View Poll Results: Which version do you mostly play with?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mostly Romance.

11 22.92%
  • Mostly Records.

29 60.42%
  • Bit of both.

4 8.33%
  • Not Sure/Don't Know.

4 8.33%
  • Don't Care.

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Romance vs. Records

Default Romance vs. Records

Which version have you been mostly playing with? Why? Let's see what people prefer.
    Last edited by PointOfViewGun; June 10, 2019 at 03:11 AM.
    The Armenian Issue

Seether's Avatar RoTK Workhorse

Default Re: Romance vs. Records

Don’t play Total War for fantasy, so I stick with Records mode. Although, to be fair, both modes are pretty much the exact same thing.
    Member of the Imperial House of Hader - Under the Benevolent Patronage of y2day
    A Wolf Among Sheep: A Rise of Three Kingdoms AAR

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

110% Records and looking forward to historical mods.

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    Moderator Emeritus

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

I don't like invincible heroes skewing the tactics of battle away from superior troops and better manoeuvering. Hence I play Records mode only.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

do we know the full lsit of difference between the modes. other than the generals and fatigue i'm not clear what else is different. also how does the generals character development affect the records mode in the battle map

Still on my first campaign as Romance, I'll try Records next go around.
    Gaming PC: I7-9700K@4.9GHz/Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero/EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC ULTRA/Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)/Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q/Corsair RM750i/LG 32GK850G 31.5"/BenQ G2400W 24"/Sound Blaster ZX/Samsung 850 Pro x2/950 Pro/970 EVO/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR5 - TrackClip Pro/

For me, records mode is Total War, and Romance mode is a fun attraction for newcomers to experience Total War for the first time.
    With Total war since original Shogun, made my life better!
    My videos about Total War on YouTube :
    https://www.youtube.com/user/perafilozof

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Both, because to fully understand what I like or prefer I need the first hand experience.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

I have only played Romance so far. I have been enjoying it. Killing or capturing the generals is more important than ever. Also, the generals get involved so much more which i like. The duels are pretty pointless because it tells u who will win so why accept unless u will win. They should not provide that info ahead of acceptance.

I understand the reluctance due to a break from realism but the extra importance of the generals is a surprisingly fun aspect.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

La♔De♔Da♔Brigadier Graham's Avatar Artifex♔Duffer♔Civitate
    Patrician Citizen

The Den,with a massive pair of binoculars, surveying TWC, ensuring members are laughing & happy!

At the moment its a bit of both for me, to see which I prefer, although I not one for magical powers and fairy dust animations, I am finding romance fun, however I will be playing my next campaign in records mode.
    and all that.

"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained Dufferism"

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Romance at this moment (only in my second campaign). I may try to play Records at one point but as this moment I feel Records is strip down version of the game. Just a late add on afterthough to please the purist historical TW players.

I probably will play them for factions that I have completed in Romance just to see if there's any different. I dont think it will differs much though since I view myself as campaign TW player most rather than battle TW player. I auto resolve most of the battles except earlier turns.

Nizam's Avatar Ordinarius

Ofc Romance. Because I watched first San Guo before release

Ottoman Total Overhaul received the 2nd favorite Overhaul/Compilation Mod - 2016 award!
    by_TotalWarTurkiye

Records, but it feels like an afterthought. You cant even get information if enemy or your general has fallen in battle. In Romance mode they give you this information just like in the every other TW game

I never thought that I would like something like the romance setting, but I am finding it pretty fun, and like the new strategies it offers. However I am very glad that CA had the wisdom to keep a traditional TW records mode. Over time I will probably play record mode the most, but for now romance mode is an interesting alternative.

I prefer Romance for getting invested more in each individual character. It works especially well if you watch the 2010 Sanguo show, since you get to see your favorite characters in action and immerse yourself in the story.

I haven't played Romance yet because i'm scared it will just feel like a crappier version warhammer with the single entities.

So far i've found the battles in Records the best (vanilla) battles TW has produced in a long while. Units feel balanced. They rout but don't instantly shatter (the reason i completely abandoned playing ATILLA). I hope CA will invest in Records mode a bit further and polish and refine it some more. Some of the abilities carried over from Romance feel totally broken in Records (MaTeng's fatigue immune Cav, for example). Those kinds of abilities should be tuned down for Records imo (resistance instead of immunity would be fine).

Looking forward to seeing what mods will provide to each mode.

It's interesting to see such a divide between the statistics on the Total War subreddit and the numbers here. I recall that a poll asking the same thing in the subreddit went to Romance with the overwhelming majority, whereas here most players prefer to play Records. This may be because Romance is closer to Warhammer, but that might just be pure conjecture.

I only play records, but do watch a few streamers who I've only seen playing romance, never records.
    Mostly because I bought this game to play Total War.
    I'm only missing shogun I and medieval I in my library.
    Not too much of a fan of single entitities that take over the fight, and especially if you can (like legend of total war) just run your generals/hero's into the town square to cap regardless of how many troops are there(not sure if this has been fixed, or is intentional, not my cup of tea anyway.

Romance had to happen though and it's great they didn't go all the way one way.

I'm not yet allowed to vote for this poll, but for me it is Romance all the way. It is clearly the way the game is supposed to be played and adds so much more to the standard TW formula

Records all the way. It's the closest to the TW game format I like to play.
    "The trouble with facts is that there are so many of them." - Samuel McChord Crothers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast