Thread: Why this game needs an Avatar conquest multiplayer mode

Icon3 Why this game needs an Avatar conquest multiplayer mode

I see a lot of post about how Three Kingdoms may be the best Total War game ever. I agree, but not fully, because the multiplayer aspect seams to be ignored or forgotten in those reviews and player accolades.

I am personally a long time franchise fan and player. Been playing since the original Shogun with the exception of some of the franchise's games that I didn't like the setting of gameplay of. And for me Shogun 2 was, and still is, the pinnacle of this franchise because it was a full developed game in all of it's aspects. Both single and multi player. It was a game that had a very unique art stile, brought many new ideas and improvements into the Total War franchise, fantastic music, great general speeches and very importantly expanded the multiplayer part of the game into something very new, fresh and engaging for hundreds of thousands of players. I am talking of course about the Avatar multiplayer mode, or as it's called the Avatar conquest. I for one, as many other players, remember Shogun 2’s Avatar multiplayer very fondly, and even play it from time to time, as there are still players around. The game itself came out 8 years ago, back in 2011. After it was announced, a video came out from Creative Assembly, detailing a totally new multiplayer game mode, the Avatar mode which was unheard of at that time, and blew many minds away, including mine.

I went and wrote a lot about this subject on my blog:

Blog post: https://theloadingscreen.video.blog/...tiplayer-mode/

But, long story short:

I think that the Creative Assembly needs to realize that they have a excellent opportunity here to make a new massive Avatar mode based on the three generals systems with basic and advanced units, based on the Records mode of the Three Kingdoms. As they already have many of the advanced customization system already in place in the singleplayer part of the game.

With the cancellation of Total War Arena it might be the perfect time and place to make a new Avatar conquest mode in China and offer it to ever growing number of fans and players of the Total War franchise. In the today's world of game exposure with E-sport, game streaming and other platforms for sharing gameplay live I think this game mode could become a large hit for years to come.

The new three general system would obviously be the basis of this games Avatar conquest mode. Depending on the depth the developers from Creative Assembly would go, generals could level and gain flat stat boosts and/or unlock more powerful skills and abilities that affect themselves, enemy generals or the army units in their or enemies army. Along with unlocking generals, players would be winning battles and conquering provinces, which would unlock new unit types, special units of already unlocked unit types, retainers, general armors and weapons. Retainers would give buff and debuffs to units and generals, while armors and weapons could be just cosmetic items, or not and have actual stat boosting defects. Units would earn veteran status just like in Shogun 2, and this would unlock their more advanced abilities and powers

Do you agree with me or do you have reasons to disagree?
    With Total war since original Shogun, made my life better!
    My videos about Total War on YouTube :
    https://www.youtube.com/user/perafilozof

La♔De♔Da♔Brigadier Graham's Avatar Artifex♔Duffer♔Civitate
    Patrician Citizen

The Den,with a massive pair of binoculars, surveying TWC, ensuring members are laughing & happy!

Default Re: Why this game needs an Avatar conquest multiplayer mode

I agree with that, it is a missed opportunity, however many people here dont seem to be much bothered about the multiplayer game? preferring single-player because of the modding opportunities, multiplayer lobbies have only just been fixed, suggesting that C.A. were not that concerned at launch?
    However some people complained here (mostly me) and on the official forums too.
    Your idea has been mentioned on the official forums as well, perhaps mentioning it on this thread as well, may get the attention of C.A. I have seen them perusing it.
    Here
    The more people who are vocal, the better! and you might want to mention it on the official forum too?

"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained Dufferism"

MaxMaker13's Avatar Laetus

I bought and played Shogun 2 last year and Rome 2 this year, therefore I don't have experience with the multiplayer battles of total war games.
    Can you describe to me what made the Avatar Conquest goa good multiplayer experience? (Especially for someone that mostly plays total war games single player)

Patrician Citizen

The Den,with a massive pair of binoculars, surveying TWC, ensuring members are laughing & happy!

Quote Originally Posted by MaxMaker13 View Post
    I bought and played Shogun 2 last year and Rome 2 this year, therefore I don't have experience with the multiplayer battles of total war games.
    Can you describe to me what made the Avatar Conquest goa good multiplayer experience? (Especially for someone that mostly plays total war games single player)
    Welcome to these forums sir, perhaps this video may give you some idea?....

This is part 1 of 2

Quote Originally Posted by La♔De♔Da♔Brigadier Graham View Post
    I agree with that, it is a missed opportunity, however many people here dont seem to be much bothered about the multiplayer game? preferring single-player because of the modding opportunities, multiplayer lobbies have only just been fixed, suggesting that C.A. were not that concerned at launch?
    However some people complained here (mostly me) and on the official forums too.
    Your idea has been mentioned on the official forums as well, perhaps mentioning it on this thread as well, may get the attention of C.A. I have seen them perusing it.
    Here
    The more people who are vocal, the better! and you might want to mention it on the official forum too?
    I will put it up there as well. I did my best to spread the word,
    I have posted on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/co...r_multiplayer/
    On the official forums: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussi...-mode/p1?new=1
    on Steam discussion boards: https://steamcommunity.com/app/77934...7494949156973/
    And a few other places, but on these it got the highest number of responses. Mostly positive with like minded individuals agreeing that this game would benefit from an Avatar Conquest mode.

Thank you for doing your best to make CA see the problems of battle list!

Quote Originally Posted by MaxMaker13 View Post
    If you read my blog post of the OP you will find a comprehensive explanation of the Avatar mode as well as pictures showing it.
    With Total war since original Shogun, made my life better!
    My videos about Total War on YouTube :
    https://www.youtube.com/user/perafilozof

Patrician Citizen

That exactly how it should be done sir, lets see if it is implemented in the future eh? keep "plugging" away and dont relent!

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

The only MP TW game that I enjoy actually is Arena. Sad that it's gone. I'm hoping that it's somehow got back in 3K. Maybe a 5v5 instead of 10v10 and each player control a single character with retinues.

Would be great for team tournament battles. There are many Arena players who are not really into TW campaigns amd never bought any TW games but they enjoy Arena very much.

The Avatar was great too. One of the MP game that I played quite a lot back in the days.

MaxMaker13's Avatar Laetus

Thank you for the answers.

It seems a good multiplayer mode (like Avatar Conquest) for 3K would increase its longevity by a lot.

I would also like a multiplayer campaign for more than two players without the problem of long waiting times (with more or less simultanious turns).

JackDionne's Avatar Senator

To me Avatar is the most fun I have had with a TW series. 3K setting seems to have so much more potential.
    3K needs to have an Avatar Campaign!!!