Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Portrait Enhancement Project

Icon11 Portrait Enhancement Project

EBII has one of the best trait system, however, I never liked the EBII portraits that much. Therefore, this submod changes and/or adds new portraits for Carthage (complete replacement), Rome (replaced a lot of them and added new ones), Western Greeks (added new ones) and the Iberian factions (added new ones).

+250 New Portraits for Carthage (counting young and old portraits)
    +200 New Portraits for Rome (counting young and old portraits)
    +400 New Portraits for Hellenic factions (counting young and old portraits)
    +300 New Portraits for the Iberian and Barbarian factions (counting young and old portraits)

I didn't count the exact number of new portraits, therefore this is just as approximation of the number which is probably bigger.

This changes the General portraits. Most of the portraits, around 80%, come from the When Worlds Collide submod by Leoni for Roma Surrectum III, I also did some portraits based on images found online from reenactments and historical drawings plus 3 images from antiochos_hierax. Thanks also to Gioal Canestrelli for letting me use some photos taken of him and his friends.

Of course, to assemble all this together, it required a huge amount of hours to check all the portraits, one by one, from Leoni (a lot of them didn't fit the period or the faction), then for Rome, for example, I checked the existing portraits and replaced the "uglier" ones until I run out of new Roman portraits. I also had to convert the images found online, rename them, etc. You get the picture. This means that you may find some errors or photos that are not suppose to be there, if you do, please tell me.

Have fun trying and I challenge you to post your new favorite portrait pics

Make a backup file of your user interface files (in data) and extract the file to EBII data. Click yes to replace the existing file and go start a new campaign with one of those factions. You will see the changes. Carthage has had a full change, for the other factions it is a mix between older images and new.

Updated New Version with two parts to download:

Thanks to all who contributed to this submod, especially JFOliveras, Dresden who gave permission to use some of DEI images for portraits, Alejandro Magno, huge thanks to Thg170, Leoni, Mike Golf and all the other artists.
    Last edited by Lusitanio; April 15, 2021 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Updated content

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Default Re: Portrait Enhancement Project

Hi Lusi, can you put a few screenshots with a number of the portraits? I think it might be interesting for everybody and helps to decide if he wants to use them, or not?
    JoC

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

I'd rep you again, Lusitanio, but I did so too recently for the other thread explaining this.

I'm downloading it right away. I'm sure it blows my own portraits submod out of the water! It took me a long time to assemble that one, so I can only imagine how much hard work went into this. I am concerned about the total number of portraits showing up, though. I vaguely remember certain cultures, Western Greeks maybe, having some weird hard-coded limit or something, so that it didn't matter how many portraits you added, it would only show or accept like 80 to 85 of them or something. Keep that in mind and maybe check on that! You might have found a way around that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Hi Lusi, can you put a few screenshots with a number of the portraits? I think it might be interesting for everybody and helps to decide if he wants to use them, or not?
    JoC
    @Roma_Victrix could you do that like you did in your submod? I don't really know how to put the images and place them in this thread like in your submod. I would be most thankful to you!

Western Greeks maybe, having some weird hard-coded limit or something, so that it didn't matter how many portraits you added, it would only show or accept like 80 to 85 of them or something. Keep that in mind and maybe check on that! You might have found a way around that.
    Never heard of that and since it is a mix of old and new portraits for Greek factions I still haven't noticed anything. But I will keep it in mind!

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitanio View Post
    @Roma_Victrix could you do that like you did in your submod? I don't really know how to put the images and place them in this thread like in your submod. I would be most thankful to you!
    Oh, that? Uh, I just basically cut, pasted, and stacked my pictures together in one big picture using Paint. It's tedious but simple stuff. Then I just uploaded the images to Imgur and shared them here the regular way you show or insert pictures by using the "IMG" tag or going to advanced options when posting.

I might do it for you, but shelve that idea for now, you've got a MUCH bigger problem. The same problem I had, dude. More on that below and how to address it:

Never heard of that and since it is a mix of old and new portraits for Greek factions I still haven't noticed anything. But I will keep it in mind!
    I see exactly what's going on as soon as I downloaded your mod. For some reason, the game basically ignores the vast majority of your pictures and only uses pictures 1 through 84, the exact number it starts with. You didn't replace those originals and after booting up the game it appears only about 3 out of my 92 Epeirote Greek generals have the new portraits (hehe, one of them looks like Brad Pitt from Troy). I bypassed this problem in my own submod by replacing all the original Western Greek ones with new ones, replacing the files 1 through 84. I'd suggest doing the same here.

It's really strange, too, if you go to the "data/ ui / Cul_1 / portraits / portraits / young / generals" folder, it only lists those original 84 files. It used a tiny handful of your new Western Greek portraits somehow, so I dumped your submod onto my desktop to check things out. It appears that you earnestly have up to 275 portraits for Cul_1, the Western Greeks! This is the exact same problem I had, where the additional ones past #84 just magically disappear when you try to place them in the intended EBII folder, but somehow a few of them got used, even though you can't see them or open them in the folder.

Carthage works somehow, though! I've seen nothing but new portraits, so there's that. Thankfully something worked as intended, maybe! I think the game might be screwing with you here again, though, and perhaps only using a small and select amount of portraits no matter what, and it seems like. Please consult with the EBII team about this, because the problem goes way over my head. Somehow the EBII team was able to skirt around this problem, considering the amount of portraits they have, I think by using the subfolders within cultures. For instance, the Carthage one works way better because it has its own subfolder "rel_g_generals" within the "young" folder of the main "Cul_7" folder.

With that in mind, consider making a new subfolder for the Western Greeks!

EDIT: Also, did you realize you have some duplicates? For instance, for the Western Greeks, "Cul_1", you have a light-haired bearded dude for image 89 and the same exact image repeated for image number 265.

2ND EDIT: Uh...bro...you sure you did the Romans at all? I went through a large number of the some 300 portraits in your submod and they all look like the old RTW portraits.

3RD EDIT: also, an obligatory mention of how most of the portraits are very high quality indeed. I fiddled around with a few of them, though, and replaced a few that I didn't much care for, but the vast majority are awesome. Well done!

4th EDIT: I noticed something, at least for the Western Greeks, that the portraits of the old don't match up, which is fine, but the dead portraits don't match at all with either young or old. Was this deliberate or a mistake?

Wait...I just had an idea. Perhaps it was only showing a few new Western Greek portraits because you left most of the old ones from images "000" to "084" alone, and tacked the vast majority of the new ones onto the end after that 84th or 85th original RTW image? Strangely enough, my generals folders for Cul_1 are now finally showing the whole 275 image files that came with your submod (although by now I've tweaked and replaced several of them). Can you do a lot of testing on this? I'll continue on my end. I want to make sure everything's working smoothly.

When I started my campaigns, I saw both old and new portraits in Rome and Greek factions. I'm not sure what happened to you. But you're saying that they are appearing now? Because one solution could be to replace the original 84 portraits from the cul_1 with new ones and distribute the rest to cul_3 which is the other Greek culture.

Also, did you realize you have some duplicates? For instance, for the Western Greeks, "Cul_1", you have a light-haired bearded dude for image 89 and the same exact image repeated for image number 265.
    I added hundreds of portraits, that may happen because I forgot I had already added that portrait. Thanks. I will correct it.

Uh...bro...you sure you did the Romans at all? I went through a large number of the some 300 portraits in your submod and they all look like the old RTW portraits.
    For the Romans, I replaced the portraits based on if they were ugly or not xD But I added around 150 young portraits soo you should find the portraits. Still since they have almost 400 portraits, you probably just had bad luck.

one of them looks like Brad Pitt from Troy
    That was a portrait that I was in doubt wether to add or not but then went for meh, why not?

I noticed something, at least for the Western Greeks, that the portraits of the old don't match up, which is fine, but the dead portraits don't match at all with either young or old. Was this deliberate or a mistake?
    Yeah, I tried to put similar older portraits with the younger ones but some of them may not be that similar, especially for someone like you who notices the details with especial attention
    The dead are another issue. Let me explain. I was used with Carthage having the same dead portrait for all the dead FM, so I just didn't noticed that factions with only one portrait section had them different. When I realized it, I had already changed the numbers of the new portraits and it would take hours to find the portraits and add the corrresponding dead portrait. Besides that, a lot of the new pictures don't have dead portraits so I just randomly added dead portraits.

I might do it for you, but shelve that idea for now
    I don't want to bother you with such a tedious work but if you could just post some pics of the portraits in game I would appreciate

Nice mod! I also was not a big fan of the Portraits. Not that they were "bad" They just lacked armor, and helmets. This makes the character more personal.

Quote Originally Posted by moisesjns View Post
    Nice mod! This makes the character more personal.
    Thanks! And indeed! Normally you would base your FM only on his traits, but now his image will also influence your decisions. Why leave a FM with an awesome image in a settlement when he can be conquering the world? Plus you will be much more attached to them.

I think I know what's going on with my own campaign. If you have already started a campaign, I think the game is really only set to utilize the first 85 original pictures and not really anything added later. I think you have to start a new campaign for that, so what I've done is just replaced all the original vanilla RTW portraits from images 000 to 084 with portrait pictures from your mod. I'm pretty much satisfied now.

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    I think I know what's going on with my own campaign. If you have already started a campaign, I think the game is really only set to utilize the first 85 original pictures and not really anything added later. I think you have to start a new campaign for that, so what I've done is just replaced all the original vanilla RTW portraits from images 000 to 084 with portrait pictures from your mod. I'm pretty much satisfied now.
    Well, I'm happy to know you found a work around to solve that issue for you. Have fun

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    JoC
    Here they are:

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitanio View Post
    Here they are:
    thanks Lusitanio!
    from what I see, I've got mixed feelings. I like some some of them (Ameinias Ithometes) but many of the portraits are much detailed and "photogenic" (this group of 5 Carthaginians...) - in a spirit kinda different from the EBII style that is more simple.

Well, Carthage alone has more than 100 portraits, this is just a small sample. But there are indeed many photogenic portraits.

Hello,

I have find the site of a group of gallic reenactment : https://www.les-ambiani.com/

I don't know if you can use it on your mod, but they have some nice portrait in their "photo" section.

Thanks Torf! I won't work on more celtic portraits for the now but if I ever do, they will be one of the places from where I will get photos. Of course, if they give permission. +1 rep from me

Do the images need to be in TGA to be shown in game? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by antiochos_hierax View Post
    Do the images need to be in TGA to be shown in game? Thanks
    Of course. That's a requirement.

I also changed many of the eventspics for Carthage. This are the images that appear in the user interface when you, for example, besiege a city, are attacked or attack, ambush an army, etc. They are for my personal use but if someone is interested I can send him a link with a preview of the images and if he/she likes it, a link to download it.

New update on this project. I replaced around 15 portraits for Carthage, mostly because they did not fit well in the game either due to the type of images or because it didn't fit the period in question. Also added new portraits for the Iberians, Numidians and Greeks while removing some of the older ones. In total, there are around 70 new portraits. There is also a event pics file option if you would like to play with different images in the game for certain events like battles. If you do not wish to do that, do not extract that file. It is only for cul_7.

There are around 4 different styles for the portraits which may be weird at the beginning but you will get used to it.

See some of the new portraits:
    Link to download: https://www.twcenter.net/forums/down...o=file&id=4465

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast