Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barbarian Empires: Hellenistic Legacy

Lanjane's Avatar Artifex

Default Barbarian Empires: Hellenistic Legacy

Hello TWCenter!

I present you the new release for Rome - Total War, a mod Barbarian Empires: Hellenistic Legacy which is a standalone addon to my mod Barbarian Empires released last year: Lanjane's Barbarian Empires

This time, I wasn't alone, my good friends from Rome - Total War modding community helped me a lot to bring this project to life. And the most dedicated of them, Marios (crazyroman), who is actually behind the entire idea of this addon, and also huge amount of coding which made it possible. So I will let him speak for himself in his own introduction letter, but first, here's short description of this project:

Main features:

• 3 new factions replacing Scipii, Brutii and Senate: Baktria, Epirus and Bosporan Kingdom
    • About 250 new skins in addition to 1000+ of original Barbarian Empires mod
    • Special edition of Mundus Magnus map tailored by Suppanut
    • Lots of new skins for auxiliary officers (for AOR troops)
    • New late bodyguards for most factions
    • Polished design and consistent artwork style of vanilla Rome - Total War
    • Minor bugfixes and improvements to original mod

Installation

Rome - Total Music is strongly recommended!
    It was originally designed as a universal supplement for this mod and any other mods with the vanilla culture set.
    1. Unpack content of the archive to your Rome - Total War folder. A folder NL_2 will appear inside your game folder, near EXE file. It won't interfere with NL folder of original Barbarian Empires mod, do not overwrite it as they can work separately!
    2. Make a shortcut for RomeTW-ALX.exe on your desktop, right click for Properties and add the following to the end of the "Object" field:
    -nm -ne -show_err -noalexander -mod:NL_2
    OR if you are using Steam:
    Right click Rome - Total War: Alexander, Properties->Set launch options and add the same.
    If you are using multiple Rome - Total War mods, you can add them all to Steam with different launch options. Just use button "Add a game" at the bottom of your game list, then "Add a non-Steam game", then found in the list and select Rome-Total War Alexander .EXE file from Steam version. This will allow you to launch the same Steam EXE with different mods, having full benefits of Steam overlay, game time count and screenshots.

Introduction

Hello people ! I'm here to present you a successor to the mod Lanjane's Barbarian Empires, made by Lanjane. The story of Lanjane's Barbarian Empire begun as a simple sub-mod for the Macedon Expansion mod but it ended up being a fully stand-alone mod with it's own unique taste .
    Since i played the mod i was always excited with it! It was my favorite mod actually and i enjoyed playing it. Around February, an idea came to my mind, to introduce The Kingdom of Baktria as a replacer for Scipii roman family. I was always excited with Baktria and the idea of adding it to my favorite mod was mesmerizing me. After many tries and errors, sometimes feeling that i should abandon the idea too, Baktria was added in the game succesfully. In this moment, i would like to thank my friend Suppanut, because without him it wouldn't be succesful. He destroyed many errors and bugs and he was my mentor for how to change a faction culture succesfully.
    After we added Baktria, we saw that the remaining romans (Brutii and Senate) are not working as they should so we decided to replace them too, adding the Kingdom of Bosporus instead of the Senate and the Kingdom of Epirus in place of Brutii.
    While I did most of coding work, so we can have a base for the factions, my friend Lanjane has done all the faction reskins and unit cards. I can't thank him enough for bringing my dreams to life. He is an awesome skinner and modder and without him the mod wouldn't exist at all.
    Except for the 3 new factions what else is in the mod, you may ask? Changes to Arabia, Africa and northern part of the map, introducing unconquerable Terra Incognita (thanks Suppanut), new auxiliary officers for all the factions that have auxiliary units (for example, Roman Republic has access to auxiliary barbarian units if they conquer the right territories, these units will have native barbarian officers), new units for the 3 new factions and many other things!!!

Some of the chosen features:
    Baktria. The land of a thousand golden cities! With a strong infantry and awesome cavalry and good missile support. They will have to face their Seleucid, Parthian and Scythian enemies! Their roster effectively mirrors the roster of their main rival: Seleucid Empire.
    Epirus. A faction that has enemies in many sides but a flexible army, with elephants, phalangites and strong cavalry! Epirus roster incorporates italic, thracian and macedonian troops into one effective war machine.
    Bosporus. A Greek kingdom with a mix of Greek, Scythian and Thracian units, they are ready to punish their adversaries! Set a strong powerbase in Crimea and expand your kingdom!
    Apron Hoplites: A unique attachment to the shields of hoplites, protecting their lower body parts from enemy missiles. Research for the shield apron was made by me and Jirysys and the model, textures and unit cards are made by Lanjane.
    Marios (Crazyroman)

Credits

For full credits for original Barbarian Empires mod, see main mod page here: Lanjane's Barbarian Empires
    Here go the credits for Hellenistic Legacy addon only:

Crazyroman: Idea of the addon, main coding
    Lanjane
    : Textures, models, unit cards, coding, ideas, symbol of Bosporus, UI work
    Suppanut: Coding, fixing errors, mapping, AI formations, various minor stuff from Extended Cultures V mod
    Ahowl11: Channel in Slack, channel in Discord, various stuff from his mods
    RTW Enhanced Mod: Baktria and Roman Republic symbol
    DTW Mod: Epirus symbol
    Sons of Latium mod: early vexilarius officer
    Jirysys: Help with the research on the apron shield of greek hoplites
    Mausolos of Mylasa: Historical suggestions
    Sorry if im forgeting anyone . Send us a PM and we will add you here if we forgot you
    Feel free to join our Discord: Rome - Total War Modding Community

FAQ

Q: What do i need to run this mod ?
    A: You need RTW Alexander expansion 1.9.
    Q: Why there are no historical battles in this mod like there were in Lanjane's Barbarian Empires?
    A: Historical battles require many changes and fixing to make them work with the new factions, so they are temporarily disabled in the addon.
    Q: Why there are no custom campaigns like in Lanjane's Barbarian Empires ?
    A: The same reason, all these campaigns would require many hours of coding to work with the new faction set and of course various balancing fixes so they can be playable. To speed up the release, we disabled provincial campaign feature as well.
    Q: Why there are so many units in custom battles for my faction? What an unhistorical mess!
    A: What you see are AOR troops (locals available in certain locations of the map). Don't panic.
    Q: Will there be a second release?
    A: Maybe
    Q: Can i do a sub-mod for this mod and release it to the public?
    A: You can make a sub-mod for your own personal use, but you are not allowed to release it to the public.
    Q: Why there is no Senate or Senate missions in the mod for romans or other factions?
    A: The Senate had to go for modding reasons, it became Kingdom of Bosporus. As for the missions, there can be missions only for 3 factions and we found it unfair to give missions only for 3 factions.
    Rules

This mod is the work of Nicolai Lanjane and Crazyroman . If you wish to upload to another site for downloading you will have to communicate with us and if we give you permission you can do it.
    Don't steal. If you want to take something from this mod for your own mod please communicate with us.
    No sub-mods for public release are allowed.

Check for screenshots and the download here:
    https://www.moddb.com/mods/lanjanes-barbarian-empires

Credits for original Barbarian Empires mod and other supporting information may be found under spoiler.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Credits for used materials:
    Dick & Alxcruel Pax Barbarica & Barbarians Revenge mods
    dvk901 & Roma Surrectum II team Roma Surrectum II mod
    xcmhx Rome - Total War: Enchanced mod
    RedFox Diadochi - Total War mod
    HK_mars Rise of Empire 1.0G mod
    Russian_Alexander Battle for Hellas mod
    Darius & Maxmus Wind of East mod
    repman BareBonesWars Mod
    medusa0 Medusa0's Armoury
    Subrosa Florens Amazon - Total War mod
    comrade_general The Hellenic States mod
    ngr Mundus Magnus mod
    Laka Laka's numidians
    Nebuchadnezzar Mercenary Xpak
    Solon de Athenas RTR: Anabasis mod
    Guererro Sabino Guererro Sabuno's mod resources
    Europa Barbarorum Team Europa Barbarorum mod
    player1 BugFixer for Rome - Total War
    jpinard, Luvian, Siblesz completed factions mod

Campaigns and historical battles original designers:
    xcmhx awesome RTWE campaign map
    Kuban-Kazak British Campaign
    Haktar Imperial - Total War map
    Alejandro Magno Mundus Magnus 4.0 map
    NinjaCool Historical Battles Pack
    Tom Sims Historical Battles Pack
    rorarii Historical Battles Pack
    Seasoned Alcoholic Rome - Total Gameplay campaign map
    Myrddraal Sicily mini-campaign map
    Webbird Europa - 270BC map

Special thanks to:
    crazyroman for setting up most units voices, eastern officers assignments, correcting typos, extensive testing, advices and inspiration
    Dmitriy Macedonec for giving a permission to create this submod
    as1991 for his awesome Let's Play Parthia on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz_8...M5iCHKcdxr-Ev8 in an older version of this mod and inspiration
    ahowl11 for his patience with such fragile person as I am, and for help and support in various areas
    suppanut for modding advices on stability and balancing and support
    Kirila Kristi for translation corrections
    comrade_general for inspiration with his works and for great days of Persian Invasion and The Hellenic States
    Aradan for modding advices and help
    Robbe Aerts for useful tips on climates and vegetation
    makanyane for help with my epic vegetation struggle

Original Macedon Expansion Credits:
    Дмитрий Macedonec Idea, concept, text files, general administration
    Olwork Textures, models, graphics, patches
    Kamelia English localisation for ME 1.3

Last edited by Lanjane; October 14, 2020 at 05:14 AM. Reason: formatting
    Don't run too far, you will have to return the same distance.
    - Biblical Proverb
    Nobody will try to figure it out if you are made of glass or of metal. They'll treat you the same way.
    When you show your strength, you'll find a company of those who want to steal it from you, but your weakness, you'll be all alone with it.

- Winter Voices

Lanjane's Barbarian Empires * Barbarian Empires: Hellenistic Legacy * Extended Cultures V * Rome - Total Realism 8 * Lanjane's Mini-Workshop * Rome: Total Music

crazyroman's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: Barbarian Empires: Hellenistic Legacy

Happy campaigns every one !!! Hope you enjoy it as much as we enjoyed making it !!!!!

Daminios's Avatar Civis

Many thnx gentlemen !
    cheers

Just wanted to tell you I'm having a great time with this criminally hidden gem you guys got here. Extremely polished, well balanced, well thought out, This is almost a perfect vanilla plus mod. HV

Very nice mod! Great work!

Daminios, phylosopher stoned, Miguel_80:Thank you for your kind words, happy campaigns !

cocobongoclub-DJ's Avatar Père fourmois

Still nice to see projects keeping the light burning for this old game. Nice mod !
    ps. playing on a modest laptop, RTW mods are a blessing.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Under the Noble Patronage of Agisilaos
    CATW Modeller skinner since 2006, now retired - Proud grandfather of Classical-Age Total War, the ancient world in 300 bc...
    http://www.ancient-battles.com

Great mod Lanjane the skins are great

Lanjane's Avatar Artifex

cocobongoclub-DJ, Barbarian Axeman
    thank you!
    Please note that original Barbarian Empires mod was also updated to version 1.03, with some skins and features added from Hellenistic Legacy.
    - Biblical Proverb
    Nobody will try to figure it out if you are made of glass or of metal. They'll treat you the same way.
    When you show your strength, you'll find a company of those who want to steal it from you, but your weakness, you'll be all alone with it.

- Winter Voices

Lanjane's Barbarian Empires * Barbarian Empires: Hellenistic Legacy * Extended Cultures V * Rome - Total Realism 8 * Lanjane's Mini-Workshop * Rome: Total Music

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

Looks like an impressive body of work. Sent PM

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

johnswan's Avatar Tiro

Fantastic mod !!
    Playing as Dacia i notice the "rebel body guard infantry" have a knife in melee but no javelin.
    Could i fix this in the unit description?
    If so what is their entry?

Sorry about the mistake. We will fix it.

johnswan's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by crazyroman View Post
    Sorry about the mistake. We will fix it.
    That's great thanks.

Hello

I just installed the mod, looks awesome.
    Started Carthage campaign, when I built stables in Hadrumetum and city barracks in Carthage it didn't provide units it supposed to. Is this a bug or am I missing something?
    I didn't start the game from start hellenistic legacy batch file initially but with alex.exe. Started the game with batch file after, loaded the campaign but still have the same problem.

Lanjane's Avatar Artifex

Hello!

No it's not a bug, it's a part of the recruitment system in this mod. You need two buildings to access the unit recruitment: the military building, in this case stables, and the faction culture recruitment building, called "Eastern Recruitment I", "Eastern Recruitment II" et cetera. Those Recruitment buildings also unlock recruitable mercenaries for you.
    - Biblical Proverb

- Winter Voices

Quote Originally Posted by Lanjane View Post
    Hello!

No it's not a bug, it's a part of the recruitment system in this mod. You need two buildings to access the unit recruitment: the military building, in this case stables, and the faction culture recruitment building, called "Eastern Recruitment I", "Eastern Recruitment II" et cetera. Those Recruitment buildings also unlock recruitable mercenaries for you.
    That's great news, only found about the mod today and I new I must try it out. I wasn't wrong. Привет от Сербиа брат!

Lanjane's Avatar Artifex

Happy campaigning! Please, if you find any bugs, report them here or in our Rome Total War Modding community Discord - https://discord.com/invite/fsy69Ky. We are also still developing and supporting mods for original Rome - Total War so could help you with other mods if you need help.
    - Biblical Proverb

- Winter Voices

Hello again,

been playing this mod since I installed it. Played as Parthia whole campaign it went smoothly no crashes at all. Now I'm playing as Rome and I encountered CTD on the beginning of Epirus turn. I attached the save file if I could get any help, I would really like to continue this campaign.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Lanjane's Avatar Artifex

Hello juliusjulii

The crash likely happened because of so called "excess units issue". In short, meaning that some city of the world, at some point of the game, unlocked more than 64 types of units to recruit at the same time, leading to crash. I reviewed the recruitment and released a few patches, but the last of them available on ModDB (1.5.3) unfortunately still has this problem, though it occurs much, much less often than before.

There's an emergency fix, a bit of a dirty fix as it removes the recruitment of mercenaries and makes the game a bit less fun. Though it should solve the problem and make the game safe. Here's the fixed file, put it to NL_2/data/ folder replacing the original export_descr_buildings.txt (make a backup if needed).

Also for a more operative communication and real time help with the Rome TW mods, not just this one, feel free to join Rome Total War Community Discord: https://discord.com/invite/j9HpxxQP9A

export_descr_buildings.txt
    - Biblical Proverb

- Winter Voices

Thanks Lanjane for prompt reply, I will try edb right away. Just wanted to say I felt like bunch of mercenary units was way too much anyways especially low tier ones ones like barbarian light infantry or sparaba etc, it would be cool if only good ones would be available like cretan archers, heavy thureophoroi, heavy hoplites etc. Will it be safe if I try to mod it myself and do this, meaning will this solve the problem of this particular ctd?
    Thanks again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast