government by consent are possible only on the basis of ideas common to all parties; and these ideas must spring from habit and from history. Once reason is introduced, every man, every class, every nation becomes a law unto itself; and the only right which reason understands is the right of the stronger. Reason formulates universal principles and is therefore intolerant: there can be only one rational society, one rational nation, ultimately one rational man. Decisions between rival reasons can be made only by force.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L Spieghel
    Is het niet hogelijk te verwonderen, en een recht beklaaglijke zaak, Heren, dat alhoewel onze algemene Dietse taal een onvermengde, sierlijke en verstandelijke spraak is, die zich ook zo wijd als enige talen des werelds verspreidt, en die in haar bevang veel rijken, vorstendommen en landen bevat, welke dagelijks zeer veel kloeke en hooggeleerde verstanden uitleveren, dat ze nochtans zo zwakkelijk opgeholpen en zo weinig met geleerdheid verrijkt en versiert wordt, tot een jammerlijk hinder en nadeel des volks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miel Cools
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen,
    Oud ben maar nog niet verrot.
    Zoals oude bomen zingen,
    Voor Jan Lul of voor hun god.
    Ook een oude boom wil reizen,
    Bij een bries of bij een storm.
    Zelfs al zit zijn kruin vol luizen,
    Zelfs al zit zijn voet vol worm.
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen.

Cò am Fear am measg ant-sluaigh,
    A mhaireas buan gu bràth?
    Chan eil sinn uileadh ach air chuart,
    Mar dhìthein buaile fàs,
    Bheir siantannan na bliadhna sìos,
    'S nach tog a' ghrian an àird.

Quote Originally Posted by Jörg Friedrich
    When do I stop being a justified warrior? When I've killed a million bad civilians? When I've killed three million bad civilians? According to a warsimulation by the Pentagon in 1953 the entire area of Russia would've been reduced to ruins with 60 million casualties. All bad Russians. 60 million bad guys. By how many million ''bad'' casualties do I stop being a knight of justice? Isn't that the question those knights must ask themselves? If there's no-one left, and I remain as the only just one,

Then I'm God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Napoleon III, Des Idees Napoleoniennes
    Governments have been established to aid society to overcome the obstacles which impede its march. Their forms have been varied according to the problems they have been called to cure, and according to character of the people they have ruled over. Their task never has been, and never will be easy, because the two contrary elements, of which our existence and the nature of society is composed, demand the employment of different means. In view of our divine essence, we need only liberty and work; in view of our mortal nature, we need for our direction a guide and a support. A government is not then, as a distinguished economist has said, a necessary ulcer; it is rather the beneficent motive power of all social organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang Held
    I walked into those baracks [of Buchenwald concentrationcamp], in which there were people on the three-layered bunkbeds. But only their eyes were alive. Emaciated, skinny figures, nothing more but skin and bones. One thinks that they are dead, because they did not move. Only the eyes. I started to cry. And then one of the prisoners came, stood by me for a while, put a hand on my shoulder and said to me, something that I will never forget: ''Tränen sind denn nicht genug, mein Junge,
    Tränen sind denn nicht genug.''

Jajem ssoref is m'n korew
    E goochem mit e wenk, e nar mit e shtomp
    Wer niks is, hot kawsones

I've recently bought Three Kingdoms and only played it for a week. The game is good (I cannot deny) but I just can't get into it. I was the same with Warhammer, Britannia and Attila before that. Even though I still have a bit of fun with Rome 2 using DEI, do you think after 20 years, it's time to accept, I'm getting bored with it all? Anyone else feel the same?
    Hey Large Jack

Maybe it's not Total War quitting to enjoy us. Maybe we are getting, simply, old... Once upon a time, i remember thousands of hours playing the first Medieval Total War (and its graphics were in 2D): the most funny part of the game, in that case, was going on in my imagination, in my mind At the same way, i can't forget the long waiting for the first RTW, after seeing 2 or 3 wonderful screenshots. I bought all the titles, but i quit to play after Attila. Surely the choice of producing the Warhammer series disappoints me, but, honestly, i can't play neither ToB or 3K. Maybe it's the job, maybe it's for my wife, maybe it's for my beloved little son. Maybe life has just ing changed...
    Cheers

Nostalgia, different tastes and real life are certainly important factors, but the changes of the franchise are also responsible, in my opinion. It's probably not a coincidence that the great divide inside the fanbase was marked by Medieval II and Empire, until the arrival of the fantasy titles. Personally, the restrictions in moddability and the radical streamlining of the campaign map (removal of several interactive mechanics, like corruption or distance to capital, manual replenishment, the RPG-fication of the trait and family systems etc.) have made me lose interest in Total War. The only reason I still play Napoleon and Empire is my love for the magnificent wig-era and the amazing job Darth Vader has done fixing the game. Naval combat (actually removed in recent titles), improved diplomacy and line of sight are definitely welcome additions, but cannot negate the negative impression of all those removed campaign aspects.

Three Kingdoms is a good, optimised product, but I will quickly lose my interest, while I have already played several campaigns in Rome I, Medieval II and Darth-Empire. Of course, I'm not going to get angry at CA for not pandering to my desires, as they are a profit-seeking company, not a humanitarian institution, not to mention the fact that their gains seem to increase exponentially (although their claims are not a totally impartial source), but I simply doubt that I will ever get excited and hyped about an upcoming Total War product, in the future, even if its main marketing flagship is the French Bourbon fleet mercilessly sinking the British (whoops, secret kink revealed!).

I hope Creative make Medieval 3 Totalwar in the current engine, but wholesale use the mod work of the Stainless STeel coommunity and their research. I would be playing this today if the mod did not CTD so much. That said i am enjoying Rome II and Divide et Imper

TWC forums are very quiet. Is that due to the lack of interest here on certain games or a wider issue?

Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by legate View Post
    TWC forums are very quiet. Is that due to the lack of interest here on certain games or a wider issue?
    Imo its assortment of issues. Some related to TWC itself, others to the TW modding scene, the TW fan base, a shift in the way people use web platform (mostly away from traditional forums towards platforms like Reddit or Twitter), etc.

Hopefully the new DLC and the accompanying patch will bring a minimum of activity. Although I think nothing short of a brand new great TW title can bring life back to the forum.

It's not nostalgia.

They changed the gameplay mechanics to be boring and unreplayable for the past decade or so.
    Last edited by Faith; March 18, 2020 at 11:45 PM.

the engine that they are using(adopted singe empire total war) feels very clunky to me
    and the campaign lacks depth
    these are the main issues i have with it

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123