Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: John Cleese: London doesn't feel like an English city anymore. Legitimate to prefer some cultures over others

Default Re: John Cleese: London doesn't feel like an English city anymore. Legitimate to prefer some cultures over others

Quote Originally Posted by Coughdrop addict View Post
    And yet California continues to be the engine driving the US economy. For all of the right-wing chest thumping about how they are superior in every way to the liberals, without the productive blue states the US would be a Russia-style impoverished wasteland. This reliance on blue states and inability to stand on their own makes those on the right feel inferior and insecure, so they lash out like spoiled children. That explains the right's knee-jerk hatred of California.
    Its not California thats that engine, its businesses located in California. Of course, red states do not "rely" on them , since without those pesky Republican states, these corporations would have nobody to sell their goods and services too. So in a way, California is a parasite. There is already phenomena of population flight from the state, only a question of time when major corporations start that trend as well. And without these corporations, even the poorest red state would be better off then California, mainly because Democrats show that they are unable to do basic government things. You know, like sanitation, Romans figured that stuff out thousands of years ago, but modern Democrats are still unable to "unlock" that. I believe, Trump should consider bringing in the military there before situation doesn't get too out of hand.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Default Re: John Cleese: London doesn't feel like an English city anymore. Legitimate to prefer some cultures over others

So in a way, California is a parasite
    Parasite rather describes the red that take massivly more federal dollars than they pay in. New York and California get the shaft so red states can be welfare queens.

There is already phenomena of population flight from the state, only a question of time when major corporations start that trend as well.
    Yes you get some retirement movement, but look luck attracting to dismal rural america. California's only real problem is it simply has faced up to need to put in affordable housing. Notice given its climate it needs to fund a lot housing/shelters for the indigent since it will a magnate for people. In a shelter a well public health system would have the chance to provide services for makes most people homeless either addiction or metal health issues.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Parasite rather describes the red that take massivly more federal dollars than they pay in. New York and California get the shaft so red states can be welfare queens.
    No, corporations within California do. Without them, it would be far worse off then any other state. And them moving to a place which isn't run into the ground by Democrat apparatchiks is only a question of time.
    Yes you get some retirement movement, but look luck attracting to dismal rural america. California's only real problem is it simply has faced up to need to put in affordable housing. Notice given its climate it needs to fund a lot housing/shelters for the indigent since it will a magnate for people. In a shelter a well public health system would have the chance to provide services for makes most people homeless either addiction or metal health issues.
    California's only real problem is that it is run by Democrats, who show complete lack of ability to actually govern anything. Essentially Democrats need poverty to get voted in, which is why they are trying to spread it as much as possible.

Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    California's only real problem is that it is run by Democrats, who show complete lack of ability to actually govern anything. Essentially Democrats need poverty to get voted in, which is why they are trying to spread it as much as possible.
    You do realize which parties governor had California waling with budget deficits and which came in and solved them? Hint former red, latter blue. Under what color governor was the state pensions system allowed to massively bad risky bets in the market before the compost - err red.

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

You do realize which parties governor had California waling with budget deficits and which came in and solved them? Hint former red, latter blue. Under what color governor was the state pensions system allowed to massively bad risky bets in the market before the compost - err red.
    I don't recall Republicans forcing Democrats to completely ditch infrastructure and concept of sanitation itself. Nor do I see that happening in any red state. I mean red states have their problems, but they don't have medieval disease problems. Democrats just aren't good at doing government stuff. I mean their source of support is corporate donations and votes from poor people. Hence why Democrats would love for more people in US to become poor.

ditch infrastructure and concept of sanitation itself.
    Well you not been to Texas or any of squatter areas around Houston or Dallas. Again any large city in the US that atracts homeless to to high costs and good wealth (again not freezing to death) will be facing this problem.

Democrats just aren't good at doing government stuff
    You can't reiterate that after ignoring my previous post. Sam Brownback Kansas anyone nice job. That supply side fantasy worked real good notice California had better growth under Jerry Brown the whole time?

Well you not been to Texas or any of squatter areas around Houston or Dallas. Again any large city in the US that atracts homeless to to high costs and good wealth (again not freezing to death) will be facing this problem.
    Yet we don't hear of outbreak of medieval diseases in Texas.
    You can't reiterate that after ignoring my previous post. Sam Brownback Kansas anyone nice job. That supply side fantasy worked real good notice California had better growth under Jerry Brown the whole time?
    As I said, its been under complete control of Democrats for the longest time. Can't blame that on elephant boogeyman.

I don't recall Republicans forcing Democrats to completely ditch infrastructure and concept of sanitation itself.
    Wtf are you talking about? You have no familiarity with the areas you are bringing up. You are literally just trying to say "the other side is gross and in the street and wallows in filth". You have all these insane impressions of places you have no idea or even care about.
    They give birth astride of a grave, the light gleams an instant, then it's night once more.

Quote Originally Posted by The spartan View Post
    Wtf are you talking about? You have no familiarity with the areas you are bringing up. You are literally just trying to say "the other side is gross and in the street and wallows in filth". You have all these insane impressions of places you have no idea or even care about.
    People on the right are often woefully ignorant on subjects they've chosen (or been told to) hate. Many want California to be a dystopia so they can feel good about themselves, and therefore will ignore any evidence to the contrary.

Yeah, I'm quite arrogant for thinking that overwhelming poverty, anti-sanitary conditions and outbreak of medieval diseases is enough reasons to presume that place is kinda crap to live in, unless you are a billionaire or a wealthy Democrat apparatchik, who get to enjoy rather nice life in gated communities, segregated from the peasants. But for some reason, whenever "progressives" get unlimited power, they roll everything back to some weird post-modern iteration of feudalism.

Yet we don't hear of outbreak of medieval diseases in Texas.
    What the F--- are medieval diseases. You keep saying but please actually describe them in away I can understand.

At the presidential election level not solid D till maybe after 2000, Dole was weak candidate.

https://www.latimes.com/projects/la-...oting-history/
    Last edited by conon394; June 18, 2019 at 09:12 PM.

What the F--- are medieval diseases. You keep saying but please actually describe them in away I can understand.
    Typhoid fever in San Francisco was big news, but its probably from areas of california that you don't like to talk about.

Yeah, I'm quite arrogant for thinking that overwhelming poverty, anti-sanitary conditions and outbreak of medieval diseases is enough reasons to presume that place is kinda crap to live in,
    You wanna actually look at mean income rates or overall sanitation levels of a city rather than attacking American cities for issues you don't understand? Or maybe employment level, health care rates, any kind of real statistic to analyze rather than your personal dislike of certain politics.
    They give birth astride of a grave, the light gleams an instant, then it's night once more.

Typhoid fever in San Francisco was big news, but its probably from areas of california that you don't like to talk about.
    So you are going to show me some credentials in epidemiology?

https://www.sfgate.com/health/articl...it-3256149.php

Would seem to be more in Nevada but all resulting from global food imports.

Also you might want to run through the CDC numbers for a few recent years

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/66/...cid=mm6621md_w

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/66/...cid=mm6624md_w

Typhoid fever may be a much reduced affliction in the US but it is not eliminated around the world as in small pox and it will make its blue to the US and not just blue states.

And Hey in Canada

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...llance.html#a1

Maybe something like this:

"When one is in the hold of this ill-wished beast, one has a hundred different feelings at a time. One cries, dances, vomits, trembles, laughs, pales, cries, faints, and one will suffer great pain, and finally after a few days, if unaided, you die. Sweat and antidotes relieve the sick, but the sovereign and the only remedy is Music."

Started in the Eleventh Century anyway.

HH can't really be blamed for the term though. It's being thrown around in the media. The Atlantic for example: Medieval Diseases Are Infecting California’s Homeless
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Yeah, I'm quite arrogant for thinking that overwhelming poverty, anti-sanitary conditions and outbreak of medieval diseases is enough reasons to presume that place is kinda crap to live in, unless you are a billionaire or a wealthy Democrat apparatchik, who get to enjoy rather nice life in gated communities, segregated from the peasants. But for some reason, whenever "progressives" get unlimited power, they roll everything back to some weird post-modern iteration of feudalism.
    I honestly can't imagine thinking this unironically. California is one of the richest US states. Have you seen the conditions that people live in in rural Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana? Hell, most southern states in the USA have some abhorrent living conditions in certain areas. There is poverty in California too, but the state performs better than many red states, including the ones that I already mentioned. You keep going on with your "but muh medieval diseases" but you seem to not be able to say more than that. You can just admit the fact that you are mad about the succes of California (both economically and culturally) compared to the red states.

California is an economic powerhouse. In fact, its main export is people.
    Ignore List (to save time):

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

Quote Originally Posted by Jansenfinn View Post
    I honestly can't imagine thinking this unironically. California is one of the richest US states. Have you seen the conditions that people live in in rural Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana? Hell, most southern states in the USA have some abhorrent living conditions in certain areas. There is poverty in California too, but the state performs better than many red states, including the ones that I already mentioned. You keep going on with your "but muh medieval diseases" but you seem to not be able to say more than that. You can just admit the fact that you are mad about the succes of California (both economically and culturally) compared to the red states.
    Just because billionaires in California have more wealth, doesn't mean that the rest of the population isn't in abysmal conditions. And we are yet to hear of same situation in any "evil" Red state. And if by "success" you mean being ruled by people who are unable to do things that were done by Romans thousands of years ago (like sanitation) then sure.
    The point is that Democrats seem to be too incompetent to actually be in power. The other thing is that Democrats rely on poor people - which is why they want more of them.

Just because billionaires in California have more wealth, doesn't mean that the rest of the population isn't in abysmal conditions. And we are yet to hear of same situation in any "evil" Red state. And if by "success" you mean being ruled by people who are unable to do things that were done by Romans thousands of years ago (like sanitation) then sure.
    The point is that Democrats seem to be too incompetent to actually be in power. The other thing is that Democrats rely on poor people - which is why they want more of them.
    I'm talking about poverty rate here, not average incoming per state. California performs better in both. I never called a red state evil, you're just putting words in my mouth now. I'm saying that red states are poorer, have worse healthcare, and the population is less healthier than in California. These are facts you cannot deny. That there is an issue with homeless people has more to do with the fact that California hosts big cities and is in America, which lacks a social safety net that many other developed nations have. The Democrats do not want more poorer people, they actually try to lift them out of poverty, unlike the Republicans, who only seem to be interested in the interests of billionaires and big multinational corporations.
    Last edited by Jansenfinn; June 19, 2019 at 07:42 AM.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

And unborn children, but after birth red states give a about poor kids.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day