Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Veterans of TW, are you buying this game?

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: Veterans of TW, are you buying this game?

Quote Originally Posted by JupiterMoneta View Post
    By pressing and holding spacebar on the battlefield, a menu appears on the rightside of the screen where you'll be able to adjust it to your tastes.
    Now that is a neat feature indeed, thanks for letting us know.

I've been playing TW since the original Shogun. My favorite previous TW experience was probably modded Medieval 2 (Stainless Steel, DarthMod). I started to fall off a bit with some of the recent titles; despite being a lifelong Warhammer fan I didn't really enjoy the arcadey nature of TW:WH/WH2 combat. Also, I moved over to gaming on Linux almost exclusively and I'm somewhat picky about what I buy on Steam unless its deeply discounted. And the Warhammer games seemed very poorly optimized too....

I've always had an interest in the Three Kingdoms period. I used to play the Koei Romance of the Three Kingdoms games. So a game with Total War tactical combat and RoTK strategic depth seemed like a match made in heaven. Combine those with Day 1 Linux support? Hell yeah I bought it. So far I'm very impressed with the game's polish and attention to detail. I like the strategic-level gameplay. The battles are still too arcadey for my tastes but I know modders can fix that. Overall I'm surprisingly satisfied with my purchase.

Note: I play single-player exclusively. The only games I play multiplayer are FPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Noble713 View Post
    I've been playing TW since the original Shogun. My favorite previous TW experience was probably modded Medieval 2 (Stainless Steel, DarthMod). I started to fall off a bit with some of the recent titles; despite being a lifelong Warhammer fan I didn't really enjoy the arcadey nature of TW:WH/WH2 combat. Also, I moved over to gaming on Linux almost exclusively and I'm somewhat picky about what I buy on Steam unless its deeply discounted. And the Warhammer games seemed very poorly optimized too....

I've always had an interest in the Three Kingdoms period. I used to play the Koei Romance of the Three Kingdoms games. So a game with Total War tactical combat and RoTK strategic depth seemed like a match made in heaven. Combine those with Day 1 Linux support? Hell yeah I bought it. So far I'm very impressed with the game's polish and attention to detail. I like the strategic-level gameplay. The battles are still too arcadey for my tastes but I know modders can fix that. Overall I'm surprisingly satisfied with my purchase.

Note: I play single-player exclusively. The only games I play multiplayer are FPS.
    Can you elaborate on what you mean by "attention to detail"?

I hope you don't mind details like actual historical weapons, clothes, culture, social norms and such because those are total crapshoots in this game, from what I have watched on Youtube.

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

By pressing and holding spacebar on the battlefield, a menu appears on the rightside of the screen where you'll be able to adjust it to your tastes.
    Ohhh shiny! Thanks!
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Krieglord's Avatar Primicerius

I ended up purchasing it due to the discount on another website that also came with The Yellow Turban DLC.. So far I am enjoying the campaign though my laptop seems to have an on/off relationship with it, my recommended settings are ultra but even playing with everything scaled downed to high or medium many times "large battles" will crash right as the loading bar finishes, no warning memory low pop-up either, part of that issue may be due to me using my television as a monitor.

The tech tree is probably my favourite of the franchise though I wish it would give us the option to zoom in a bit, gets kind of cluttered, otherwise unless I am missing something I wish they kept in pressing N for a cinematic view in battles as this is the most cinematic game since Shogun 2, I got really nostalgic when I first saw the tunneling option since that was last seen in Rome 1 but was disappointed you only get a bit of wall destroyed pre-battle instead of actually getting to use them on your own accord.

Also be nice if we got a real sandbox mode instead of just records with none of the overarching power dynamics, or at least don't have them be forced on you like realm divide in Shogun 2, at the same time if you rule a 1 city kingdom and want to declare yourself King or Emperor that should be upto you outside of Romance mode, maybe lock it behind getting to an Imperial City or certain prestige then give us the option to declare it.

Another nice addition to records mode would be to see a turns per season slider option, I am sure in a few months mods will be available but you would think after all this time CA might not want to go The Bethesda route of relying so heavily on modders and just implement some of these systems themselves, a simple or old school interface vs romance/fancier option, turn on and off weather effects for battles, simple advice etc/picture vs General talking loading screens, an option to skip the opening video to name a few.

Also - if you switch most things off via that menu - you can get a more cinematic appearance without having to go totally into cinematic mode, but then hold the spacebar down again to get the unit icons and info to pop up only whilst its held down, which helps if you're struggling to find info on the battlefield.

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

I also purchased the Collectors Edition just now for myself, should be interesting.

https://store.totalwar.com/threekingdoms-ce/eu
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

pajomife's Avatar Protector Domesticus

If the game captivated the TWC veterans why there is so few activity here in the forum? When Rome 2 was realesed , the forum was boiling with comments and new posts every minute, now it's almost dead. I guess that 80 % of the game sales are Chinese.
    Last edited by pajomife; June 03, 2019 at 02:41 AM.

This forum has being mostly dead for sometime now, negativity surrounding R2 just about killed it.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

That pandemonium of acidity as well as the immature fan boys vs haters battles didn't help one bit.

The relative absence of it in what discussions are here following this release is actually utterly surprising. I am starting to think that CA might have learned from prior disasters?
    Last edited by Gigantus; June 03, 2019 at 04:28 AM.

The relative absence of it in what discussions are here following this release is actually utterly surprising. I am starting to think that CA might have learned from prior disasters?
    Although I wasn't active on TWC during the Rome 2 launch, I suspect it has more to do with the members getting older and maturing.
    If I look at the dumpster fires on the Steam forum, Total War forum and Reddit, there is still plenty of room for people to put their heels in the sand and scream on the top of their lungs. Has CA learned from previous disasters?

Well, with Rome 2 they messed up as much as they possibly could, so when you reach rock-bottom the only way is up I guess, and sales of Thrones of Brittania have been dreadful enough to wake up Sega, listen for once to community feedback on pre-launch videos and give CA until Q2 to finalise and polish the game.

Will this be a sign of things in the future? CA/Sega doesn't have the best reputation and track record on this, but I really do hope the record sales of 3K have motivated Sega to change their ways

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Months after release, no sooner. I do not believe in buying a beta, which is what most modern game releases end up being, that or simply unpolished releases. I buy a game when it is a fully fledged game with stability in mechanics, and when I have enough data to decide if it's worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by pajomife View Post
    If the game captivated the TWC veterans why there is so few activity here in the forum? When Rome 2 was realesed , the forum was boiling with comments and new posts every minute, now it's almost dead. I guess that 80 % of the game sales are Chinese.
    This forum does not and cannot currently represent the majority of total war players and even veterans in the sense of those who have stuck around for a long time in the warscape era. I assure you, activity here reflects more on the state of TWC than the state of Three Kingdoms launching.

I bought it and im not regretting the decision. Naturally i play in records mode, and I must say that its one of the best vanila TW games that was ever made. Its not perfect but its better than previous TW games - even FOTS which to this date was my favourite.
    War is Hell, and I'm the Devil!

Incendio's Avatar Semisalis

In my case, no. I am not a veteran, I mostly focus on Empire and Napoleon Total War because those are my favourite historical periods. The reason is that I dislike the effects of Three Kingdoms (those blue arrows...) + I don't have enough computer to play this game.

Sorry for the offtopic, my apologizes in advance, but if someone knows "Oriental Empires" (an older game based in China if I remember correctly) I would appreciate opinions about it. I can run it

Quote Originally Posted by Incendio View Post
    In my case, no. I am not a veteran, I mostly focus on Empire and Napoleon Total War because those are my favourite historical periods. The reason is that I dislike the effects of Three Kingdoms (those blue arrows...) + I don't have enough computer to play this game.

Sorry for the offtopic, my apologizes in advance, but if someone knows "Oriental Empires" (an older game based in China if I remember correctly) I would appreciate opinions about it. I can run it
    Oriental Empires isn't being truthful about its computer spec requirements. You'll be able to "run" it, certainly. Once you get to endgame, the game will slow to a crawl and this will cause control issues and a lot of frustration.

It's certainly an interesting game. It plays like a period specific version of civilization, with a lot more economic micromanagment and a focus on infrastructure. Warfare is somewhat unique with the simultaneous turns idea, but also kind of a mess, as units behave bizarrely and it's usually impossible to tell how any battle more complicated than smashing two stacks on each other will play out due to pathing and balance issues.
    My Three Kingdoms Military History Blog / Military Map Project - https://zirroxas.tumblr.com/
    Ask me a question!

Yerevan's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by BreadBuax View Post
    This forum has being mostly dead for sometime now, negativity surrounding R2 just about killed it.
    The modding sections remained quite active (especially M2TW's). STeam workshop probably played an even role in depopulating the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    That pandemonium of acidity as well as the immature fan boys vs haters battles didn't help one bit.
    And the TWC mods trapped in the crossfire.
    " Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! "

Incendio's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by zoner16 View Post
    Oriental Empires isn't being truthful about its computer spec requirements. You'll be able to "run" it, certainly. Once you get to endgame, the game will slow to a crawl and this will cause control issues and a lot of frustration.

It's certainly an interesting game. It plays like a period specific version of civilization, with a lot more economic micromanagment and a focus on infrastructure. Warfare is somewhat unique with the simultaneous turns idea, but also kind of a mess, as units behave bizarrely and it's usually impossible to tell how any battle more complicated than smashing two stacks on each other will play out due to pathing and balance issues.
    Didn't know that there will be a DLC about Three Kingdoms and will be released this summer. Check this link:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1...hree_Kingdoms/

La♔De♔Da♔Brigadier Graham's Avatar Artifex♔Duffer♔Civitate
    The Den,with a massive pair of binoculars, surveying TWC, ensuring members are laughing & happy!

Three Kingdoms really wasnt an era on my radar, 17th -19th is my period of interest, however I find myself totally engrossed in this game at the moment, and I am learning about the Three Kingdoms epic story....added to the fact that multiplayer is now fixed, I'm sure I will continue to enjoy this game and by extension keep "harping on" about how good it is.
    and all that.

"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained Dufferism"

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post

This is just my personal experience, and I was just a child when Rome 1 and Medieval 2 and the games before came out so I can't speak for those launches, but to my memory at least this is without a doubt the best TW launch CA has done. There are basically no major problems with it, the most annoying thing being a bug where one faction got a bit overzealous with vassalizing other factions but that only happens sometimes and can still be dealt with. Otherwise there really isn't much to complain about unless you are basically looking for issues. So as long as you avoid the steam forums I'd say most discussion sites are pretty positive about the game.

Default Re: [Submod] Cultural Tensio

Although I wasn't active on TWC during the Rome 2 launch, I suspect it has more to do with the members getting older and maturing.
    If I look at the dumpster fires on the Steam forum, Total War forum and Reddit, there is still plenty of room for people to put their heels in the sand and scream on the top of their lungs. Has CA learned from previous disasters?

Well, with Rome 2 they messed up as much as they possibly could, so when you reach rock-bottom the only way is up I guess, and sales of Thrones of Brittania have been dreadful enough to wake up Sega, listen for once to community feedback on pre-launch videos and give CA until Q2 to finalise and polish the game.

Will this be a sign of things in the future? CA/Sega doesn't have the best reputation and track record on this, but I really do hope the record sales of 3K have motivated Sega to change their ways
    I was 19 when joined this forum back in 2004 during Rome 1 era, now i'm 33 so yeah we've gotten older. I was an active user from like 2004 to about 2010 i think but i'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by AHumpierRogue View Post
    This is just my personal experience, and I was just a child when Rome 1 and Medieval 2 and the games before came out so I can't speak for those launches, but to my memory at least this is without a doubt the best TW launch CA has done. There are basically no major problems with it, the most annoying thing being a bug where one faction got a bit overzealous with vassalizing other factions but that only happens sometimes and can still be dealt with. Otherwise there really isn't much to complain about unless you are basically looking for issues. So as long as you avoid the steam forums I'd say most discussion sites are pretty positive about the game.
    The first Rome game in 2004 was a so so launch, the game had so many crash to desktop campaign bugs that made campaigns unplayable after a certain amount of turns, i honestly was never able to finish a campaign in it because after a certain amount of turns it was such a horrible lag fest & bugs would have been generated into the campaign by then that it'd fail to load or crash on next turn. Even when i had a newer computer in 2009 & tried Rome 1 again it still had those problems.
    So i would just start alot of campaigns. Realism mods were great in terms of making the game look beautiful but they slowed the combat to a snail pace with 2 units of swordsmen taking 30 minutes to destroy each other so i always had to change unit stats when i used RTR mod so that the battles didn't take 3 hours.

At least to me the original Rome 1 was a worse launch than Rome 2, i never had the game breaking bugs on Rome 2 despite me using only a GTX 750 2GB video card FX 8320 CPU at the time and patches only made the game even better as it continued to improve.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; June 05, 2019 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Merged posts.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast