Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tucker Carlson: "almost every nation on Earth has fallen under the yoke of tyranny — the metric system"

Genava's Avatar Senator

Default Tucker Carlson: "almost every nation on Earth has fallen under the yoke of tyranny — the metric system"

Not a day passes without seeing the US political polarization intensifying.

Article:
    Tucker Carlson equates the metric system with 'tyranny,' so someone should probably tell the US military
    https://taskandpurpose.com/tucker-ca...ystem-military

Tucker Carlson Bravely Exposes The ‘Tyranny’ Of The Metric System
    http://www.newshounds.us/tucker_carl..._system_060619
    LOTR mod for Shogun 2 Total War (Campaign and Battles!)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIywmAgUxQU

Captain Arrrgh!'s Avatar I'z in yer grass

Default Re: Tucker Carlson: "almost every nation on Earth has fallen under the yoke of tyranny — the metric system"

LoL.

Please, TWC schism-ites, please start hotly debating this.

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: Tucker Carlson: "almost every nation on Earth has fallen under the yoke of tyranny — the metric system"

A lot of Anglo Saxons hate the metric system, I can understand them and I think they are not less respectable human beings for this.

We must consider that the metric system was imposed over Europe by the bayonets of the French troops of Napoleon Bonaparte, and Bonaparte is certainly not a good example of liberty and democracy, therefore, Carlson the Great seems being not too far from truth.

The political sponsor of weights and measures reform in the French Revolutionary National Assembly was the Bishop of Autun, better known as Talleyrand. Under his auspices, the French Academy appointed several committees to carry out the work of developing a usable system of weights and measures for France. One of the committees recommended a decimalized measurement system based upon a length equal to one ten-millionth of the length of a quadrant of the earth’s meridian (i.e., one ten-millionth of the distance between the equator and the North Pole)
    In 1790, in the midst of the French Revolution, the National Assembly of France requested the French Academy of Sciences to “deduce an invariable standard for all the measures and all the weights.” The Commission appointed by the Academy created a system that was, at once, simple and scientific. The unit of length was to be a portion of the Earth’s circumference. Measures for capacity (volume) and mass were to be derived from the unit of length, thus relating the basic units of the system to each other and to nature. Furthermore, larger and smaller multiples of each unit were to be created by multiplying or dividing the basic units by 10 and its powers. This feature provided a great convenience to users of the system, by eliminating the need for such calculations as dividing by 16 (to convert ounces to pounds) or by 12 (to convert inches to feet).

source

I support the metric system and Carlson should employ his time better. For instance telling conservatives about the radicalization of liberals and how they hate freedoms, they hate white people, they hate men, they hate Christianity and they want to destroy us. Now that'd be good. Carlson generally does a great work but this one is dumb.

Is it not obviously a bit tongue in cheek? I mean the sense of nationalism is real, but they both can't manage to keep a straight face the whole time.

I've literally made this same joke working with foreigners.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Genava's Avatar Senator

We must consider that the metric system was imposed over Europe by the bayonets of the French troops of Napoleon Bonaparte, and Bonaparte is certainly not a good example of liberty and democracy, therefore, Carlson the Great seems being not too far from truth.
    The Roman law is behind our modern common law. Do you think it has been popularized through peaceful relations? Is it enough to conclude it is bad?

Moreover, the metric system has been popularized after Napoleon as well. And Napoleon was not the best promoter of the metric system: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesures_usuelles

Concluding like Carlson that the metric system is a tyranny, fearing the globalization induced by this system, is plenty wrong and excessive.

Quote Originally Posted by Genava View Post
    Concluding like Carlson that the metric system is a tyranny, fearing the globalization induced by this system, is plenty wrong and excessive.
    That's not it at all, most Americans just don't give a crap what other countries use. It's a jab at preachy Europhile leftists, the kind that think San Francisco is really more of a European city.
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Genava's Avatar Senator

That's not it at all, most Americans just don't give a crap what other countries use.
    Thankfully yes, most Americans are not fanatical like T. Carlson. But I was talking about his opinion.

It's a jab at preachy Europhile leftists
    This is why I started the thread with "not a day passes without seeing the US political polarization intensifying".

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
    That's not it at all, most Americans just don't give a crap what other countries use. It's a jab at preachy Europhile leftists, the kind that think San Francisco is really more of a European city.
    It feels a bit like just like calculated flag waving for the hard fox base of viewers. The ones who don't really notice that the US is perfectly fine using traditional measures and industry and science will just do metric. I wonder if they are fishing for another war on Christmas type thing.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Thankfully yes, most Americans are not fanatical like T. Carlson. But I was talking about his opinion.

This is why I started the thread with "not a day passes without seeing the US political polarization intensifying".
    The whole thing is lighthearted. That's not the way an American would mispronounce "kilograms" just reading it. He did it to deliberately make it sound foreign. It's ridiculous to think Tucker Carlson's doesn't actually know how to pronounce it. He grew up in La Jolla, California. His father was the president of the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, the non-profit that funds NPR and PBS, the two media outlets that coastal liberals fetishize most. In other words, Tucker Carlson comes from the exact culture of the people who actually believe conservatives are so dumb that they didn't get that there is an element of jest (or at least theater) to the whole presentation.

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    It feels a bit like just like calculated flag waving for the hard fox base of viewers. The ones who don't really notice that the US is perfectly fine using traditional measures and industry and science will just do metric. I wonder if they fishing for another war on Christmas type thing.
    He's definitely playing to the "yeah, screw them" element in his audience.
    Last edited by sumskilz; June 07, 2019 at 08:51 AM.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

The whole thing is lighthearted. That's not the way an American would mispronounce "kilograms" just reading it. He did it to deliberately make it sound foreign. It's ridiculous to think Tucker Carlson's doesn't actually know who to pronounce it. He grew up in La Jolla, California. His father was the president of the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, the non-profit that funds NPR and PBS, the two media outlets that coastal liberals fetishize most. In other words, Tucker Carlson comes from the exact culture of the the people who actually believe conservatives are so dumb that they didn't get that there is an element of jest (or at least theater) to the whole presentation.

He's definitely playing to the "yeah, screw them" element in his audience.
    Than he is a Blood traitor
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Metric System is just a convention, like driving on the right (why are the Brits stubbornly still driving cars on the left?), like using Common Law or Roman Law, like Political Correctness (isn't it a good way to live togheter in peace and love?), like any kind of language (why don't we adopt English as common language?) and alphabet (why do Japan, China, India, Israel, Arabs, Russians, Greeks .. stubbornly insist in refusing to adopt our simple and smart Latin alphabet?) and so on; so, as any convention, also the metric system is not an absolute scientific truth, it depends on many factors like: national interest, economic conveniences, traditions, culture, social psychology and many other direct and indiract factors; metric system it's not an absolute truth, it's just a convention and, as such, it's also an extremely debatable matter.

What I find wrong it's not the metric system, what I find deeply wrong it's attacking a man just because he has decided to defend a system of conventions rather than another one, in this way suggesting he's stupid and ignorant because he doesn't see the inherent supposed validity of a stupid conventinal system of measures. I'm deeply scared by this cultural stance, in it I can see the poisonous seeds of any tyranny.

Genava's Avatar Senator

In other words, Tucker Carlson comes from the exact culture of the people who actually believe conservatives are so dumb that they didn't get that there is an element of jest (or at least theater) to the whole presentation
    It is far-fetched, I really not have the impression that he is from this "culture of the people who actually believe conservatives are so dumb".

Genava's Avatar Senator

What I find wrong it's not the metric system, what I find deeply wrong it's attacking a man because he publicly defends a system of conventions rather than another one, suggesting he's stupid and ignorant because he don't see the inherent supposed validity of a stupid conventinal system of measures. I'm deeply scared by this cultural stance, in it I can see the poisonous seeds of any tyranny.
    It is not his defense of a system of conventions the problem. Its use as a political scarecrow representing globalization is the problem.

Moreover, you have absolutely no idea of what you are talking about, this is not only a matter of conventions. The US are "translating" their imperial system to the metric system to define the former by the latter. Because the imperial system means nothing, the size of a foot is not the same between two persons.

Mithradates's Avatar Domesticus

Kylo Grams will be the next villain in Episode IX!

The whole thing is lighthearted. That's not the way an American would mispronounce "kilograms" just reading it. He did it to deliberately make it sound foreign. It's ridiculous to think Tucker Carlson's doesn't actually know how to pronounce it. He grew up in La Jolla, California. His father was the president of the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, the non-profit that funds NPR and PBS, the two media outlets that coastal liberals fetishize most. In other words, Tucker Carlson comes from the exact culture of the people who actually believe conservatives are so dumb that they didn't get that there is an element of jest (or at least theater) to the whole presentation.
    ^This. I dont see how could anyone take this video seriously.

It is not his defense of a system of conventions the problem. Its use as a political scarecrow representing globalization is the problem.

Any debatable matter may be debated and politically used, I don't see any problem in this.

For example: Gender culture (sorry!) is a social highly debatable matter and it's politically massively used by globalists and/or socialcommunists to show their higher moral ground; mass immigration is a social matter extremely debatable, but it's politically used by globalists and socialcommunists to show how much they're human and genreous compared to their adversaries; abortion is a medical social matter, highly debatable and highly divisive and it's massively used by leftist forces (?) to show they are more liberal than their adversaries; so, why can't Carlson use a debatable economic convention as political tool? Just because he's not Leftist? The argoment seems to me at least a bit weak.

As with the ToS, isn't it better attacking the content rather than the man who brings it?

Genava's Avatar Senator

^This. I dont see how could anyone take this video seriously.
    Tucker Carlson is the kind of irrational person loving to provoke others. Trolling and journalism are the same thing for him. This is not the first time he is defending non-sense and provocative stuff.

Tucker Carlson is the kind of irrational person loving to provoke others. Trolling and journalism are the same thing for him. This is not the first time he is defending non-sense and provocative stuff.
    A lot of Americans are against the adoption of metric system, are they all idiots for this reason? Are they all trolls for this reason? Is their position inherently inferior to the position of those who support metric system? So that, being against metric system it's now a nonsense? So, anyone who dares to say the contrary is a now a troll? Maybe a mentally retarded ignorant moron? Perhaps another trolling agent send by Zar Putin to undermine the glorious and progressive fates of Sorosian globalism?

OMG! We have found a shining, precios example of Globalism at its best (sorry!)!

I'm thinking he's irrational all the way to the bank. Tucker Carlson's main gigs prior to Fox News were as the token conservative on left-leaning networks (MSNBC and CNN in particular), which isn't so much about balance, as it is about drama. It's sort of playing a character, like Alan Colmes the token liberal on Fox, who incidentally began his career as a comedian.

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Say "Tyranny" one more time!
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast