Thread: Error: CTD Entering battle and ending the turn

Default Error: CTD Entering battle and ending the turn

Hello, and first of all, let me thank you for such an amazing mod, I do hope that I can resolve this error and play it for myself.

My error, as the title says, happens whenever a battle is about to start, or whenever I try to end the turn even without fighting a single battle. It is a CTD and I don't have much info to go on since the error message shows an infuriating "Uh oh. This isn't good" text. Now, here's what I tried so far.

Re-installed the mod several times, going as far as to try it in all three versions (3.0, 3.3 and 3.5), neither of them worked past the battle start or round end.

Did the Virtual Store Fix, nothing changed.

Tried starting campaigns with many different factions and neither of them worked past the battle start or round end.

And even after all of those crashes my "Logs" folder is empty so I can't even post my log here to give you any more help than that. Honestly I was waiting to get Medieval not for the main game itself but rather for the mods, this included If any help can be provided, It'd be really appreciated, either making the mod work or getting any sort of logs out of the crashes to have a better understanding of the error.

Seether's Avatar RoTK Workhorse

Default Re: Error: CTD Entering battle and ending the turn

The first thing we'll have to do is get you able to produce a log. These instructions come per Gigantus in this thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus
    General = Due to a drain on resources the log has been set to 'error' - the lowest setting. To find errors that do not leave a comprehensive message, kindly set your log to 'trace' and then compress and attach the error log after a crash. Proceed as follows:

1. Set the log to trace = open Configuration.cfg (in the rotk main folder) with Notepad. In the [log] section, remove the hash ( # ) in front of the trace line and add a hash in front of the error line, save. The log will become rather big, but compressing will reduce it to approximately 5-10% of it's original size
    2. Run the mod again until it crashes
    3. Find the log = it will be either in the main Medieval II Total War folder as system.log.txt or in the ...\Medieval II Total War\logs folder
    4. Submit the log = compress the log with a utility like 7Zip and then attach it or upload to a service provider and copy the link in your post
    5. Add a description to your post about what happened (crash to menu, crash to desktop, freeze etc) and when it happened (game start, clicking on an object, when saving etc)

Note: Sometimes the log does not get written in which case even the log folder will not exist. Repeat the crash and check again.
    My log is always found as system.log.txt in the main Medieval II Total War folder, not in the logs folder.
    Member of the Imperial House of Hader - Under the Benevolent Patronage of y2day
    A Wolf Among Sheep: A Rise of Three Kingdoms AAR

Alright, so the log was in the main folder NOT in the logs folder, go figure.
    Things keep getting weirder, after I reported the error I tried to make it crash to get the log but it didn't, not in battle and not ending the turn, rather it crashed when I tried to save.
    So it either just crashes randomly or there's a new problem.
    Anyways this is the log after the crash that happened when saving the game.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Do you have the Steam version of Medieval 2?

One thing the community has learned over the years, is that you should not install Medieval II in your Program Files or Program Files x86 directories. This almost always wreaks havoc on any mods you try to play. I would highly recommend deleting Medieval II and re-installing it anywhere else, then re-installing this mod.

Tried to install it on the C: Disk outside of any Program Files folder and still got random crashes.
    And no, not the steam version.

Here's a different, shorter log that I got in a recent crash.

23:58:29.744 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2
    23:58:29.744 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Sep 5 2014 version development ===
    23:58:29.749 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
    23:58:29.749 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
    23:58:29.750 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
    23:58:29.751 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
    23:58:29.752 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
    23:58:29.753 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
    23:59:04.414 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/rotk/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 3776, column 64
    you have chosen an invalid tile(47, 146) for M-28-0085-Xm (norway)
    23:59:04.602 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/rotk/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 6772, column 137
    you have chosen an invalid tile(19, 153) for Han-Xiandi (sicily)
    23:59:04.603 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/rotk/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 6778, column 129
    you have chosen an invalid tile(18, 151) for J-1107-ZhongYao (sicily)
    23:59:04.604 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/rotk/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 6783, column 127
    you have chosen an invalid tile(19, 152) for J-1106-YangXiu (sicily)
    23:59:26.095 [game.script] [always] Germanicu5 ReallyBadAI v5.7 Running. Please upload log and savegames when reporting battle CTDs for SS.
    23:59:26.947 [game.script] [always] Turn Start normans
    23:59:52.235 [system.rpt] [error] Uh oh. This isn't good. No idea why, but exiting now. Sorry pal.

I tried to look for those exact lines but I didn't know exactly how, this happened after I ended the turn.
    I truly don't know what to do by now, I really want to play the mod honestly.
    And for the record my brother downloaded the Third Age mod and intalled it on the very same Medieval II, and it works perfectly, so it's not the game itself.

I didn’t forget about you. Will give a response tomorrow.

It's okay, I get that it might take some time. I posted a message here yesterday giving a new log after a crash that happened, this one is shorter so I'll just paste it fully.

23:58:29.744 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2
    23:58:29.744 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Sep 5 2014 version development ===
    23:58:29.749 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
    23:58:29.749 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
    23:58:29.750 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
    23:58:29.751 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
    23:58:29.752 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
    23:58:29.753 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
    23:59:04.414 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/rotk/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 3776, column 64
    you have chosen an invalid tile(47, 146) for M-28-0085-Xm (norway)
    23:59:04.602 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/rotk/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 6772, column 137
    you have chosen an invalid tile(19, 153) for Han-Xiandi (sicily)
    23:59:04.603 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/rotk/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 6778, column 129
    you have chosen an invalid tile(18, 151) for J-1107-ZhongYao (sicily)
    23:59:04.604 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/rotk/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 6783, column 127
    you have chosen an invalid tile(19, 152) for J-1106-YangXiu (sicily)
    23:59:26.095 [game.script] [always] Germanicu5 ReallyBadAI v5.7 Running. Please upload log and savegames when reporting battle CTDs for SS.
    23:59:26.947 [game.script] [always] Turn Start normans
    23:59:52.235 [system.rpt] [error] Uh oh. This isn't good. No idea why, but exiting now. Sorry pal.

This happened after trying to end the turn I believe, I can't remember exactly but I keep getting random crashes, sometimes when the turn ends, sometimes when I try to save the game and sometimes when I try to load a succesfully saved game. I looked for those lines in that .txt file but I couldn't find them, so I don't know.
    Something to have in mind is that during these days my brother downloaded and installed the Third Age mod and it works perfectly, in the same game, so the game itself is not the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by MischevousWhisp View Post
    Tried to install it on the C: Disk outside of any Program Files folder and still got random crashes.
    And no, not the steam version.
    Private message sent.

Could it be that the Graphic settings can cause crashes?
    Because I just had to do a full, clean, re-install of both Medieval 2 and Three Kingdoms mod and now both of them work perfectly, the only difference is that I set all the graphics to low before starting instead of leaving them medium and some of them High.

Yes, the graphical workload will certainly affect the stability of any mod. For example, if a mod's unit models have a huge amount of triangles and vertices and high-res texture files, battles (especially large battles) will crash all the time. On the flip-side, low poly models and low res will almost never crash. That is why we limit our texture files to 1024x1024, as it strikes a balance between visual appeal and stability.