Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tucker Carlson: "almost every nation on Earth has fallen under the yoke of tyranny — the metric system"

Genava's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Tucker Carlson: "almost every nation on Earth has fallen under the yoke of tyranny — the metric system"

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    A lot of Americans are against the adoption of metric system, are they all idiots for this reason? Are they all trolls for this reason? Is their position inherently inferior to the position of those who support metric system? So that, being against metric system it's now a nonsense? So, anyone who dares to say the contrary is a now a troll? Maybe a mentally retarded ignorant moron? Perhaps another trolling agent send by Zar Putin to undermine the progressive fates of Sorosian globalism?

OMG! We have found a shining, precios example of Globalism at its best (sorry!)!
    You are clearly trolling too but this is a good example of the problem today with politics. Everything is a matter of political debate, with clear polarized opinions and diabolizing the adversaries. Everything exists to serve an agenda. This is the way Tucker Carlson uses any trivialities to create a debate. The best example is the famous "racist trees" used by Carlson to talk about racism in the US. Everything is exploited by this guy to increase the polarity of the American politics and Americans in general.
    LOTR mod for Shogun 2 Total War (Campaign and Battles!)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIywmAgUxQU

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex Magistrate

Default Re: Tucker Carlson: "almost every nation on Earth has fallen under the yoke of tyranny — the metric system"

We all remember this one, right?

If ever there was an example of diversity being overrated/counterproductive, opposing universal standards and measures must be it. Globalization in this regard is not a choice, political or otherwise. It's an inevitability driven by technological advancement. Only some global civilizational collapse could undo it. To not particiapte is to wilfully disadvantage yourself first and foremost.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Genava View Post
    You are clearly trolling too but this is a good example of the problem today with politics. Everything is a matter of political debate, with clear polarized opinions and diabolizing the adversaries. Everything exists to serve an agenda. This is the way Tucker Carlson uses any trivialities to create a debate. The best example is the famous "racist trees" used by Carlson to talk about racism in the US. Everything is exploited by this guy to increase the polarity of the American politics and Americans in general.
    Listen my dear, I'm not trolling I'm just defending Mr. Carlson's right to say what he thinks about the adoption of metric system in the USA, without being considered a poor moron, a hypocritical swindler and a political manipulator.

In my humble opinion you should move from accusing & insulting others to a more interesting and profitable stance, such as criticizing Mr. Carlson's position about metric system and its contents.

If I can, I would also like to know what (and why) you find wrong in polarization of political debate, but beware it might be an Off Topic suggestion, if so, scarp this question.

Captain Arrrgh!'s Avatar I'z in yer grass

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Muizer View Post
    We all remember this one, right?

If ever there was an example of diversity being overrated/counterproductive, opposing universal standards and measures must be it. Globalization in this regard is not a choice, political or otherwise. It's an inevitability driven by technological advancement. Only some global civilizational collapse could undo it. To not particiapte is to wilfully disadvantage yourself first and foremost.
    At the time I was surprised by that one and still am somebody really failed at project management. My wife is a scientist with USDA and all her publications are metric. Same for the actual calculation of my various relatives who are civil engineers. They toss out imperial numbers for non experts (or put in quotes) but behind the curtain it is metric/world standard SI type stuff. Realistically the Metric system is simply better even all my fathers old tool and die tools for fine measure retained inches but were than scaled in a decimal way for subdivision.
    Last edited by conon394; June 07, 2019 at 01:14 PM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

I seem to remember a time on this forum where political discussion was actually exchange of research and ideas.

Now click bait garbage like this thread that was clearly done with 0 research seems to be the norm.

Shame.

Quote Originally Posted by tgoodenow View Post
    I seem to remember a time on this forum where political discussion was actually exchange of research and ideas.

Now click bait garbage like this thread that was clearly done with 0 research seems to be the norm.

Shame.
    That's funny, I go back further than you and it was never that. It was only more tolerable.

I think people are forgetting typical Fox News viewers are incapable of irony or tongue-and-cheek, this is legit. I wouldn't call it a super serious piece, but it is genuine. Fox News watchers loved to be told "what's old is best", of course, because they are old.
    They give birth astride of a grave, the light gleams an instant, then it's night once more.

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

when your system has more in common with the "imperial system" and call the more widely used metric "tyrannical"

Quote Originally Posted by The spartan View Post
    I think people are forgetting typical Fox News viewers are incapable of irony or tongue-and-cheek, this is legit.
    Do you think they would miss the irony and be literally worried about the death and persecution of foreign trees who had committed no crime?

Fox News watchers loved to be told "what's old is best", of course, because they are old.
    This is not a remarkable data point. It's the same as MSNBC and not far off from CNN:

According to Nielsen Live +7-day data, in 2017 CNN’s median age was 60, while the median age of the Fox News and MSNBC viewer was 65.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
    Do you think they would miss the irony and be literally worried about the death and persecution of foreign trees who had committed no crime?
    Of the Fox viewers I know? Yeah, they were probably confused by all of this. From the clip on the metric system, they would definitely take Tucker Carlson at face value: metric system is bad and we don't want it here in the US.
    Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
    This is not a remarkable data point. It's the same as MSNBC and not far off from CNN:
    Idk man, Fox News viewers do seem to like to wax nostalgic over the "good old days" (undefined) and about how America knows best.
    They give birth astride of a grave, the light gleams an instant, then it's night once more.

I think people are forgetting typical Fox News viewers are incapable of irony or tongue-and-cheek, this is legit. I wouldn't call it a super serious piece, but it is genuine. Fox News watchers loved to be told "what's old is best", of course, because they are old.
    Old people are the best, though.
    Ignore List (to save time):

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

Well folks could just follow the British example and use both systems

There's no difference between Fox, CNN, CBC or the BBC. In fact, BBC is the worst.

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

I, for one, welcome the metric overlords.

I find imperial to be a pain in the ass, remedied only by the fact it's familiar given I live in its largest using ground.

I take the OP's link as being tongue in cheek, because I certainly can't take it seriously.
    Last edited by Dismounted Feudal Knight; June 08, 2019 at 06:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Arrrgh! View Post
    There's no difference between Fox, CNN, CBC or the BBC. In fact, BBC is the worst.
    I guess it is just the extra special 'conservative' sauce that is drizzled on, then.

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

At least european measuring standards had to make some sense (be tied to obvious things) so that there would be common use. Another example is Celsius, where 0 is the point water freezes and 100 where it boils.
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    At least european measuring standards had to make some sense (be tied to obvious things) so that there would be common use. Another example is Celsius, where 0 is the point water freezes and 100 where it boils.
    Well Fahrenheit is logical it just sets its 0 to a brine mixture. Kind of useful growing up around the great lakes US - in winter since below zero meant the road salt was going to stop working at night.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    A lot of Americans are against the adoption of metric system, are they all idiots for this reason? Are they all trolls for this reason? Is their position inherently inferior to the position of those who support metric system? So that, being against metric system it's now a nonsense? So, anyone who dares to say the contrary is a now a troll? Maybe a mentally retarded ignorant moron? Perhaps another trolling agent send by Zar Putin to undermine the glorious and progressive fates of Sorosian globalism?

OMG! We have found a shining, precios example of Globalism at its best (sorry!)!
    Well, let's put it this way; opposing the adoption of metric system is a very stupid thing to do. Any opposition of that is quite nonsensical. All the attributes you ask about belonging to that camp is your own opinion. Can you tell us why it's not nonsensical to oppose the metric system?
    The Armenian Issue

Praeses

Imposing a common system of weights and measures is usually part of a conquest. That said the French haven't conquered the US. The British voluntarily adopted metrics while retaining pints, and no on hates the French like the English. Apart from the Germans.

Why would US politicians retain a clunky error-prone system? Is it to keep their own people stupid? More likely its just another crappy shibboleth like "nukes are bad" or abortion. Evil minded leaders whip up a point of difference and cling to it as though they actually believed in it, no matter the real cost.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast