View Poll Results: Which version do you mostly play with?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mostly Romance.

11 22.92%
  • Mostly Records.

29 60.42%
  • Bit of both.

4 8.33%
  • Not Sure/Don't Know.

4 8.33%
  • Don't Care.

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Romance vs. Records

RedGuard's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Romance vs. Records

im honestly surprised how many people play records. To me it seems like your shelving a quarter of the game when you play that mode, and in my experience makes it impossible to kill enemy generals worthy of any note.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGuard View Post
    im honestly surprised how many people play records. To me it seems like your shelving a quarter of the game when you play that mode, and in my experience makes it impossible to kill enemy generals worthy of any note.
    A quarter? Can you list all the things that are different between the two modes?
    The Armenian Issue

Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    A quarter? Can you list all the things that are different between the two modes?
    the wicked banter between two generals just before the showdown as they fight mano-a-mano

not really a quarter, but to me its the highlight in this game along with the personalized diplomacy that makes it stand out from the total wars. If you don't play in Romance it seems like the other warscape engine TWs.

also it may be cheap to have a warrior that can take on 100 guys at once, but you could say the same about the 100 unit horseman general unit aka the get out of jail free card when you don't bring cavalry

the wicked banter between two generals just before the showdown as they fight mano-a-mano

not really a quarter, but to me its the highlight in this game along with the personalized diplomacy that makes it stand out from the total wars. If you don't play in Romance it seems like the other warscape engine TWs.

also it may be cheap to have a warrior that can take on 100 guys at once, but you could say the same about the 100 unit horseman general unit aka the get out of jail free card when you don't bring cavalry
    The banter happens in the Records mode too. They even duel. It just doesn't occur within a magical sphere. The cavalry that you general has often countered by the generals of the army you oppose. You still need cavalry.
    The Armenian Issue

Yeah, banter is optional, regardless of what mode you choose. Thank god it is, as I absolutely hate it. The acting is very poor and the cheesy dialogue takes itself way too seriously to actually be funny, like the generals gloating in Rome I and Medieval II.

Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    The banter happens in the Records mode too. They even duel. It just doesn't occur within a magical sphere. The cavalry that you general has often countered by the generals of the army you oppose. You still need cavalry.
    I honestly did not know they duel, I will have to give records mode a try again I guess. I thought it was basically like a cavalry general that was just like any other unit. Then again I was playing as Yuan Shao and wasn't using him to fight other generals.

Yeah, banter is optional, regardless of what mode you choose. Thank god it is, as I absolutely hate it. The acting is very poor and the cheesy dialogue takes itself way too seriously to actually be funny, like the generals gloating in Rome I and Medieval II.
    to each his own. To me I like it because it reminds me of the cheesy simple dialogue from Princess Bride

I honestly did not know they duel, I will have to give records mode a try again I guess. I thought it was basically like a cavalry general that was just like any other unit. Then again I was playing as Yuan Shao and wasn't using him to fight other generals.
    to each his own. To me I like it because it reminds me of the cheesy simple dialogue from Princess Bride
    When two general units meet in battle in the Records mode the actual generals still try to make their way towards each other and fight. I noticed this when I accidentally stumbled upon stats of them dueling. The game records who wins and who loses but it doesn't always end with one general dying. It seems that when one side runs away its counted as losing the duel. So, in those stats you often have the same generals losing or winning multiple times against each other. These stats perhaps affect in-game traits for those generals.
    The Armenian Issue

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12