Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Veterans of TW, are you buying this game?

Lionheart11's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Veterans of TW, are you buying this game?

Rome 2 really hurt the franchise with the steamlining idea.
    "illegitimi non carborundum"

TW RIP

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

I'm glad someone mentioned the Rome 1 TW launch, it took 5 patches and more than half a year until it got relatively decent. M2TW was a smooth launch but RTW was horrendous.

Empire was the worst of the lot in fact, not R2TW.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos Leandros I View Post
    I'm glad someone mentioned the Rome 1 TW launch, it took 5 patches and more than half a year until it got relatively decent. M2TW was a smooth launch but RTW was horrendous.

RTW load save bug where AI break siege after reloading save game. That was fixed only when BI was released iirc. Not help the fact that Activision only allowed 2 patches oer game.

M2TW v1.0 got this bug where AI units line up infront if walls when attacking and not doing anything. Then there was animation bug regarding knights cannot kill peasants/spearmen (or something). Yhere wer eventually fixed though. There was one bug (which I forgot) after the release M2TW Kingdoms which caused outcry from the community. CA finally diverted resources (from CA Aus) to fix the bug when they were actually developing a new game at that time.

During ETW release, the forum was pretty much in havoc. I did not go to ETW section much though since my pc was not good enough for the game and was still busy modding RTW and M2TW.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yerevan View Post
    And the TWC mods trapped in the crossfire.
    Guess why I remember it so vividly...

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Guess why I remember it so vividly...
    My theory was that people were expecting RTW 2.0 but got Rome 2 1.0 instead.

I think the crux of the matter is that we got Rome II 0.4 instead, full of triremes cruising in the middle of deserts and Scythian horsemen dying from starvation somewhere in the Adriatic Sea. This experience probably did not match the expectations created by the "way way better than this" comment. Fortunately, Steam refunding and the disappointing DLC sales convinced Creative Assembly of the perks of a polished release. I'm probably not a veteran (only started with Total War in 2008 with Rome I), but I also consider Three Kingdoms the best Warscape game, much more satisfying than the overrated Fall of the Samurais. Dynastic politics have been implemented very nicely and I hope that CA continues in this direction. What I mainly miss are naval battles (completely unacceptable not to add them again, despite the fact that there is only one culture in the game) and, most importantly, provincial politics. Hopefully, some day they will reintroduce a richer building system, a more realistic settlement population and the dynamic "distance-to-capital" mechanic, but I won't hold my breath.
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; June 07, 2019 at 04:58 AM. Reason: English is not my strength.

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

I have been playing Total War games since the first Shogun and played all the titles. A polished and extremely addictive game, this is the best Total War game.
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

I'm pleasantly surprised to hear good things about it. I'll pick it up down the line on sale with some DLC.

Bran Mac Born's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

I probably will after they full iron all the bugs with patches and when it goes on sale and when there are some unit mods for it. That will take about a year or so. Then I will get to modding the campaign and battle mechanics.

I've been playing TW since Rome 1, and TK is both the best ROTK based game and Total War game IMO.

This is also the first total war I started enjoying at launch.

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos Leandros I View Post

Empire had so many problems at launch, the one i remember is the rank fire being bugged to where it was completely broken or something.
    I remember those days in Rome 1 where my faction leader died of old age after turn 1 lmao
    The many times my faction leaders would get massively negative traits to the point i had to send my faction leader alone into battle to die so that the heir would take over lol.

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Speaking of faction leaders, MTW 1 had this incredibly annoying bug that forced a lot of people to cheat to even finish a game. Faction leaders would be replaced at 56 years old, which meant that if you didn't have your kids turning 16 by then, you were losing the game.

It took a significant amount of time until this was fixed - and until then, we had to use the command .unfreeze. to make babies for our leaders!
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

JackDionne's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by BreadBuax View Post
    This forum has being mostly dead for sometime now, negativity surrounding R2 just about killed it.
    I feel it's because a lot to the people who use this forum are more apt to like historical titles. Warhammer was not my thing and I had no interest in coming on this forum until 3K was announced, I am not going to come here to talk about Warhammer, a game I will never buy! Now I go to the 3K forum everyday.
    3K needs to have an Avatar Campaign!!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234