Thread: City converssion

Default City converssion

I was just wondering if it is possible to convert a city to castle and viceversa via script. Any help appreciated!
    FOLLOWERS OF THE WHITE HAND - Isengard Submod

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

Default Re: City converssion

No. The conversion building needs constructing - that's the trigger for the conversion to take place.

Once it's in the construction queue you can use "console_command process_cq {settlement_name}" to actually build it (and everything else that is in the queue or under construction). Getting it into the queue is the problem. Even if that was somehow possible, e.g. by script-simulating the player's mouse clicks, it could only work for the player because only they have the construction scroll in which to perform those actions.

thanks for the info! What I was thinking would be player only, so you think is possible to simulate the player's mouse click? I guess I side effect will be that castle to city conversion should be enable for the player always, wouldn't it?

so you think is possible to simulate the player's mouse click?
    I'm not aware of any way to do that. On certain buttons, yes, but not buildings in the construction scroll.

If it's for the player only then you could tell them to do it. Put the building in the queue I mean. Then script could do the construction.

I guess I side effect will be that castle to city conversion should be enable for the player always, wouldn't it?
    The conversion building could be made to be available only when and where you need it to be.

Perhaps if you explain what you're going for here exactly. Under what conditions would you want conversion available? Is it for any settlement or, if not, how many?

I see. The main objective was to lower the upgrade of a city. As far as I know it isn't possible to revert upgrades of city or castle (from huge city to village or whatever). But I was wondering that maybe in the process of converting to castle it is possible to convert to a lower tier castle, and then back to village; or convert a castle to a lower city equivalent. That's why I would need the script to be able to convert them. As to the number of settlements, ultimately would be to all of them belonging to a specific faction, though it could be at the same time or one by one.

Ah. I tried a similar thing once and got nowhere.

or convert a castle to a lower city equivalent
    Of all the conversions, of both flavours city->castle and castle->city, only one reverts to a lower level: fortress_to_city, which is actually Citadel not Fortress. The equivalent level of Citadel is large_city, not city. All other conversions are to their equivalent level.

If it's possible to invent other conversion options then I'd love to hear about it. Everything I've read about it, and tried, were unsuccessful attempts. I suspect that it's a hardcoded limitation.

This is what I was trying to do...

In TATW Large City is the highest level available (other than the odd Huge City custom settlement). Orc Large Cities use a battle model that suits Orcs nicely but is very weak defensively. When another faction captures one of these it would be nice to 'upgrade' it into a 'real' city with stone walls etc. It's already a Large City so normal upgrades aren't an option. So my plan was:
    1) Convert it to a Citadel
    2) Convert that to a City
    3) Upgrade it to a Large City. As it is the new faction doing that upgrade it will now be their model instead of the Orc one.
    Fine, except that step 1 can't be done because there is no conversion building available at the Large City level, only Village, Town and Large Town.

Whatever you're trying to do, see if it's possible to do manually first. If not then it's pointless wondering which parts of it can be done with script instead.

such a shame that it is also hardcoded. I also dislike the defensiveness of orc encampments. I will think of it further, but I guess there isn't really much anything to do. Thankyou for the feedback and the tips!

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Now I wonder what happens when you script the required conversion building to be added (create_building) to the settlement? Would require conditional testing as to the 'type' and level of the existing wall.

I'd wager it's the same effect as creating a wall building: nothing. You get the building but it's the act of completing its construction (end turn or process_cq) that triggers something in the game engine that performs the upgrade magic.