Thread: Tactical and realistic stat approach

Icon4 Tactical and realistic stat approach

Hey so I have been able to come up with a new formula for working on unit stats that I would like to introduce to the modding community. I think if all mods used this formula the game could play much much more better and be more fun for everyone as it would significaly increase the strategy and tactics players need to put in to win battles. (However its not like that there are that many way how to do that with total war games)

Generaly what all mods need and especialy eb is statistical encouragement of flanking while decreasing the damage units can take upfront significaly for all line units. Especialy units such as hoplites should have this driven to the maximum, while units as skrimishers should take loses from any direction. You can do this by instead of giving units armor because they wear armor you give them stat points for how they should play like (meaning that even when unit has no shield but I want that units to take little damage upfront but be absolutely defenseless when flanked, I give that unit shield stats)
    This could be futher encouraged by traits (I know rome had stabbing trait, meaning unit dealt more damage from back attacks, dont know if its in med2)

Basicly what you want to do is make units be able to hold line while become really vulnerable from behind depending on the unit type (the more organized the unit is the more capable should the units be at holding line without taking any loses)

This would also signifacaly increase the strenght of elite units as their better fighting abilities would shine in fights versus weaker units (they wouldnt take any damage while slowly melting away the enemy thanks to their superior stats, which is how it went on real battlefield in most cases) While still being vulnurable from behind, where their stat difference would no longer matter that much

Anyway I am just putting this out there for players and modders to read as I hope to see someone really trying this approach out as it would make any mod much more tactical and fun

QuintusSertorius's Avatar EBII Hod Carrier
    Artifex

Default Re: Tactical and realistic stat approach

The battle engine in RTW was better than the one in M2TW. Cohesion and charging worked better, pikemen could have secondary weapons that functioned, and you could set lethality on an individual unit basis.

Don't assume things that were present in RTW are also present in M2TW without actually verifying it.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    The battle engine in RTW was better than the one in M2TW. Cohesion and charging worked better, pikemen could have secondary weapons that functioned, and you could set lethality on an individual unit basis.

Don't assume things that were present in RTW are also present in M2TW without actually verifying it.
    woah there cowboy

It's a good point though, Med2 requires, shall we say, workarounds to make some units function at all, and this makes it hard to standardise things.

Pikemen are a notorious issue: their secondary weapons always deploy too soon, so removing them totally is the only way to get pike formations working at all - but then you can't break the formation by flanking it because it just automatically becomes a pike square. So various workarounds regarding cohesion and mass and animations and movement speed have to be put in place to make pikemen function basically at all, and getting them to be extra vulnerable to flanking the way they are in Rome1 is kind of (afaik) impossible - and if you give them defensive/offensive stats in line with other units they become massively overpowered because they never drop those pikes. It's a delicate, fragile mess, and that kind of goes for the whole battle engine.

What you're proposing, OP, is imo already represented fairly well by the morale system - frontal grinds take ages, flank or rear charges will wreck face.

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    Patrician Artifex Modding Staff

He may have a point, the calculations that take place in the AI might factor in the direction of the best way to attack.

Although knowing CA, they may not have even bothered doing something like that. Battle AI isn't something they really cared about sadly.
    Contributor in The AI Workshop
    AI/Game Mechanics Developer for Europa Barbaroum II
    Developer of The Northern Crusades
    Retired Lead Developer for Classical Age Total War
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance/MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)