Thread: Portraits Enhancement Project

Default Portraits Enhancement Project

We all know that EBII has one of the best and most complex trait system that brings an almost rpg element to your Generals and Family Members. However, the portraits aren't that pretty to say the least. That's why I'm starting this thread to gather more images to add more portraits and change the current ones. In fact, I already spent hours working on it, checking the portraits from When Worlds Collide submod for Roma Surrectum III, photos from Evropa Antiqva page and Leonardo Mattioli photos. All of them gave me permission to use the photos

My current goal is to add new Portraits for Carthage, Roma, the Greek factions, the Numidians and the Iberian factions. The rest I will think about later. For now, I have already added 73 new portraits to Carthage which is the triple amount of portraits that faction has in the game. The goal is to reach at least 100 portraits so that you will find less repetitive ones during your campaign.

So if you have good images of these peoples feel free to share them!

Check some of the new portraits:

postm00v's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: Portraits Enhancement Project

Nice! Do you have a download somewhere?

I can place the files do download here but I was going to wait until I finish the portraits for most of the factions I said. Of course, if you are interested in starting a campaign with Carthage right now, I can place the files. It has almost 80 portraits plus almost half have different older versions (you know when they reach 50 years old and the portrait changes) which is a lot better than the twenty something portraits that EBII has for Carthage.

Very interesting project. I've added some images for the Greek/ Diadochi Kingdoms in an imgur post, here's the link https://imgur.com/a/yv7Xlpg , I added some descriptions under the images.

Rosbjerg's Avatar Tiro

Looks awesome! I'm making a portrait mod using Crusader Kings 2's system. It's gonna take some months to make all the cultures, but I think it's all right, if a little simple.

Problem is, no period specific helmets etc. - which yours have.

Quote Originally Posted by antiochos_hierax View Post
    Very interesting project. I've added some images for the Greek/ Diadochi Kingdoms in an imgur post, here's the link https://imgur.com/a/yv7Xlpg , I added some descriptions under the images.
    Thanks! They seem good. Actually, I have plenty of Greek and Roman portraits, but very few of the barbarian and numidian factions.

Looks awesome! I'm making a portrait mod using Crusader Kings 2's system. It's gonna take some months to make all the cultures, but I think it's all right, if a little simple.
    They look good. No problem with the helmets, that is not a requirement. Your work will be a great add on for EBII portraits!

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Just chiming in to say nice work! I'm not sure if my other submod about Greek and Roman portraits would be of use since they are a bunch of literal ancient Roman frescoes, Greek mosaics, and much later Renaissance, Baroque, and Neo-Classical era paintings of Greco-Roman people. However, I wish you the best of luck here and it seems like you've got enough material to work with anyway! I much prefer the 3D digital art rendering than the stuff I had for my own submod, which didn't even touch the Carthaginians, so kudos to you and I can't wait to download it when it's finished.

Thanks Roma

Like I said, I have plenty of material for Rome and Greece. The When Worlds Collide submod has more than 160 portraits just for Rome and even if a lot of them can't be used (there was even a portrait of Aragorn there), I will easily reach 100 portraits for Rome and Greece.
    My biggest challenge will be finding decent ones for the barbarian factions, Numidians and finishing Carthage. I have now 82 portraits for Carthage but after spending a lot of time searching online, I don't know where to find more, that's why I'm asking for help. Why this many? Because before, with the not that pretty EBII portraits, you would barely notice if they were the same because you didn't care, but now, the portraits are so nice and unique that you will immediately notice if two generals share the same portrait.

Does somebody know which faction is which in the portraits section? It's all rel_g, rel_i etc. Is there a guide or something?

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    Moderator Emeritus

Those are cultures from what I remember. Portraits are based on culture.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    Those are cultures from what I remember. Portraits are based on culture.
    Yes but I was trying to find out which factions were. Still, by checking the portraits I think I find out the correct Iberian factions portraits. A first version will be released today.

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    Moderator Emeritus

descr_sm_factions will tell you what culture is assigned to what faction.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    descr_sm_factions will tell you what culture is assigned to what faction.
    Thanks! It will help in future releases! The first version is now released in the submods thread.

Just chiming in to say that I currently have around 750 unique portraits for the submod (old and young).

~ 200 Carthaginian
    ~ 30 Numidians
    ~ 120 Romans
    ~ 230 Greeks
    ~100 Celts
    ~ 40 Iberians

Some spies and diplomats have new portraits too.

If someone has nice photos of ancient people, please share it as long as it is not a common picture because I have been working on this for months and used pinterest as one of the main sources.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitanio View Post
    Just chiming in to say that I currently have around 750 unique portraits for the submod (old and young).
    Wow, that is impressive indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitanio View Post
    If someone has nice photos of ancient people, please share it as long as it is not a common picture because I have been working on this for months and used pinterest as one of the main sources.
    I am most likely unable to contribute, but please elaborate on what exactly you are asking for.

Mostly coloured drawings of ancient warriors/peoples. In good quality if you can.

very nice!