Thread: [EBII Sweboz AAR] The Furor Teutonicus [Updated: 07/06/2019]

McScottish's Avatar The Scribbling Scotsman

Default [EBII Sweboz AAR] The Furor Teutonicus [Updated: 07/06/2019]

EXPLANATORY NOTE

Now, very much like then, no one is ever truly sure what may come out of the deep Teutonic forests of the German schwarzwald.

Well, you can imagine the surprise of Dr Speziale and I when not two months after receiving the scrupulously copied text of one Panares of Lykosoura - a text which we still work diligently and tirelessly to decipher and, eventually, release to the public – a further gem of antiquity was delivered to our offices from somewhere deep within those massed trees.

It contained, along with the text itself, a note from my colleague Professor Müller detailing an arduous hunt for the very item I then held and an insistence that I should get to work on it as soon as possible! Well, with a sense of urgency that great, from such an old friend, it would have been remiss of me to not do as the dear Professor wished.

One can understand my confusion then, based on the postcode and area of finding of the package, when – ever-so-carefully and with the assistance of gloves – I espied not a runic inscription or some such, but Grecian text shaped in what can only be described as a scholarly hand.

Three weeks passed before Dr Speziale, my translator and good companion, returned from visiting his family in Bergamo and was able to not only confirm my suspicions, but also to tell me something which I never expected to hear.

What I had been given was a Germania (On the Origin and Geography of Germany), or should I say one that predated beloved Tacitus by some three centuries at least! Not to mention possibly being one of the greatest ethnographic works since Pytheas Massiliensis sailed north and recorded what he found in north-western Europe some hundred years earlier than this work.

So, what can I say so far about this quote possibly priceless document?

I can tell you that the author was indeed a Greek, one Epistor of Thespiaí, and that his journey would take him from the heartland of civilisation and into the depths of a place most civilised folk would be unable to comprehend at this point into time. Other than that, his record seems to begin some time after Pyrrhus departed Italy and finds his ultimate fate in Argos.

Excerpts will be posted as and when we can decrypt them, and we shall, much work awaits us and I am eager to begin.

- Prof W. P. Sayers

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: [EBII Sweboz AAR] The Furor Teutonicus [Updated: 07/06/2019]

That's a great opening line! This sounds like an important discovery and I'm excited to see what Epistor learned on his journey.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    That's a great opening line! This sounds like an important discovery and I'm excited to see what Epistor learned on his journey.

Thank you, Alwyn, I'm hoping (and indeed intend to) make this the AAR that I stick my foot down and actually finish! Haven't completed one since around 2008, when I was in university, and it irks me most grievously.

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

I agree with Alwyn, it's a very interesting and intruiging introduction to the AAR! I wonder how this will pan out and can't wait to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by McScottish View Post
    I'm hoping (and indeed intend to) make this the AAR that I stick my foot down and actually finish! Haven't completed one since around 2008, when I was in university, and it irks me most grievously.
    Well McScottish, I would love to see this happen! I've followed each of your start-ups since I first stumbled across the Writer's Study a year ago, and your writing is too sharp to not be put to use with a few more finished stories for our enjoyment. As with the others, I'll keep an eye on this! Keep up the good work!
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11 View Post
    I've followed each of your start-ups since I first stumbled across the Writer's Study a year ago
    Honestly not sure how to feel about that, so I'll take it as a compliment.

Quote Originally Posted by McScottish View Post
    Honestly not sure how to feel about that, so I'll take it as a compliment.
    Well taken! The rest of the sentence is all compliment, and that bit was meant in the same spirit!
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing