Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Improvements to the game?

La♔De♔Da♔Brigadier Graham's Avatar Artifex♔Duffer♔Civitate
    The Den,with a massive pair of binoculars, surveying TWC, ensuring members are laughing & happy!

Default Improvements to the game?

As per the title, I am pretty happy the way this game has turned out, although I expect there are members who would like certain aspect "improved"
    Someone mentioned Forced march move and chasing stacks all over the campaign map?
    Another has mentioned the U.I. being "cluttered?

What "improvements would you suggest?

Please keep this thread civil.
    brig

"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained Dufferism"

dom385's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Improvements to the game?

Massively reduce the effectiveness of arrow towers! I don't know how they made it so far in their current state, its ridiculous. I just fought a quick battle to capture a minor settlement and they inflicted 1000 casualties, the actual garrison only managed about 300 kills.

mods are already out to nerf the towers

Mwulf's Avatar Civis

Auto-resolving combat needs some serious reworking. I'd recommend disregarding the automatic garrisons for cities that have an army stationed in them, otherwise the garrison's added numerical value will *always* result in an auto-resolved defeat unless you've got 2 armies stationed together.

I'm also very disappointed in the premise of the game. Ideally, the game should begin with all of the major factions being allied with each other, and at war with Dong Zhuo. The Yellow Turbans should not be a faction on the map at all, nor should the Han Empire--Dong Zhuo's faction *is* the Han Empire... that's kind of the whole reason the three kingdoms era started to be begin with. EG, each major faction should have an army stationed near Luoyang, and either after a set number of turns, Dong Zhuo is murdered, or you defeat him in battle, and the big coalition against Dong Zhuo collapses. The "Han" faction should be renamed to something neutral/generic, like "neutral states," because it's basically only a seperate faction to fill up space on the map.

The other major change the game (desperate) needs are unique, high-contrast faction colors. Why is everyone a different shade of brown? In my game as Cao Cao, the Han are red, Yuan Shu is pale blue, and everyone else is a different shade of brown. At the very least, the main factions (Cao Wei, Sun Wu, and Shu) should all be bright, primary colors. Save the generic, boring, mud-colors for the minor factions like Zhong Rong or Liu Bian.
    "What is the most cowardly and shameful thing in human conduct? It's when people with power, and those who flatter them, hide in safe places and extol war--people who force patriotism and self-sacrifice on others, sending them to the battlefield to die. For the sake of peace in the universe, before we continue this fruitless war... mustn't we first start by exterminating such evil parasites?"
    -Yang Wen-Li

Lord Dakier's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Arrow towers are currently like machine gun turrets and need their fire rate literally halved.
    Archers need nerfing, they're too powerful I feel. Maybe late game this isn't as much of an issue.
    Champions and Sentinels need their units swapped around. Sentinels are defensive and should have defensive school of units and vice-versa for champions.
    We Came, We Saw, We Ran Away!

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Towers and change to force march, that armies in such stance cannot withdraw. Same rule was in Wh(s) and it was doing pretty well. :-) That´s all so far..
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Miles

They need to rework some of the followers so that their bonus is not just for the prime minister (that you unlock at King rank), faction leader and heir, but for the council positions as well. Otherwise they are quite useless if you can only get the bonus on three positions.

They also need to rework the marriage system and introduce some kind of generic spouses who are not generals.
    Last edited by wis; May 27, 2019 at 04:31 PM.

Lord Dakier's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by wis View Post
    They also need to rework the marriage system and introduce some kind of generic spouses who are not generals.
    I think just the option to arrange marriage: random courtier would suffice.
    We Came, We Saw, We Ran Away!

I'll leave off things that will probably be DLC, like more historical officers, map expansions, and other factions, especially those of non-Han cultures. This will be mostly changes, rather than additions:

1. You should not be allowed to retreat if attacked in March stance. Perhaps go even further and force an ambush battle if that happens. This will greatly reduce the frustration of having multiple depleted stacks running around your interior, causing a mess for public order, but not being able to do anything about it.
    2. Remove the strategist requirement for unit formations. They should be unlocked by having high enough level commanders who would have the experience and acumen to drill their troops. The kinds of formations that strategists might be required for are army and army group level formations, not regimental ones.
    3. Create more non-council bureaucratic positions. Have them unlocked with reforms or noble rank, but let people who are just out on assignment all the time have a day job too to relieve the pressure on their satisfaction.
    4. Change the population public order debuff to only apply if the commandery in question is over capacity.
    5. Either decrease stamina loss rate from fighting in Records mode or increase its regeneration rate. As it stands, you can't really cycle units because units in combat lose stamina way faster than units out of combat regain it.
    6. Let me open the character panel for the administrator of a commandery from the commandery info bar.
    7. Create a better way of viewing the details of all the characters in your faction other than the tiny scroll panel on the side. Perhaps another panel in the court/family screen.
    8. Give access to more non-militia units outside a general's class after reforms. Honestly, the rules for regular non-militia units and the elite dragon units should be switched. It's bizarre that a character who has been fighting as a general with distinction for years can't train regular Ji Infantry and yet can somehow train "Azure Dragons."
    9. Make attacking a moving target better. It takes forever to run down routing units because the attack rate is so slow if the target is moving, even if the units that is chasing them is literally on top of them.
    10. Give repeating crossbows poisoned bolts. It's the only way to make them viable.
    My Three Kingdoms Military History Blog / Military Map Project - https://zirroxas.tumblr.com/
    Ask me a question!

I agree with most of improvements mentioned above.

I found an option to marry a character to a courtier, it just takes a lot of money. I forgot how you get there, I can check when I come back from work (yes, I'm working and thinking about R3K!).

Archers should definitely be nerfed, as they murder any unit they come across. The ideal way to do it would be to increase the effectiveness of shields and heavy armor against archers, as I don't feel shields make enough of a difference now (difference is whether the unit gets killed in 10s or 14s).

I had a battle in the snow (-25% movement for light units), and the pace in that one felt just right. I wish everything would be a little slower like this, even though the movement and melee combat aren't as frantic as I was afraid they would be (Thrones and Atilla are way faster, I think).
    Last edited by Odinarius; May 28, 2019 at 06:11 AM.

I think that main improvement may be to put some more factions in South.
    Zheng jiang ( women thieve ) was previously intended to start in South .
    And at least one more one is desirable since sun jian is abble to counstruct an INCREDIBLE BIG state
    in te beginng of the game and comparativly to what happen in north he have a good life to preserve it.

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    took an arrow to the knee

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

That is my observation, too. Sun Jian can easily take most of what is south of the Jangtse. Shao Yuan is powerful as well with his army of vassals north of the Huang He, but when it comes down to it, a unified empire is way more powerful than vassals likely to rebel when things go downhill. So some more players on the southern battlefields would be cool.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

1) Expand the map and add more factions (especially to populate the empty southern lands). Gongsun Zan needs to be fighting nomadic kingdoms in the north. The Sun clan needs to be fighting the various nations of Yue and the proto-Sino-Viet peoples. Gongsun Du needs to have his territory expanded into North Korea and fight the proto-Korean kingdoms. Li Bei needs to be fighting the tribes in the jungles and mountains of southwest China and Sichuan basin.

2) Add unit diversity by adding more historically accurate units with historical weapons and armor (no more elite units without armor wearing nothing but robes please). Add pike units and long halberds in pike formation for armies in the north. Heavy draw crossbowmen that require a back-draw technique and act like slow firing muskets in MTW2. Pike + crossbow units with pikes crouched in front of standing crossbowmen firing over them. Heavily armored assault infantry with long two handed swords. Crossbow cavalry. Siege crossbows and artillery crossbows trapped to chariots. Heavier lancer-horse archer hybrid cavalry. Units with self bows in the south. Jungle barbarian troops with various weapons. Elephants. Etc

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Empty south is pointing at future content so I would just wait with this point. :-)
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Razor's Avatar Licenced to insult

Quote Originally Posted by Daruwind View Post
    Empty south is pointing at future content so I would just wait with this point. :-)
    But it's still a valid point nonetheless.

Historically accurate FOOD ICONS!!11!
    Rice is neither sparkly white nor is it commonly grown back then, the five common grain consumed are variants of millets, wheat and legume, all of them is yellow. Literally UNPLAYABLE!1

Some actual points:

-Walls are way too weak and barely act as a defence against trebuchets or climbers
    -Only thing that makes sieges hard are the OP towers
    -Siege defence Ai is baaad
    -Ranged units are pretty Op, they all have a ridiculous firing arc that allow them to fire over friendlies with impunity
    -Unit formations are too restrictive, even lv1 strategist should enable them, a good compensation for ranged units nerf as well
    -Utterly non sensical and unbalanced units
    >Fatigue immune cavalry
    >Pearl Dragon: Jedi masters that has 65% missile block despite having no shield or armour, good against both infantry and reflect cav charges. This unit just tick every single unauthentic and unbalanced gameplay box
    >Dude on horse with small round shield: 65% missile block, dude on foot holding a door: 50% missile block

These are just the obvious ones

1. Give repeating crossbows poisoned bolts. It's the only way to make them viable.

The way TW handles poison is godawful, poison in the game ignores armour while a single bolt could poison an entire unit, the effect itself should be scrapped and represented with a simple damage buff.
    From I can tell repeating crossbows give any units under fire a heavy stats debuff, which is really neat, a weaker version could be extended to all ranged units so that they could support melee troops better instead of killing everything on their own.

But needless to say it also suffers from armour ignore and one bolt debuffing an entire unit syndrome.
    Last edited by La♔De♔Da♔Brigadier Graham; May 28, 2019 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Merged posts

Nanman dlc i bet

Counties and cities given actual names instead of Commendary name+resource.
    I’m sure that the Heroic Victory of Yunnan Livestock farm or the Battle for Kuaiji lumberyard or the Battle of Jiaozhi Rice Farm are very immersive and memorable. Battle of Marathon? No! Battle of Hella fishing port! Battle of Cannae? Do you mean the Battle of Italia Vineyard? Siege of Carthage? Nope, it’s the siege of Africa city silly!

Thankfully, pfm suggests the names to be easily modable.

Anyone else is having the problem of unable to skip putting points into tech trees to end turns?
    Reg: They've taken everything we had and what have they ever given us in return!?
    Xerxes: The aqueduct. Reg: Oh yeah, yeah they gave us that. Yeah that's true.
    Activist 1: And the sanitation!
    Stan: Oh yes...sanitation, Reg you remember what the city used to be like.
    Reg: all right, that's two things that the Romans have done...
    Matthias: And the roads...
    Reg: Well yes obviously the roads goes without saying. But apart from...
    Activist 2, 3, 4, 5: Irrigation...Medicine...Education...and the wine...
    Francis: Yeah the wine. That's something we'd really miss if the Romans left.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

The thing about forced march is it isn't, it's called march. I think the best way to handle this is to continue to allow the army in march stance to retreat, but make it a shorter distance than currently, and, if engaged, receive a morale debuff in battle which rises for each consecutive time they retreat.

Quote Originally Posted by zoner16 View Post
    1. Let me open the character panel for the administrator of a commandery from the commandery info bar.
    Please!
    Last edited by Huberto; May 29, 2019 at 06:04 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast