Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Improvements to the game?

Default Re: Improvements to the game?

+ 1 for more character varieties.
    Also, the current game lacks character development for none-family members. The sons and daughters of famous generals are not represented. For instance, Guan Ping, the son of Guan Yu, was a notable character in the novel and his not present here.
    I have very high anticipation from the modding community to prefect the game further, especially from the Chinese modding communes.
    Reg: They've taken everything we had and what have they ever given us in return!?
    Xerxes: The aqueduct. Reg: Oh yeah, yeah they gave us that. Yeah that's true.
    Activist 1: And the sanitation!
    Stan: Oh yes...sanitation, Reg you remember what the city used to be like.
    Reg: all right, that's two things that the Romans have done...
    Matthias: And the roads...
    Reg: Well yes obviously the roads goes without saying. But apart from...
    Activist 2, 3, 4, 5: Irrigation...Medicine...Education...and the wine...
    Francis: Yeah the wine. That's something we'd really miss if the Romans left.

Seether's Avatar RoTK Workhorse

I agree with including non-family children, but only if they were born by the start date of the game. But Guan Ping is probably a bad example to use, for a few reasons. First he wasn't really a notable character in either the novel or history. We also don't know when he was born. In the novel he was adopted by Guan Yu, but historically he was his eldest natural child - so Romance and Records modes would need to address this differently. Then you have Guan Xing and Zhang Bao, both of whom are fierce warriors and commanders in the novel, but not so much in history (both were a civil officials, with no military record, who died very young). Then we have Guan Suo who, while mentioned in the novel for his martial prowess, does not exist in the historical records. So Romance and Records mode would need to be different, as far as what children get added and how, and what type of character they are.
    Member of the Imperial House of Hader - Under the Benevolent Patronage of y2day
    A Wolf Among Sheep: A Rise of Three Kingdoms AAR

I do not think a character should be able to be a commandry administrator and a general of an army at the same time. How can that person be an effective administrator if he/she is in a far off land fighting all the time?

At the very least the adminstrator bonuses should be turned off when in an army and reinstated once you have been recalled. Or you could say that as the army with the character is within commandry city limits, then the bonuses apply but outside of that, they are turned off.

It would make for more strategic gameplay and tough decisions. Right now i am not forced into making tough decisions.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by makanyane View Post
    The view of the folder for the 'wood' characters shows what the problem is

all the character schemes are based on the same sort of mix and match of face into uniform, which is fair enough, but because that position is so extreme and the amount of face showing so limited, that one really doesn't work well!
    What are the instructions into extracting those texture files?

Icon3 Re: Improvements to the game?

Why Ranked multiplayer needs key buildings and victory timers:

Currently there are no objectives in the Ranked multiplayer battles other then to rout the enemy army and generals. This requires both players in each battle to chose to attack, or just one player to attack and the other one defend. But what happens if both players chose to do nothing?

This happens:
    https://youtu.be/3OL_-Hcvd_Y (no need to embed)

This also happened in Shogun 2 back in 2011. But back then after player feedback and improvements to the multiplayer, Creative Assembly added key buildings to each map. Capturing and holding a key building, having a unit inside of it's radius, gave the army that captured it different bonuses to melee attack, defence, morale, stamina, speed etc. On top of that, capturing two of the three buildings started a WIN clock for the player who had two key buildings under his control.

This effectively removed all problems with players who's tactics revolved about red corner camping, artillery camping in Land battles, or other tactics that led to the battles being bore fests of waiting for the battle clock to run out. Many players even simply ignored the key buildings and just fought out battles, as they simply knew that they had to fight or they would lose the battle do to inactivity and letting the other player capture the buildings starting the WIN timer.

I understand that Shogun 2 had a limited pool of maps for multiplayers, making key buildings placement easier then with the system of choosing any place on the map to fight out a battle. But this is something that the developers at CA have to find a way how to solve.

Also, the bonuses of key buildings could be removed this time around, but leaving the WIN timer on once a players has control over two of the buildings.

I hope that there are other players who see this problem and would support this request. You can add your support over at the topic in the official forums: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussi...again/p1?new=1
    With Total war since original Shogun, made my life better!
    My videos about Total War on YouTube :
    https://www.youtube.com/user/perafilozof

Hi all, first post here. Been lurking for years in the Stainless Steel section.

Some of my thoughts on fixes:

1) Archers are total .

2) As previously mentioned, the fact that champions are the only ones who can recruit spearment, and sentinels are the only ones who can recruit axes, is very odd; especially when the characters reach high levels. It doesn't make much sense that level 8 heroes can't recruit some spearmen.

3) chasing enemies around your territory is so annoying. Forced march is in need of some fixes, they should not be allowed full movement points (or close to it) after they retreated from a battle during your turn.

4) I have no idea why, but in every campaign I've had, Liu Bei and Wu have had huge territories. Wu is essentially unchallenged south of the river, which is dumb. I have no idea how, when I'm playing as Ma Chao, Liu Bei made it all the way up to Shuofang to annex a Han Empire horse pasture. Also, how is the computer able to field 5 or 6 different full-stack armies, when the player can barely do 3 in the early-mid game?

5) "Han Empire" should probably just be merged with Dong Zhuo, and should function like Western Rome did in Rome 1 (i.e. they have lots of territory but they're bankrupt and everyone hates them).

6) I think it's very strange when you capture an imperial city and your food supply drops automatically. I captured an Imperial city Northwest of Ma Tengs starting area (can't remember the warlords name). The city had 1.4 million out of 8 million people, and yet my food supply went from +15 to -10 or something similar. The food consumption should be based on actual population, rather than wall size.

7) The autoresolve odds are often terrible, as having more troops seems to be far more important than troop quality. Of course, this also works in your favor.

8) playing romance as a faction other than Cao Cao, Sun Jian, Liu Bei, Yuan Shao, or maybe Ma Teng is dumb. Having more legendary heroes is so crucial.

9) The dueling mechanic also seems to be broken.

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Archers are really powerful in this game - and extremely weak to defend as well.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

A few more things that I thought of:

1) Many characters who are clearly meant to be legendary look totally ordinary (I'm looking at you, Pang De/Dong Min/Yan Liang). This is probably one of the things that CA is most likely to fix so it's whatever for now.

2) Some "upgraded" units are actually not significant improvements over their predecessor units. I'm specifically thinking of Fury of Behai and Thunder of Jian'an- the differences between the two are minor (I think it's just melee attack and morale) yet Thunder of Jian'an costs 1700 gold more.

3) The AI's negotiating can be extremely weird. Liu Bei pays huge amounts of money for mostly useless "wooden fish" items. I've won about 10 battles in a row vs Wu, yet the empress/regent keeps demanding that I be her vassal and giving territory in exchange for peace. Nope.

4) Someone mentioned it in the other thread, but the amount of female generals probably -is- too high. Right now 60% of faction leaders in my campaign are women, which is definitely a-historical. I'm not saying remove female warriors from the game, but their advancement in court and... spawn percentage? are quite high.

5) many of the advisors only give benefits to faction leader, faction heir, and prime minister, which is a little silly. It makes most of the copper and silver level ones useless.

6) Spies feel.... not very useful. They often switch sides, especially when infiltrating a big faction. Or they fail to infiltrate altogether. -And- you have to give up a potential character in order to spy on people.

La♔De♔Da♔Brigadier Graham's Avatar Artifex♔Duffer♔Civitate
    Patrician Citizen

The Den,with a massive pair of binoculars, surveying TWC, ensuring members are laughing & happy!

Quote Originally Posted by Scanman View Post

1) Many characters who are clearly meant to be legendary look totally ordinary (I'm looking at you, Pang De/Dong Min/Yan Liang). This is probably one of the things that CA is most likely to fix so it's whatever for now.

2) Some "upgraded" units are actually not significant improvements over their predecessor units. I'm specifically thinking of Fury of Behai and Thunder of Jian'an- the differences between the two are minor (I think it's just melee attack and morale) yet Thunder of Jian'an costs 1700 gold more.

3) The AI's negotiating can be extremely weird. Liu Bei pays huge amounts of money for mostly useless "wooden fish" items. I've won about 10 battles in a row vs Wu, yet the empress/regent keeps demanding that I be her vassal and giving territory in exchange for peace. Nope.

4) Someone mentioned it in the other thread, but the amount of female generals probably -is- too high. Right now 60% of faction leaders in my campaign are women, which is definitely a-historical. I'm not saying remove female warriors from the game, but their advancement in court and... spawn percentage? are quite high.

5) many of the advisors only give benefits to faction leader, faction heir, and prime minister, which is a little silly. It makes most of the copper and silver level ones useless.

6) Spies feel.... not very useful. They often switch sides, especially when infiltrating a big faction. Or they fail to infiltrate altogether. -And- you have to give up a potential character in order to spy on people.
    Welcome to these forums sir, your comments are certainly valid, thanks for posting and enjoy your stay here eh?

"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained Dufferism"

Don't forget those generals are needed to marry, and that the game includes the role of women behind the scenes of the novel Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Without those women, marriage will be evenharder than it already is.

And to add to your second point: This evening, I also found out that there really isn't any realistic use for a lot of those ultimate units in Singleplayer. Let us take Jade Dragons vs Lance Cavalry for example. Jade Dragons' only real advantage is the 60% ranged block chance, but costs a whopping 5400 with a 315 upkeep per turn. To put that into perspective, you can buy over 3 Lance Cavalry, 3 Sabre Cavalry (with higher missile block chance) or a full lower tier army with superior generals for that money. The upkeep holds true with similar stats, with that single unit upkeep being enough for several Lance and Sabre Cavalry, or a general with basic militia retinue.

The only reason I can think of to use Jade Dragons in singleplayer is if you already have maxxed out the number of armies and still have the economy to sustain replacing regular shock cav with Jade Dragons. Yet by the time you are so dominant, you are already steamrolling and any upgrade is worthless!

It is good to see CA stepping off from the Attila problem where Tier 2 units were often superior to higher tiers, but with the current system end-game units are just as worthless as they were in Attila since there is no reason to have them.

Update:

I also think trebuchets with exploding ammunition are really, really, good. Possibly overpowered. They are extremely accurate compared to, say, Medieval 2 artillery and cause much more damage. I was able to beat 2 2000 troop armies with my 800 troop army. The accuracy of the trebuchet astounding, just like the accuracy of basically all missile units in the game.

Couple this with the fact that cavalry is difficult to use in the South (jungle) and the ability to assault cities immediately, making them extra useful.

Also... did they even have trebuchets and exploding shells this far back?

Of course, I'm abusing the crap out of it since the AI cheats with 5 death balls of armies roaming around their and my territory. I hate how much the AI cheats with army upkeep.

^Fairly positive they did not have counterweight trebs in this time period. But I'm pretty sure they had something along those lines but muuuuch less effective.

I'm actually working on a mod to address this, however it's a pretty massive undertaking and it will probably take a while before I am somewhat pleased with the balance.

I could upload a version within a few days as a work in progress, as feedback from multiple people would really help with that.

That would ofcourse mean the testers would have to play potentially unbalanced versions of the game for a while to come, and I'm not sure with the current low activity on the modding forum that there would be many people willing to do so.
    Last edited by Leonardo; June 14, 2019 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Quoted post corrected.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

This is something I have tried to do even back in RTW days. Is there a possibility now to make trabuchets available only when sieging? Maybe something via scripting?

When I envision is still need a Strategist with 1 or 2 empty slot in their retinue and have the option to recruit trabuchet when sieging. May need to make at least 2 turns to assemble.

Another option, though may need ui/ux mod is to have trabuchets appear as siege equipment option. Make it only available if there's space on Strategist retinue.

What do people think of the Azure Dragon (I think, the ones with the polearm and the bow) unit?

I think they are definitely one of the best units (makes sense, since they're at the end of the tech tree) as they're good against basically all unit types and have a missile attack, which is extremely good in this game. They have a spear wall ability as well, and I don't think it requires a champion to use it.

They are quite expensive, but not moreso than defenders of heaven, and they have a missile attack too.

Their only real weakness is enemy archers, but that's true of basically every unit in the game.

I think they're much better than the other dragon units, especially the purple/red/yellow dragons (can't remember the metals to save my life).

Also, what is the purpose of yellow units? 2 of the units are sabre horses, but the final unit (which requires a huuuuuuuuge investment in the yellow branch) is axe infantry? It's very confusing. This is the exact reason I tend to avoid using commanders. They ride a horse, but it says they're poor in melee. I usually use them to administer settlements, and mostly ignore the yellow tech tree (I'm playing Ma Teng right now and public order/corruption don't seem to be a problem).

I'm wondering if a re-think of the tech tree is necessary, because Green and (in Ma Teng's case) Red definitely seem the most important. Blue and purple are tied for 3rd, yellow is last.

Once again, I think imperial cities are whack. I would rather just leave it as a large regional city than take the massive hit to food supply, seeing as you get basically nothing for having the imperial city.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

What do people think of the Azure Dragon (I think, the ones with the polearm and the bow) unit?

I think they are definitely one of the best units (makes sense, since they're at the end of the tech tree) as they're good against basically all unit types and have a missile attack, which is extremely good in this game. They have a spear wall ability as well, and I don't think it requires a champion to use it.

They are quite expensive, but not moreso than defenders of heaven, and they have a missile attack too.

Their only real weakness is enemy archers, but that's true of basically every unit in the game.

I think they're much better than the other dragon units, especially the purple/red/yellow dragons (can't remember the metals to save my life).

Also, what is the purpose of yellow units? 2 of the units are sabre horses, but the final unit (which requires a huuuuuuuuge investment in the yellow branch) is axe infantry? It's very confusing. This is the exact reason I tend to avoid using commanders. They ride a horse, but it says they're poor in melee. I usually use them to administer settlements, and mostly ignore the yellow tech tree (I'm playing Ma Teng right now and public order/corruption don't seem to be a problem).

I'm wondering if a re-think of the tech tree is necessary, because Green and (in Ma Teng's case) Red definitely seem the most important. Blue and purple are tied for 3rd, yellow is last.

Once again, I think imperial cities are whack. I would rather just leave it as a large regional city than take the massive hit to food supply, seeing as you get basically nothing for having the imperial city.
    I keep my settlements at city levels except the capitol as imperial city.

Not much food required and city level settlements are easier to defend. I downgraded all above large city levels to city and use the excess food as bargaining tools.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123