Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Popularity of Three Kingdoms

Default The Popularity of Three Kingdoms

Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire -WONDERBOLT! View Post
    I also find the game, boring. Your most powerful move is sit on your ass, and press next turn, in short, there are too many turns per year. There's too little to do with your tiny fiefdom in a turn, and most of your time is spent looking at portraits rotating, you have to wait for your armies to replenish, your armies are small, and too expensive.

The lack of unit verity is not helped by the restrictions to generals, I HATE this. A bonus for them, maybe even one exclusive unit?? Sure! But forcing you not to take as many troops as you can? That's not good. and I hope to it gets modded out.

The game is also hard, real hard, because the battle is not with the AI, it's with yourself, you need to wait around.

The waiting to action ratio is too high, one turn per year would shorten this, and I understand why they did it, they're trying to stop the game ending by year 40. All the choices in the early game are binary, do I upgrade this building or this? The one build per comandery really shoot it in the foot. The lack of troops also, if I could ahve double the amount of armies, even if I could only move one, it'd speed up the game, in terms of perception, even though it'd take longer.

I've made my peace with the game, I try to adopt the philosophy of zen. But for most of the turns nothing happens, you build a building, and wait for your army to replenish. And then on turn 60 a collation comes and batters you with two armies where you can only afford one, and can't afford that.

And this could be great, if the game was a desperate struggle to survive, and framed as such, but since armies can't be recruited a full strength, it doesn't work, you can send your men to die, and weaken an army, but the next lot won't be abloe to defeat it, and after that, it'll just be cao cao and his body guard in your faction capital, and they'll take it an execute you. Game effectively over.

I have just 48 hours int he game. I've only had two secession with it, when it came out, and when the DLC came out.

I've still not completed a game, the only good starting position is cao cao, and after one failure, that's boring as .

I was more interested in my wanton soup than the game. It's a shame.

I do liek the characters, ro rather the factions, bandits, (awesome) evil dictator (wonderful), loyal governers (awesome), collation (bit boring but okay), Yellow turbans, awesome!

But the game gives you jack to do, it needs a court/.replenishment minigame, or double the armies and universal move points so you can leap frog them, honestly, the game sucks, it would be better if a turn was 15 months. Not 3.
    Sad, but true.
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; November 16, 2019 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Merged.

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Default Re: The Popularity of Three Kingdoms

A lot of people complained about how usually TW games become boring once you go past the middle campaign when your armies & economy are too powerful. All of a sudden you steamroller everything - so they tried to bring a bit of old-school TW style chess to the game, hence why a lot of time is spent waiting.

My 2 cents.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Spitfire -WONDERBOLT!'s Avatar Vicarius
    Canterlot Castle, City of Canterlot, Equestria.

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos Leandros I View Post
    A lot of people complained about how usually TW games become boring once you go past the middle campaign when your armies & economy are too powerful. All of a sudden you steamroller everything - so they tried to bring a bit of old-school TW style chess to the game, hence why a lot of time is spent waiting.

My 2 cents.
    A valid currency, but it's too much, pressing end turn isn't the problem, it's the sitting there for 180 seconds after you've figured out what you're doing next turn.
    GIVE CREDIT TO YOUR ENEMY AND LITTLE TO YOURSELF, AS IT MAKES YOUR VICTORY ALL THE GREATER!
    -Under the influence of medically prescribed drugs, please take much salt with this post, you have been warned!

Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire -WONDERBOLT! View Post
    I also find the game, boring. Your most powerful move is sit on your ass, and press next turn, in short, there are too many turns per year. There's too little to do with your tiny fiefdom in a turn, and most of your time is spent looking at portraits rotating, you have to wait for your armies to replenish, your armies are small, and too expensive.

The lack of unit verity is not helped by the restrictions to generals, I HATE this. A bonus for them, maybe even one exclusive unit?? Sure! But forcing you not to take as many troops as you can? That's not good. and I hope to it gets modded out.

The game is also hard, real hard, because the battle is not with the AI, it's with yourself, you need to wait around.

The waiting to action ratio is too high, one turn per year would shorten this, and I understand why they did it, they're trying to stop the game ending by year 40. All the choices in the early game are binary, do I upgrade this building or this? The one build per comandery really shoot it in the foot. The lack of troops also, if I could ahve double the amount of armies, even if I could only move one, it'd speed up the game, in terms of perception, even though it'd take longer.

I've made my peace with the game, I try to adopt the philosophy of zen. But for most of the turns nothing happens, you build a building, and wait for your army to replenish. And then on turn 60 a collation comes and batters you with two armies where you can only afford one, and can't afford that.

And this could be great, if the game was a desperate struggle to survive, and framed as such, but since armies can't be recruited a full strength, it doesn't work, you can send your men to die, and weaken an army, but the next lot won't be abloe to defeat it, and after that, it'll just be cao cao and his body guard in your faction capital, and they'll take it an execute you. Game effectively over.

I have just 48 hours int he game. I've only had two secession with it, when it came out, and when the DLC came out.

I've still not completed a game, the only good starting position is cao cao, and after one failure, that's boring as .

I was more interested in my wanton soup than the game. It's a shame.

I do liek the characters, ro rather the factions, bandits, (awesome) evil dictator (wonderful), loyal governers (awesome), collation (bit boring but okay), Yellow turbans, awesome!

But the game gives you jack to do, it needs a court/.replenishment minigame, or double the armies and universal move points so you can leap frog them, honestly, the game sucks, it would be better if a turn was 15 months. Not 3.
    I suspect the timing is what it is because the most famous characters cannot dye too soon in your campaign.
    My biggest issue is the so called "synergy" of the economy. TBH, I paid zero attention to it. I built what I wanted based on what I thought I need at the time. I had zero issues with money and I always had enough for full armies. It was also very easy to demolish buildings you figure out you didn't need and built the one's you did need.

Another issue is, despite CA's claims, the so-called "records" mode was a total "after thought" to appease the whining. Thee isn't a "records" mode, just not has "romance as Romance"mode.

I also agree the limiting generals is a bit arbitrary. I had all of Northern China and I somehow could not attract anymore aspiring would be court officials. I was a Kingdom and I still couldn't fill every court position.

One thing they should change is how factions are known. I get why they have leaders as factions. But once you established a based, you should be known as _______ of {Chinese region). This will make it a little easier to track factions development throughout the game.

Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius

A lot of good point by Spitfire-WONDERBOLT! A agree with most of what you said. Additionally the campaign map design is bizarre. Many commanderies have odd shapes, have settlements all over the place,are on both side of a mountain, or is composed of a city with a single village inexplicably separated from it by 2/3 others commanderies. To give some examples the commanderies of Ba,Badong, Shangdang or Hedong. The last two could literally exchange their village to make more sense.

Anyway I kind of forced myself to play a campaign until the ending. So far I am around turn 120/130 and its an agreeable surprise. Mid campaign is so much more fun than early game. It is like as if the game had been developed for middle sized or bigger faction but for obscure reasons had its campaign reduced to 1 settlements factions. I understand CA was kind of forced to make small factions as to represent the famous individuals of the novel but it is still a shame.

probably not
    it uses the same engine that they adopted in the last couple games, so it won't be very moddable, and the map will probably be impossible to mod at all

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234