Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: [Teaser Preview] Divide et Impera: Alexander

~Seleukos.I.Nikator~'s Avatar Campidoctor
    The United Europe, currently residing in Norway

Default Re: [Teaser Preview] Divide et Impera: Alexander

No, or at least not in its entirety. From what I recall, the Greeks at that time had a pretty good knowledge of lands west off Babylon, and certainly some knowledge of Persia proper (Persis and Media). But what laid beyond that was almost entirely terra incognita to them.

Quote Originally Posted by DC0 View Post
    Looking at the game map in first post, I wonder: when Alexander started his campaign, did he realize how huge Persian Empire is?
    He had a general idea that the Persian Empire was enormous but he wouldn't have known just how expansive it was. Xenophon and Herodotus both write about India but Greeks didn't know how far away it was. Hecataeus of Miletus (who lived in the Ionian portion of the Persian Empire) created a map of the world that includes India in it, but after Alexander's conquests subsequent maps (e.g. Eratosthenes' map) better reflected the size of Asia and show India being much farther away from Greece than previous maps had.

Looking AWESOME!!!! GREAT idea for the DeI mod.
    Best regards.,..

Little update that will probably interest some of you who wanted to know about satrapies. After a lot of testing, the Persian AI just isn't performing how we want as a large empire so we are now giving it at try with satrapies instead. Here is an updated map we are currently working on:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    Little update that will probably interest some of you who wanted to know about satrapies. After a lot of testing, the Persian AI just isn't performing how we want as a large empire so we are now giving it at try with satrapies instead. Here is an updated map we are currently working on:

Looks promising. This setup might also make more plausible Persian scenario to play as I am actually quite interested how the empire was divided into satrapies under Persian kings. So far I am only familiar with the way Alexander divided the realm with his generals
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; June 16, 2019 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Spoilers added.

Here is a nice reference, although we didn't use this fully for gameplay reasons but we followed it a bit

How many Macedonian players are going to largely ignore Persia and focus on Italy instead?
    FREE THE NIPPLE!!!

Looks very impressive, definitely interested to see how it plays out once you are ready to release it.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Slaytaninc View Post
    How many Macedonian players are going to largely ignore Persia and focus on Italy instead?
    Oh, quite a few. I'm sure

I had missed this announcement, incredible what Dresden is other moddeur gives this game possiblites new.
    I hope I thank you in advance.

Looks interesting indeed! I didn't really enjoy Dei that much but this makes me reconsider. Good initiative Dresden, thx.

This is great!!!

I'd say that in order to prevent some apocalyptic stack-fest such a scenario can become, it may be better to make recruitment entirely based on scripts. Both timed small reinforcements for Mac and fairly powerful armies for Persians after certain stages of conquest.

~Seleukos.I.Nikator~'s Avatar Campidoctor
    The United Europe, currently residing in Norway

At least for the time being, it doesn't seem like the ordinary way of recruiting units is a problem in this campaign. Macedon will indeed have to face numerous stacks of Persian Empire and all their satrapies and the whole Empire cannot not be conquered just in a few big pitch battles, but that's the kind of point for this campaign, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Furgon View Post
    I'd say that in order to prevent some apocalyptic stack-fest such a scenario can become, it may be better to make recruitment entirely based on scripts. Both timed small reinforcements for Mac and fairly powerful armies for Persians after certain stages of conquest.
    That's an interesting idea of having timed reinforcements for even the player faction, could be a great sub-mod for those who want a more "battle focused" campaign. Something like the player needs to maintain and build up their cities and supply lines, then the small reinforcements given are based off units available to the player. Probably a ton of scripting needed to pull that off though. FYI the Persian reinforcements would simply be larger not of high quality. The Persian armies hadn't defeated the Greeks in pitched battle for about 100 years before Alexander's conquests.

valerius karamanus's Avatar Civis

I wish CA shared map tools. We could create a new one for campaigns of this era. Imagine a detailed map spanning from Adriatic to India...

This looks amazing! Can't wait. Would be cool if the reform system could be used to show the evolution of Alexanders army, as he added more native units the further east he went. Towards the end of his life I think there was plans to replace the macedonian's in the phalanx with persians.

There is a unit you can unlock once you have taken a certain city in the east and we do have plans for some more things like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    There is a unit you can unlock once you have taken a certain city in the east and we do have plans for some more things like that.
    Dresden ¿why dont you do the same thing with the makedon wars campaign in order to fix it? (i mean ussing satrappies)

Dago Red's Avatar Primicerius
    "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war" ~John Adams

Where has this thread been hiding? Had no idea this was in the works. Now I know why G.S. brings the machaira down so hard on stray threads -- this was too buried.
    Couldn't be happier if I had a date with Cleopatra tonight.

I hope some better diplomatic mechanics can be finally implemented for this to better represent the realities of Alexander's conquest. IE the campaign game should be equally important (to the game on the battle map). Less battles, but more decisive. And diplomatic resolutions to some problems -- even obtaining regions via diplomatic means rather than siege after siege -- whatever happened to this CA announced feature?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast