Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Tiger of Jiangdong! Sun Jian Let's Play!

Default The Tiger of Jiangdong! Sun Jian Let's Play!

I am very clearly getting the grasp of this amazing game. I do not know much about the time period or generals, but that's why I learn and read as I go.

Here is the first part in my Sun Jian campaign for Total War: THREE KINGDOMS! Very impressed with this game so far. Already expanding into surrounding territories as Jian's bravery is feared through China. This should be a magnificent campaign. Look forward to a multiplayer campaign so be sure to like and subscribe for more THREE KINGDOMS content!

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: The Tiger of Jiangdong! Sun Jian Let's Play!

It's great to see Three Kingdoms in action! The narrative elements from the book Romance of the Three Kingdoms (like the finding of the imperial seal) look like a nice touch. It looks like the diplomatic options are a bit overwhelming at first and that it's a cool feature to be able to see all of the units which can be unlocked (as well as building trees). I wonder what you think of the need for armies to have sufficient supplies to avoid losing soldiers.

In this episode Sun Jian fights Liu Biao in a massive forest engagement! Watch to see who comes out alive! I am still getting the hang of family dynamics and the tech tree overhaul which is very interesting. The battles in THREE KINGDOMS are truly epic in scale, I love the animations and pretty much everything about the game. Loads of fun! I am now setting my sights on conquering an entire province so I can begin to garner more strength against my growing enemies.

An intense battle, indeed! It looks like your flank attack and focusing on the enemy general were important moves. It looks like Three Kingdoms re-creates the uncertainty and chaos of a battle-field well, so that both side's commanders could believe that they were losing, seeing their units breaking (maybe this uncertainty was increased, as the battle was fought in a forest and it looks like a night battle?). The choice over what to do with captured characters is an intriguing addition. Good update!

First let me say I apologize for the lack of commentary in this episode. I was conflicted on whether or not to post this episode but I decided for it because of the awesome battle that takes place. My webcam was recording my voice rather than the Blue Yeti. I already recorded the next episode and my voice is clear! But be sure to watch this one as we expand East! Sun Jian's dynasty is slowly coming to fruition!

This is the episode where we start to expand into new territories. There is a great battle once again in the middle of this part. Sun Jian and his son fight side by side in battle.

I'm still getting the hang of trade and diplomacy. The family tree mechanics I am getting the hang of pretty easily. But I'll say this game has some serious U.I.

When one of your generals is in a duel against a superior opponent, it looks like you have a choice between keeping the general in the duel (useful because the enemy general is tied up for a while), or running (avoiding the risk of your other generals going berserk with grief). That's a dramatic moment at around 15:30, when Sun Jian dismounts and is surrounded by the fallen. Good update!

In both of these episodes there is a lot of world building. Dong Zhou continues to try and make me his vassal through offering me peace treaties. Sun Jian forms a new army to cut through Han forces and expand in southern China while he pursues his enemies to the east. Sun Jian finally creates a trade port that open up trade routes with Cao Cao and many other warlords. The Han empire's influence in the southern and eastern regions of China continues to diminish While Sun Jian forms his empire in the heart of China.

Both episodes are pretty short but the first one has a battle in it in the forest between Sun Jian and the remaining Huang Zu forces. The second episode sees more expansion through delegate battles since my forces are so large.

Enjoy!

In this episode Sun Jian continues to expand east while he sends Yue Xiuting south to conquer and Han and Yellow Turban held regions. She is quite successful while Jian, not so much. In a fierce battle for the Poyang copper mine, Han forces assault Jian's much smaller force. Watch to see who ens up with the copper mine! Cao Cao and Sun Jian continue to build their empire around each others and hope for no aggression to come. Jian must cross into Cao Cao's territory though if he is to defeat Liu Yao.

Let me know what you think in the comments! Summer is finally here!

In this 90 minute episode, Sun Jian foolishly joins a coalition with Dong Zhuo cutting any war he currently has with the Han empire. Many warlords cut trade ties with Sun Jian severely cutting income for the growing empire that is becoming a burden with its upkeep. Kong Rong and Yuan Shao set their eyes on Jian's land due to his coalition with Dong Zhuo. The Han empire takes the Poyang copper mine just before the coalition is formed, will Jian be able to take it back. Sun Jian sails his massive army to Jianye to partake in the first ever SIEGE battle in the series. Watch to find out how this episode ends to see the state of Sun Jian's growing empire.

I very much consider this episode to be the calm before the storm as I have already recorded episode 10 and it is NUTS. This shorter episode sets up so much for episode 10, all out war with Kong Rong while Sun Jian slowly inches his way towards becoming emperor. Sun Jian continues to show his aggression going from ruthless to treacherous in diplomacy and war. Liu Shang is completely wiped off the map, while Jian's southern armies lay their eyes on Shi Jiejin who currently have a trade deal with Sun Jian. A steady peace between Cao Cao and Sun Jian continues as their empires continue to wrap around each other. Sun Jian's western armies begin to push west to engulf the last of the Han empire forces.

Again, check this out as episode 10 has many battles and developments! Thanks for watching!

Cool updates! It's interesting to see your army suffering attrition because they ran out of military supplies, I wonder how you feel about this game mechanic.

Those Yellow Turban rebels near Jianye seem to be very persistent! This looks like a very enjoyable campaign, it sounds like you're going to have a great summer.

This is Sun Jian's episode. Things are slow and Diplomacy fails up until the 20 minutes mark. Sun Jian catches up with the main Tao Ying army near the Guangling Trade Port where a battle ensues and Sun Ce shows his bravery in a duel with Gao Lu. Sun Jian's army is badly damaged after this battle in the wetlands, however, he still has his eyes set on the capital of the region Guangling. Just when the city is about to fall to Sun Jian and his exhausted forces, a fresh army from none other than Kong Rong arrives to assist Tao Ying. Outnumbered by almost 1000, Sun Jian knows if he fails to gain victory against Kong Rong then his invasion further east is over. This time Sun Quan is the son who bravely duels against Zhong Yi.

Further south, Sun Jian's armies begin the siege of Jiaozhi, the capital of the Shi Jeijin homeland. Be sure to watch this epic episode as there are two major battles in it that put Sun Jian to the test!

In this episode, the siege of Shi Jiejin ensues with the people inside the city of Jiaozhi starving. They come out of their city to fight where Yu Xiuting is badly injured in a duel. After fierce fighting outside the city the people of Jiazho offer to let Jian's armies walk in the city gates as long as they give up some money. Sun Jian agrees, however, he continues besieging the city to hold the faction at bay.

Sun Jian's northern armies besiege the final Han forces held up in the city of Badong. When they finally do sally out to meet thei enemy, a fiere battle ensues that ultimately decides the fate of the Han empire in history.

Back down south, Shi Jiejin send reinforcements down to Jiozhi to relieve the siege off the starving city. Jian Shulan's army is already badly damaged, having lost half its forces in the previous, can she hold out to against the onslaught?

Lastly, Sun Jian himself, still busy in the east captures the city Guangling. However, Jian's presence in the region awakens a sleeping giant that his empire is outmatched in every way. Find out who the sleeping giant is in episode 12!

The battles look amazing - simply seeing your cavalry ride through the forest on their way to the second battle at 11:00 is a good moment and it looks like fire arrows or artillery can now set trees on fire.

You mentioned the duel involving Yu Xiuting. It seems that the outcome of duels have a big impact. There are different types of generals, aren't there (Sentinels, Champions and so on)? I wonder if you take these into account when your commanders get into duels - is there a rock, paper, scissors kind of system for the different general types?

Continuing on the quest to destroy Shi Jiejin, the Duchy of Wu meets stack led by Huan Lin at the Yizhou teahouse. Meanwhile, in the north, Sun Jian meet the Duchy of Shu-han outside the city Langye which leads to a costly battle for Sun Jian. To the east, Sun Jian's armies meet forces under the Yello Turban Rebellion at the city of Ba. Bck in the south, Jian Shulan finally reaches the Yizhou tea house only to find a reinforced Shi Jiejin army. Shulan's rmy is already half depleted from the previous engagement. Watch to find out the result!

However, the biggest event to take place during this episode, is that the Kingdom of Wei, Cao Cao, declared war on me...

In this episode Sun Jian has his first true victory on the battlefield against Cao Cao outside the city of Yangzhou. Sun Jian is forced to abandon the province of Guangling. Kong Rong sees the opportunity and the besieges the city. When the assault begins, Kong Rong faces massive resistance from the garrisoned forces there.

Back in the Yangzhou province, Cao Cao returns with a bigger force and an even larger battle ensues between the Duchy of Wu and the Kingdom of Wei. The next episode is the first to be recorded with the blood and gore DLC!

It looks like the Duchy of Wu is having to choose between enough money and enough food, and that it's not yet possible to resolve this through trade agreements. Hopefully Wu's diplomatic reputation will improve in time. I know how easy it is (at least in earlier Total War games) to get a bad diplomatic reputation, such as when an ally attacks another ally.

I enjoyed the battles in the latest episode. At Guangling, I wonder if you wished you had cavalry to charge the rear of the enemy formations attacking the choke points. (When I play Shogun II, I often don't recruit much cavalry because enemy armies seem to have a lot of spearmen, maybe there's a similar issue here). In the final battle, I wonder if any of your cavalry generals could have attacked the enemy archers or crossbowmen - not in the early battle, obviously, with all of cavalry the enemy had, but maybe later on?

It looks like the Duchy of Wu is having to choose between enough money and enough food, and that it's not yet possible to resolve this through trade agreements. Hopefully Wu's diplomatic reputation will improve in time. I know how easy it is (at least in earlier Total War games) to get a bad diplomatic reputation, such as when an ally attacks another ally.

I enjoyed the battles in the latest episode. At Guangling, I wonder if you wished you had cavalry to charge the rear of the enemy formations attacking the choke points. (When I play Shogun II, I often don't recruit much cavalry because enemy armies seem to have a lot of spearmen, maybe there's a similar issue here). In the final battle, I wonder if any of your cavalry generals could have attacked the enemy archers or crossbowmen - not in the early battle, obviously, with all of cavalry the enemy had, but maybe later on?

I am back from vacation and back with more THREE KINGDOMS! A new Let's Play series will follow this week! :smiley: But in this 14th episode, Sun Jian defends against Taishi Ci, a warlord to Cao Cao outside the city if Jiange. Jian's forces are badly damaged and he is forced to retreat. A turn later, Yu Chu attacks Jian's remaining forces. Does Sun Jian and his sons survive? Watch to find out! (Spoiler if you saw my cinematic). In the east, the Siege of Baxi against Liu Zhang begins, while the main Zhang forces begin to invade Sun Jian empire around Zhou Yu. Lastly, Sun Jian finally garners peace with Kong Rong and the Duchy of Song.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast