Thread: Fixing Settlements

Default Fixing Settlements

There is one persistent problem that I can never get fixed, which is the settlements crash on Mac. Hear me out before this gets banished to the bugs section. For some reason on Mac, fighting siege battles with the custom settlements on Mac crashes the game.

It isn't anything new, this old thread discusses the problem.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ot-for-battles

The easy fix is to just remove the settlements folder, which is what I've done for it. The issue is that I get stuck with Aztec pyramids for Greek settlements, and settlement battles are incredibly clunky. In defending siege battles as the player, the clunkiness puts me at the disadvantage (I almost always lose even when odds are even, the best thing for me to do is not use the walls at all). This is the opposite of how it actually worked. The towers don't shoot (I don't know if they do in the custom EB 2 settlements since I've never played them). The biggest issue is that EB settlements look so good, and I'm stuck with out of place base game cities.

That other thread directed this as a solution:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...buntu)-and-Mac

The issue with this is that I have the computer skills of a potato. Somehow getting EB 2 onto mac is my greatest computer accomplishment. Believe me, I've tried, but even with the directions I couldn't figure out how to use those programs.

This brings me here. People who have seen me address this problem earlier might be a bit annoyed, but unfortunately I haven't gotten any help with it. As soon as this gets banished to the bugs, it's out of sight and out of mind. For anyone that wants to joke about getting a pc, I have one. It just has a lot of problems (including not running EB 2), so using a mac is the most reliable option. Plus, I can play on huge unit sizes.

What I am asking is if someone can help with the problem, or if someone can create a mac friendly settlements folder? EB 2 is above and beyond my favorite game, but as someone who has to use a mac, it hurts not being able to completely experience it. Mac players may be crimes against nature, but we still exist.

Any help would be appreciated, and thanks for hearing me out.

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: Fixing Settlements

Have you considered playing EBII using mac bootcamp or wine or another tool like that?

It may be faster and easier to do something like that.
    Last edited by z3n; May 30, 2019 at 09:25 PM.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    Have you considered playing EBII using mac bootcamp or wine or another tool like that?

It may be faster and easier to do something like that.
    I use steam, so it downloads the Mac version of Medieval 2. I have wine but not boot camp, but I know for wine that it won’t really help with what I have.

I've run EBII on my Mac for years. I used to use the the native Mac version but a year or two ago I started running on Windows 10 using bootcamp and it works just fine. Fewer CTD's, error logs are enabled, movies run, and custom settlements work.

Quote Originally Posted by Caymus View Post
    I've run EBII on my Mac for years. I used to use the the native Mac version but a year or two ago I started running on Windows 10 using bootcamp and it works just fine. Fewer CTD's, error logs are enabled, movies run, and custom settlements work.
    Like I said, I use steam. I don’t know how to download the windows version.

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    took an arrow to the knee

Personally I would go with mac bootcamp, the game wasn't really made to be run on mac/unix/linux. If it was, custom settlements would work properly. The only reason I suggested wine is because there's a chance it might be able to interpret the calls the exe makes in regards to the settlement naming conventions (I think there is an issue where case sensitivity comes into play from what I remember, among other things)

EBII team doesnt really have the manpower to devote time to making mac friendly settlements, when solutions like mac bootcamp are easier for everybody.

You should really just try mac bootcamp, it's by far easier, especially seeing what Caymus says (I don't use mac).
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    Personally I would go with mac bootcamp, the game wasn't really made to be run on mac/unix/linux. If it was, custom settlements would work properly. The only reason I suggested wine is because there's a chance it might be able to interpret the calls the exe makes in regards to the settlement naming conventions (I think there is an issue where case sensitivity comes into play from what I remember, among other things)

EBII team doesnt really have the manpower to devote time to making mac friendly settlements, when solutions like mac bootcamp are easier for everybody.

You should really just try mac bootcamp, it's by far easier, especially seeing what Caymus says (I don't use mac).
    Not everybody can use bootcamp. I would have probably already tried that, but my mac has an annoying bug where the system takes up 120+ gigabytes. Installing windows takes up 64 GB, and I have only 65 left, and 128 GB are needed for it to update. My whole computer is only 250 GB.

And it isn't really a matter of manpower. There is the fix (just removes bugged animations) I mentioned before, I just don't have the technical skills to get it done despite trying.
    Last edited by Hirtius; May 31, 2019 at 04:40 PM.