Thread: How to read the new textures?

Default How to read the new textures?

I'm looking to verify from others that you cannot open, or at least they do not open/read right, the dds textures for 3K. I think normalmaps load properly for me but I get a black canvas when it comes to the other two dds files (I forget their names) for any of the 3K textures.

I got my photoshop in 2018 so I can't see that being the issue.

Default Re: How to read the new textures?

Quote Originally Posted by Ahiga View Post
    I'm looking to verify from others that you cannot open, or at least they do not open/read right, the dds textures for 3K. I think normalmaps load properly for me but I get a black canvas when it comes to the other two dds files (I forget their names) for any of the 3K textures.

I got my photoshop in 2018 so I can't see that being the issue.
    I don t know if it help but i got this error message with paint.net

Application version: paint.net v4.1.6

System.FormatException: File is not a supported DDS format
    à PaintDotNet.Data.Dds.DdsFile.Load(Stream input) dans D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Data\Dds\DdsFile.cs:ligne 593...….

i try with D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Total War THREE KINGDOMS\data\variantmeshes\_variantmodels\character\human\male\chinese\merged_vmd\unit_medium_iron_partial_2\tex\_variantmodelsunit_medium_iron_partial_2_material_map.dds

that my system show in reducted format correctly so it should be correct dds format for someone.

If i remember well when you save a dds file under gimp , it ask you in what ( DXT1 , DXT2 , DXT3 ,...) format type you want to save it
    each one having its on compression rate and other some différences . ( it may apear new dx format ..do be sure to have the last pluging
    version for dds ).

If you have load a file without error it may be also alpha chanel problem ( masking the other chanel , so try to invert it and if it work
    don t forget to revert it before saving , it my have some meanings for the graphic engine ).

And if all that lead to nothing better apologize me .
    Last edited by FréreAne; June 02, 2019 at 12:26 AM.

If you can't open them with paint too, then it seems like it might be an issue across programs. I'd assume CA was using photoshop but perhaps there's some proprietary format their textures use. No luck with inverting I am afraid

Smirk's Avatar Libertus

Use the 'IntelTextureWorks_1.0.4' plugin for Photoshop. That will open DX10 DDS files.

Terrific, thanks Smirk. I'll give that a try.