Thread: RTW2 Non general commanders

Icon7 RTW2 Non general commanders

I had long and very fond memories of RTW and several of my best generals rose from the ranks when they lead garrisons to defend against sudden attacks. I have no idea if that was a mod or not as I have been totally unable to reinstall RTW1.0.0 from the original discs and the BI update ruins all of my RTW 1.2 mods. I can install RTW1.5 Gold from a digital DL but never 1.2 despite a week of attempts using ever trick that know.

However that is not the point of this post. I have had RTW2 on my HDD since it went on sale and I just could not last past 30 turns s it did not really interest me. I could not put my finger on why until now.
    The reason is the total lack of ability to use vexillations of units NOT commanded by a general. While I like the concept of fixed legions the use of vexillations seconded from such plus those of garrisons and their commanders was the heart of Roman military flexibility and to ignore it totally undermines any credibility that RTW2 has to even attempting to approximate realism.

So, is there ANY mod out there that makes such units and their commanders) available for use in RTW2?

I am not optimistic but now that I am enduring forced home stay once again, I thought that would ask.

Jake Armitage's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: RTW2 Non general commanders

No there is not, most of the scripted functions are set to be character dependable and a character, speaking about armies, is a general (well, it's also a garrisoned captain to tell the truth, but there is nothing doable for him)

When I moved from M2TW (like Rome it hadn't this general limitation) I was deeply perplexed but after some time I grew more satisfied with this general system rather than a free system.
    Notice that number of armies are capped (you can mod them), wasn't so in previous games

Thank you. I thought as much. IMO this totally ruins RTW2 for me and I think that I will go back to RTW. I am not a modder other than the very occasional text editing. Rome rewarded merit and RTW2 does not even allow it to emerge.
    My brother just informed me that such a mod should be possible but he shied away from trying as he does not play TW games.

I also think that the Roman system in TW does restrict power deliberately to the patrician class. This is realistic 90% of the time. But every so often a non patrician would pop up (Marius, Pompey) on merit alone and these are "discriminated" against by the game. : ) Looks like RTW is on. Thankyou.

That steam mod should just add a unit having a general, not sure though.
    That patrician thing is not true, it's a mere consequence following vanilla's unbalancements.

I don't really think you can do anything unless depacking and modifying hardcoded scripts, regarding not having armies linked to generals.

I get what you're saying but, beleive me, I had the same feelings at start, then I realized Rome 2 system is actually better (and really more moddable) and moved form M2TW to ROME2.
    I have no interest at all into sponsoring my mods (I just care about getting/giving fun) but if you're the old gamer type (more strategy and less arcade) try DeI + Testudo (into DeI submod section) and check PIGS (political overhaul) and RPGu (RPG bodyguards) threads as well which are already included into Testudo.
    Give Rome 2 (deeply modded) a possibility and you won't regret it.

DeI: https://www.twcenter.net/forums/foru...t-Impera-(DeI)
    Testudo (DeI submod): https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...-upd-apr-13-19
    PIGS (already inside Testudo): https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...-upd-jun-09-19
    RPGu (already inside Testudo): https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...-upl-apr-08-19
    Last edited by Jake Armitage; June 12, 2019 at 08:43 AM.

Thank You and Okay: I shall give it a whirl (surely that dates me : )) using those but IIRC they massively conflict with the 2/4 moves per annum mods. But having read the tutorial on how to do that yourself, I might make my own attempt and superimpose it.

waht's 2/4 moves per annum mods?

Dresden's has such but it failed to work with a CTD. SO I grabbed one from Steam and it actually works. The mod allow a move per season and adds the seasons. Traditionally campaigning ceased in winter and all units returned to barracks. In spring they restarted and continued even into mid autumn. It wasn't the cold but the lack of forage that decided this and there were exceptions. Naturally it can be abused WRT technology/buildings so some common sense is required in its use. I am yet to determine if the mod author as placed such changes in it automatically.

mmhh, I don't understand.
    Are you saying this mod is highly affecting movement range depending on season?
    What's the steam link?

I am still looking at its function in game and I am not yet certain about it but its address is: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil.../?id=358701878

The author says that it is not up to date but I have managed to load a campaign start with it but have not yet had time to explore the game as is now due to RL.
    I should just cycle some20+ turns to gain a clue and I will that when I can.

that's a simple 4tpy mod, DeI is already set for 4tpy, put that steam mod into your bin