Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Commie terrorists BTFO. Bakery awarded $11 million after being targeted by student activist protests

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Default Re: Commie terrorists BTFO. Bakery awarded $11 million after being targeted by student activist protests

Are you now claiming that one needs diversity/feminism studies in high school to study STEM after?
    I would think a STEM only university or high school wold be kind of boring and mind numbing. You know my daughter wants to shoot for Geo-physics, but she likes art and culture sociology and psychology too. Also one of the coolest girl friends I had in undergrad was in women's studies so I ain't going to dis them. No place like a feminists studies course to find a young determined women who are confident and don't want to be tied down by a relationship - good luck for that in programming (cobalt FORTRAN or C)in the 80s - that is just finding a women.
    Last edited by conon394; June 15, 2019 at 05:58 PM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Default Re: Commie terrorists BTFO. Bakery awarded $11 million after being targeted by student activist protests

Post #97 gives you the details of what happened, which is not just ''one group harassed a bakery''. It's a lot worse than that and it's why there was an additional punitive damage of $33 million. First, 3 African American students committed a crime. Then a second crime. Then activists from the university started the slander campaign. Then the university administration and studeny body joined forces specifically to put the bakery out of business.

All in all, my title is correct. This was outright terrorism to silence people who simply denounced a crime committed against them. A perverse campaign by people who should be stripped of their citizenship and booted from society. I actually don't really care about their money. These people are just evil and a threat to social peace.

Also, since you decided to strawman my argument, can you please tell me why, according to your logic, would I want to sue universities that do nothing wrong?

Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

The additional damages exceed the legal limit they will be overturned. On appeal even 11 will be scrutinized. That is just how the us system works. But again you failed to answer the question of extremist private universities would be equally ecstatic about a finding against Oral Roberts? Or is well left Liberal universities you dislike?

I dunno I would have sued BYU for expelling my friend were I her parent for having sex as a legal adult.

Your OP anyway advocates suing universities to put them out of business. Troglodyte thinking or the thinking of somebody who is afraid to have their views challenged. You posted it why question me.

All in all, my title is correct. This was outright terrorism to silence people who simply denounced a crime committed against them. A perverse campaign by people who should be stripped of their citizenship and booted from society. I actually don't really care about their money. These people are just evil and a threat to social peace.
    A protest that involved no injury and did no property damage is not terrorism. Its a protest and in this case affairs were settled in the courts quite legally and we shall see how they play out on appeal. It will be interesting the Jury by exceeding the additional damages limit may well tank the whole case. I would be interested to to find more back story on the community college relationship. The jury must have been instructed as to what they legally impose to go beyond that is a sign there is larger issue at play. Compare Ann Arbor a liberal city and a liberal university where juries (or judges) used routinely fail even bring a verdict in pot cases against students (jury nullification with a jury).

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Good luck defending that in court. Actually, I'm sure the lawyers of that trashy liberal university tried it and see how that ended.

Anyway, I highly endorse putting out of business ''universities'' that work as a training facility for activists whose goal is to destroy ''capitalism'', and then result behaviour like the one that's topic of the thread. They are sworn enemies of society, and they declared war first. There's no reason not to fight it to their complete annihilation.

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    I would think a STEM only university or high school would is you kind of boring and mind numbing. You know my daughter want shoot for Geo-physics, but see like art and culture sociology and psychology too. Also one of the coolest girl friend I had in undergrad was in women's studies so I ain't going to dis them. No place like a feminists studies course to find a young determined women who confident and don't want to be tied down by a relationship - good luck for that in programming (cobalt FORTRAN or C)in the 80s
    So basically your argument comes down to that STEM courses are "boring" and that we wouldn't have computers without feminism. I mean it explains why there are people believe in things like white privilege and flat earth, but doesn't really disprove my point from above.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    So basically your argument comes down to that STEM courses are "boring" and that we wouldn't have computers without feminism. I mean it explains why there are people believe in things like white privilege and flat earth, but doesn't really disprove my point from above.
    No my argument is that a well rounded education is better than a completely direct one at any time before graduate school. All the Humanities hate is bizarre. Wow guess we don't need drama or any field that is changeling the norms because you know we are right. I mean its not like STEM graduates don't have a bad track record to account for Tuskegee, Handford no SJW involved in those f-ups we are still paying for. Maybe a few SJW would have stopped the the US from staining its honer by interning japanese Americans during WW2, or maybe might have pointed out the risk of Japanese American sapotage on Hawaii was nil and US planes would have been dispersed.

But also just there are lots of extreme private universities in the US of all sorts. That one in the view of a jury supported a unfounded protest seems like the system working I would happy to see the same happen to the University of Chicago school of economics but not likely.

Anyway thanks for not quoting that HH I'll rep you I really should not try a post from the phone it always goes sideways.
    Last edited by conon394; June 15, 2019 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Basil II the B.S View Post
    Good luck defending that in court. Actually, I'm sure the lawyers of that trashy liberal university tried it and see how that ended.
    Which that?

Anyway, I highly endorse putting out of business ''universities'' that work as a training facility for activists whose goal is to destroy ''capitalism'', and then result behaviour like the one that's topic of the thread. They are sworn enemies of society, and they declared war first. There's no reason not to fight it to their complete annihilation.
    What you are just putting rant mode at 11. SO you don't want any formal academic challenge to your views is that it?

Are you now claiming that one needs diversity/feminism studies in high school to study STEM after?
    I'm saying the only thing you seem to have an appreciation for is STEM. You seem to want to trash everything else. Let's then draw that to the logical conclusion that isn't even diversity/feminism studies nor STEM. You don't even want a Department of Education in Universities so that teachers can get education and training in their future careers and actually be well grounded in what they wish to do out the gate. STEM isn't teaching. Diversity/feminism isn't teaching. But teaching is hard. Your own teachers seem to have come up a step or two short since you can't seem to process the idea that there is more than two Departments at a University. Hell, STEM is a lot more than one Department, but you seem to want it to be one absolutely ginormous magic pill that it will never be. The things that would fall under STEM would absolutely shock your naivety. And when you want to trash all but STEM, you want to trash quite a bit. More than just the Departments that you want to talk about. And more relevant to the world that you think.

Let me put it more bluntly. The world is not what you wish. Nor will it ever be. Sometimes you need to just educate yourself about a field before you realize there's a little more to it than the stereotypes you so strongly dislike and even big business puts it to good use to make capitalistic gain off of it, embarrassing the living out of people like you.
    Last edited by Gaidin; June 15, 2019 at 06:25 PM.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

It's not correct though. It's actually pretty far from being correct. You've failed constantly and consistently to show that the protesters were Communists. Which would be fine if it weren't for the fact the 'Communism' is the first line of the title. I've even tried to help you out by leaving some useful links that explain what Communism ACTUALLY is, all to no avail as you continue to define it as "people I don't like".

In all honesty, I think pigeons learn quicker than you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    I'm saying the only thing you seem to have an appreciation for is STEM. You seem to want to trash everything else. Let's then draw that to the logical conclusion that isn't even diversity/feminism studies nor STEM. You don't even want a Department of Education in Universities so that teachers can get education and training in their future careers and actually be well grounded in what they wish to do out the gate. STEM isn't teaching. Diversity/feminism isn't teaching. But teaching is hard. Your own teachers seem to have come up a step or two short since you can't seem to process the idea that there is more than two Departments at a University. Hell, STEM is a lot more than one Department, but you seem to want it to be one absolutely ginormous magic pill that it will never be. The things that would fall under STEM would absolutely shock your naivety. And when you want to trash all but STEM, you want to trash quite a bit. More than just the Departments that you want to talk about. And more relevant to the world that you think.

Let me put it more bluntly. The world is not what you wish. Nor will it ever be. Sometimes you need to just educate yourself about a field before you realize there's a little more to it than the stereotypes you so strongly dislike and even big business puts it to good use to make capitalistic gain off of it, embarrassing the living out of people like you.
    Huh? Seems like you didn't even bother reading the post you quoted above your tirade or you simply ignored it.
    My point is pretty clear - if its not STEM, then likelihood of building career after such degree is quite low - unless, of course you mean McDonalds and other fast food companies putting "feminism studies" graduates for good use at the cashier register.
    See, they way the world works is money talks, and BS walks. No, if universities stop teaching "diversity studies", civilization won't end. Life will go on.

Full coverage of the case.
    https://quillette.com/2019/06/20/ide...erlin-college/

It might as well be there won't be any reduction in the punitive damage fees, because the defendant are so ideologically braindead that they prefer to refuse to acknowledge wrongdoing and insist they did the right thing as line of defense.

Full coverage of the case.
    https://quillette.com/2019/06/20/ide...erlin-college/

It might as well be there won't be any reduction in the punitive damage fees, because the defendant are so ideologically braindead that they prefer to refuse to acknowledge wrongdoing and insist they did the right thing as line of defense.
    Good find. But I think your conclusion is wrong. The Jury should have been content with the 22 million extra it could legally impose. That would be grounds for appeal the overreach to 33 million. However at the end of the day Oberlin is Oberlin. If the US can have BYU and Oral Roberts and various other extreme private universities I don't have a problem it. It's certainly not representative of all Academia just as my other two examples are not. The system worked Oberlin was punished.

I think the reasoning of the court is:
    -there was an original sum to pay, which could have been reduced to the legal maximum of slightly above $10 million;
    -Oberlin didn't ask for the reduction (thus the court can't and won't apply) but insisted on the grounds that they did nothing wrong and the bakers are just racists;

As a consequence of that, they slammed an additional, significantly higher sum, which is an intimation to comply with the good ones or with the bad ones. If Oberlin insists with their line of defense the case will get sealed and they'll have the authority proceed to collect the sum, including via asset seizure.

One thing wrong its not the court its the jury. And by exceeding the law no matter how Oberlin behaved they have opened the case up to appeal. My guess is exceeding the limit on damages can be construed and the basis for appeal. In other words I doubt any appeal would get to tossing the case but it will reduce the damages. I don't know Ohio law but I would have thought maybe the judge could have altered the number to the legal limit but maybe not what's the point of a Jury than.
    Last edited by conon394; June 22, 2019 at 07:06 AM.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Huh? Seems like you didn't even bother reading the post you quoted above your tirade or you simply ignored it.
    My point is pretty clear - if its not STEM, then likelihood of building career after such degree is quite low - unless, of course you mean McDonalds and other fast food companies putting "feminism studies" graduates for good use at the cashier register.
    See, they way the world works is money talks, and BS walks. No, if universities stop teaching "diversity studies", civilization won't end. Life will go on.
    Law?
    Business?
    Film school?
    Teaching?

Quote Originally Posted by Commissar Caligula_ View Post
    Law?
    Business?
    Film school?
    Teaching?
    Personal example - communications. Back in my Biotech days myself and my co worker the Senior Systems and Network Engineers had a problem. In a place filled with PhDs it was easy raise hackles when we came across as condescending if people did not pick up on our lectures an area they were not expert we were deemed arrogant and annoying even we did a good job. So we found our salvation in the guy with a communications degree from UofM. He wasn't very good at It but he became the face of IT handling all the help desk stuff with (with ONTJ training) grace and always massaging people so they never felt like anything was their fault. He won us a raise and ton more stock options in 6 months. When Pfizer bought the company out he scored and is relaxing with a part time job in Austria with his wife.

Also
    Economics?

Also again all the people on the creative teams for say games not programming

The artists, writers, editors...
    Last edited by conon394; June 22, 2019 at 07:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Also again all the people on the creative teams for say games not programming

The artists, writers, editors...
    Level design is not programming. It will never be programming. I've tinkered with it before leaving the idea of their work schedules behind.

And you all have seen the artwork that is both the good and bad Total War games. These are not people that necessarily have a natural knack for art and educate themselves. They love art, but still get educated in it and how to work modern technological tools to produce useful items for it.

Roughly 50% of a game production is not STEM.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

They love art, but still get educated in it and how to work modern technological tools to produce useful items for it.
    Yes but they generally have to a classic mastery of art in their portfolio to go to say USC (or similar the kind of place that game artists get snapped up quickly from). You roll up with all digital art and not a rounded set of hand drawn and painted art you will not get in.

The Big E in STEM kinda takes care of above-mentioned issues.
    As it was pointed above, life will go on without universities spawning graduates with useless feminism and internationality degrees, whose only hope is to either go back and get a useful one or or get back to square one, but now 4 years later and with hefty tuition debt.

The Big E in STEM kinda takes care of above-mentioned issues.
    As it was pointed above, life will go on without universities spawning graduates with useless feminism and internationality degrees, whose only hope is to either go back and get a useful one or or get back to square one, but now 4 years later and with hefty tuition debt.
    Lots of degrees are useless depending on where you get them a rigorous feminists studies degree would better than a non rigorous STEM degree from a 3 rate program. Debt is really the issue that is the one that needs to dealt with by a t 2 free years collage if not four. One the huge driver of gross cost of care in the US health care is the massive debt doctors carry out of school and why we have shortage of GP and Nurse practitioners. It what drives the US to churn out medical specialists instead because they anticipate the higher salary will pay down debt faster and have to import nurses and GPs from the Philippines for example.

Anyways back to that useless point say at Harvard what you sneer and call unless feminist degree. In that department you can't graduate w/o a 2 year judged self directed thesis and minor concentration in stats, history, economics, poly sci, psychology, sociology etc. So A not sheltered and B ready to move on likely to any Masters program in the range of their minor because they will have already demonstrated the abilty to write and defend a thesis. You know how STEM people I know who can hardly construct a coherent page of notes/handouts for a project meeting.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast