Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: [Teaser Preview] Divide et Impera: Alexander

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Default Re: [Teaser Preview] Divide et Impera: Alexander

Better versions of Alexander will come with time.
    It should be possible to script battles (as I see it would be the only way to get the sensation you're seeking) but this will lead to uniform campaigns and lower longevity, I fear.
    Maybe we'll do some scripted battles maybe not, we haven't decided yet.
    There are also other features (RPG oriented) we are working on but they won't be ready for the first release.

The transfer region is possible (via script) since almost a year (I tried this one month ago and it works). I'll pack it as an advanced feature of the Virtual Points System (separate download).
    It will be ready before autumn if nothing strange happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Armitage View Post
    It should be possible to script battles (as I see it would be the only way to get the sensation you're seeking) but this will lead to uniform campaigns and lower longevity, I fear.
    Maybe we'll do some scripted battles maybe not, we haven't decided yet.
    There are also other features (RPG oriented) we are working on but they won't be ready for the first release.

The transfer region is possible (via script) since almost a year (I tried this one month ago and it works). I'll pack it as an advanced feature of the Virtual Points System (separate download).
    It will be ready before autumn if nothing strange happens.
    @Jake, will you make a little video about it? Will this always be accepted or rejected by the AI?

Oh, I'm happy, the time is over when a vassal had to be declared war unnecessarily.....

Dago Red's Avatar Primicerius
    "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war" ~John Adams

I would like to know what you mean by script battles -- something elegant, or do you refer to just the classic script that spawns armies in a certain place and time? If its the latter, it reminds me of Broken Crescent and how great it was to witness the 4th crusade appearing outside the walls of Constantinople. It didn't get tiring or ruin longevity at all, but that had a lot to do with playable factions (it really only mattered if you were playing the Eastern Roman Empire, and I could see if you were a diehard ERE player, maybe that got repetitive after a while). The Mongol hordes appearing on cue in 1204 AD on the edge of the map was equally awesome, and nothing that hampered longevity, but gave the campaign a distant menace you were always dreading and/or preparing for (RP hearing accounts of them coming for decades). Once they appeared, certain things usually played out in a similar fashion for a few turns, but then it was always different and exciting. And again, it might have little to do with you, depending on what faction you were/where you were on the map.

One could imagine a Persian army spawning near whatever the closest city is to modern Erbil or Duhok on the map, to recreate the battle of Gaugamela. The player can be given a message in advance to get ready for it, choosing to engage in the pitched battle where you would have the advantage (little did Darius realize). Of course, being a TW game, the Persian stack can move and so this could easily play out differently every time if the player doesn't (or cant) engage immediately.

If this were combined with appropriately timed "Senate" missions, it could be very engaging. Like lay siege to Tyre, etc.

Re: transfer region -- great news. I knew I recalled seeing a post you made about this before. Glad to hear it's working, and coming!

Patrician

Yeah, last time I checked seemed to me that the lua functions to do that were available.
    But until I'll work on an hypotethical script I can't be sure 100%.

boblikesoup's Avatar Civis

Coincidence that a long-term Dresden Patreon supporter gets his top most desired Total War experience built by the man himself? https://www.patreon.com/Dresden

@Dresden
    This seems REALLY hard to survive as Alexander. In any typical campaign I'd just imagine Makedon getting crushed. Are there any plans to make Makedon easier so it doesn't just get swarmed by multiple full stacks every turn?

~Seleukos.I.Nikator~'s Avatar Campidoctor
    The United Europe, currently residing in Norway

I have played this campaign three times already, each time for about 30-40 turns (other people have tested it, too), and I wouldn't say that it's that hard unless something has drastically changed in the recent version that I haven't tested, yet.

It's, indeed, a bit tricky with the Thracians at the beginning, but it's perfectly doable to defeat them within the first 20-25 turns.

You start with a relatively strong army and not too bad economy, so you can basically move against Thracians right off the bat.

Mind you, the campaing starts at the time shortly after the death of Phillip when Alexander himself was in a rather precarious position that required a fair amount of skill and stealth to stabilize.

So, so sooo awesome. What factions will be playable in the end? I assume to begin with it's mostly mostly focused on Persia and Macedon? If it's super-focused and accurate or more broad/sandboxey, either way is awesome.
    Are there options for alternate history scenarios? (ie what if Macedon fails to take Hellas? Alex gets killed by an old woman throwing roof tiles? Persia wins a freak battle? etc)
    Last edited by NeptuneUK; July 25, 2019 at 01:21 PM.

~Seleukos.I.Nikator~'s Avatar Campidoctor
    The United Europe, currently residing in Norway

From the start only Macedonia will be playable with Persia coming hopefully at the later stage.

There is a focus on the more historical approach, which will most likely be even more enhanced with later patches, though as it's always the case with such campaigns, there is some sandbox element to it, no doubt.

There are, of course, different choices that the player can take. One may go west instead of east if one wishes to do so. Alexander is also a mortal character, at least for now. It's, however, recommended that the player follows the historical scenario of Alexander's campaigns as that will surely give you the best gaming experience.

Quote Originally Posted by boblikesoup View Post
    Coincidence that a long-term Dresden Patreon supporter gets his top most desired Total War experience built by the man himself? https://www.patreon.com/Dresden

@Dresden
    This seems REALLY hard to survive as Alexander. In any typical campaign I'd just imagine Makedon getting crushed. Are there any plans to make Makedon easier so it doesn't just get swarmed by multiple full stacks every turn?
    It shouldn't be. The Macedonian army was of undeniably superior quality to that of the Persians (and every other culture on the map) in this time period. The population was able to support regular reinforcements to him and they had great supply lines throughout the campaign. My fear is that it will actually be too easy as Macedon. I haven't played it yet, but I hope that Memnon's army and navy have been included as a strong counter to Alexander for the Persians.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Avarice1987 View Post
    @Jake, will you make a little video about it? Will this always be accepted or rejected by the AI?

Oh, I'm happy, the time is over when a vassal had to be declared war unnecessarily.....
    Sorry, I left this post behind. It is off-topic but a post more won't hurt much.
    If anyone is interested about this feature please post into VPS submod thread (do not post into this one, thx) but consider it is quite premature for details.
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...ESTERS-NEEDED!

Well, I won't make a video but I'll surely do a satisfying description.
    The region transfer will be automatically applied as soon as you reach the virtual points threshold and the needed money (points will come from many sources and you'll see their ranges growing/decreasing into the chosen UI, I'll probably overwrite via script the diplomacy button text). Ranges will start moving as soon as a dignitary is in the chosen region and you have given him a custom ancillary. It will require some conditions and turns to reach the threshold and most probably you'll be able to gain/gift one region per time (I don't see this as a problem).
    Accepted/rejected could be doable via a dice roll but I don't think I will add this kind of feature 'cause there will already be random dice rolls (to simulate different situations/events) into ranges.

----------

To return on-topic here's a simple preview about Alexander's faction flags. Just to spare some news.
    It's not a work of art but it isn't bad either, I hope you will end liking them.
    If anyone has different ideas/suggestions, doors are open wide.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

from left to right:

1) Makedon (Alexander's portrait with Vergina Sun)
    2) Persia (ancient persian symbol of the sun god)
    3) Lydia - persian satrapy (lion, time/region coin symbol)
    4) Cappadocia - persian satrapy (winged horse, time/region coin symbol)
    5) Armenia - persian satrapy (eagle is an old armenian symbol, imagine it as a stylized eagle, I like it)
    6) Bactriana - persian satrapy (panther, time/tegion coin symbol)
    7) Arachosia - persian satrapy (elephant, time/region coin symbol)
    8) Egypt - persian satrapy (sphinx, time/region coin symbol)

9) the last one is for Grand Campaign pirates
    Last edited by Jake Armitage; July 28, 2019 at 05:44 AM.

Centenarius

I really like those Jake! All are very unique and representative.

Dago Red's Avatar Primicerius
    "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war" ~John Adams

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

9) the last one is for Grand Campaign pirates

I think they're very good. I'd also like to see them in a real-world setting with some dust and wear, maybe slightly faded by the sun.

Also, the pirate flag is brilliant. It has echoes of the modern day Albanian flag, a sly nod to the Illyrians. I wonder -- do we know what Queen Teuta's battle flag looked like?
    Great stuff.

Civis

Hello guys i will like to propose to the team why not make Larrisa use horses again in the main grand campaign than having olives.

Great faction icons! Hail Hydra!

Hey guys. I plan to do a submod for this expansion. A more true to life representation of how alexanders army looked at this stage (less colors opposed to after his death and the rise of the hellenistic times). If you do like what i achieve maybe you could use it as the main army look for the mod. Ill be sure to contact you and share with you my source images from books etc.

7 & 9 are too modern looking, the rest are excellent.

Patrician

Could be but sometimes it's better to add variations otherwise stateliness will be the only pick

Absolutely nothing wrong with stateliness in relation to faction flags imho. First impression i got with 7 was "Dumbo". 9 you could probably get away with. Sorry if it seems harsh but others might see my opinion very different & that is fine too. Just my thoughts, overall great job.

+ Rep

Patrician

Ah, no problem at all and yes effectively it's a sort of dumbo.

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I don't accept the view that Macedon was 'superior' - at one point the Persians had almost defeated them in battle but they lost. The Persians had incomptent leaders against skilled generals.
    If Macedonian equiqment was so superior, why did Chandragupta drive and defeat the Macedonian Kingdoms that came after Alexander's demise.

I'd much prefer to play as Persia and crush Macedon instead.

Is India playable? Because after Alexander's invasions, Chandragutpa initiated wide-scale reforms in the military making sure it would be able to stand against the Greeks. Such a reformation script would involve the Mauyran Armies possesing more armour and fighting in military formations.
    Last edited by The Wandering Storyteller; August 02, 2019 at 11:33 AM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast