Thread: Streaming, Bing watching and thoughts on recent spy shows knocking about

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Default Streaming, Bing watching and thoughts on recent spy shows knocking about

OK so an bit of a random thread.

Having gone off cable and all streaming I'm not sure I any more happy. I mean I have to maintain multiple steaming services now, borrow HBO from a relative and face the quandary seeing if I can remember to cancel the 30 day free trial for a one off watch from some network... Beyond that there is the madding way in shows pop in and out and off to a different platform and whatnot at random. I was for example having a fun time re watching Daria with my two teen kids and then bam it disappeared middle of the month (Its back now just as suddenly). Finally I would think it work better in some part of the USA that had better bandwidth. In rural SE Ideho service is unimpressive and it can get a bit testy at a time 5 people all what to watch something different on their devices.

Well In any case I happened to be alone for a week and decided to watch all the spy type show I noticed hanging about on the big streaming services.

I ran through the first (and only season) of Whiskey Cavalier [from ABC]. Amusing in a light way but I could not help thinking it was sort of a Leverage but with spies from disparate US agencies instead of criminals turned good. Verdict I not sorry I watched it but I'm not crying that it got canceled.

First Season of Jacky Ryan [Netflics] Hmm I not a Clancy fan and aside the movie Red October I really meh to dislike on the other movies and source material. Thought I would be disappointed but I rather liked season one. The lead actor is just a bit dull, but the reworking of Jack seems more believable. The treatment of the enemy Islamist terrorist threat is also surprisingly nuanced (perhaps a bit of a development of a tiredness of the GWT and looking back not fondly on Gr Bush jr's black and white sort of endless crusade?). I will wait and watch a second season set in Russia.

MI5/Spooks [BBC it think but on Hulu]. Best of the lot. Older series with a long run. Dour and spends a lot of time looking at the cost to personal life of being a 'spook'. I'm a sucker for British TV so I a bit biased. Interesting tid bits seeing the special relationship from the UK side not always being so special.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The swerve to the Russian tie was interesting and unexpected at the end It does not allow a lot of plot Armour either. In kills and or humiliates it main characters with joy

Am I missing any other series about? Any thoughts if you watched them and how is the brave new world of streaming working for you?
    Last edited by conon394; June 04, 2019 at 08:10 AM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Default Re: Streaming, Bing watching and thoughts on recent spy shows knocking about

Spooks is definitely one of my favourites. Though just like you, I also prefer watching British stuff. Especially comedy.

Jack Ryan was also cool but like you I also felt that the lead actor could have done better. Felt bland even though the story has potential.

Have to check Whiskey Cavalier. Sounds cool, could use a bit of comedy, always.

My recommendations would be:
    • Homeland
    • The Night Manager - Bloody classic miniseries
    • The Americans
    • Hunted 2012
    • Deutschland 83

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Default Re: Streaming, Bing watching and thoughts on recent spy shows knocking about

Quote Originally Posted by Ishan View Post
    Spooks is definitely one of my favourites. Though just like you, I also prefer watching British stuff. Especially comedy.

Jack Ryan was also cool but like you I also felt that the lead actor could have done better. Felt bland even though the story has potential.

Have to check Whiskey Cavalier. Sounds cool, could use a bit of comedy, always.

My recommendations would be:
    • Homeland
    • The Night Manager - Bloody classic miniseries
    • The Americans
    • Hunted 2012
    • Deutschland 83
    Thanks I'll check out which ones I can access.

I will double down on the actor playing Ryan probably the reason I still like Red October is Baldwin was just a better actor. I would say somebody like Tim Roth cares the academic who suddenly can be a man of violence much better in Lie to Me
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.