View Poll Results: Where shall blood be spilled?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Go east to the Severin (Attack vampires)

5 100.00%
  • Take the war to the Lycans (Attack wolfsmen)

0 0%
  • I don't know (Do whatever you want)

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chronicles of the Night Breed (EOD II, Dark Fantasy AAR) [Updated 03.04.2020]

Campidoctor

Default Chronicles of the Night Breed (EOD II, Dark Fantasy AAR) [Updated 03.04.2020]

Chronicles of the Night Breed

Table of Content

"... And is it said that the sun once shined bright. That the world was full of life and lush green pastures.
    It is only a legend."

Welcome guys, gals, ghosts. This is a side project of mine. And yet another one of the mad derctor's crazy experiments.

What's this?

It's a semi-interactive AAR, set in the dark fantasy world of the infamous mod "End of Days II - Lycan Rising" by makanyane and Halie Satanus. I doubt anyone of you knows it. Which means that this story is indeed one of the forgotten. The mod, however, shouldn't. We will check this unusual, awesome mod out.

It's a mod that picks up Rome 1 Barbarian Invasion and throws it into a world of darkness. A world where your worst horror becomes a reality, set in a dying land with atrocious beasts, both in a physical and in a psychological form. Among vampires, wolfsmen, zombies, ghouls and ogres are the humans. Beings with weak bodys and a short lifespan but strong in the way of arcane magic and just as vile as the other creatures, if not even more.

It's a relatively old mod and its forums seem as (un)dead as the units in this mod. A normal thing, given that time is the devourer of everything.

"Why?", you might ask. Why another AAR? Are you not busy enough with "Derc Plays Through History" and all the other happening in your life already? Yes, I am. I am. I am ...

I'm usually a funny guy. But sometimes, in the middle of the night, I sit there, unable to sleep, the brain full of pitch black thoughts. Some people live in extremes, and so do I. This has to be nothing bad. It can be put to good use. Take it, twist it, make something creative out of it. We are all just human, aren't we?

There is no place for humour and love here. At least not on the surface. But as you might learn, this mod plays on the subsurface, creeping upon you from six feet under.

I recommend to read this AAR only in the night, when the light of the sun has left your home and you sit there in the dark silence of your room, altogether with something like a cherry tea. Hm. Nice ... warm ... crimson red. It may feel completely bonkers to read this on a bright sunny day.

In contrast to my other project, this one here will be updated on a very unregular basis. A side project, as I said. The campaign will be played as we progress. I haven't started the game yet.

This will be more text driven. I am usually a "show, don't tell" guy, so I will use images from various sources, but this time only for some atmospheric reasons or details. This AAR should also work without any images at all. They are supposed to be a nice addentum, nothing more.
    I do not want cotnb and dptwh to feel similar. However, some similarities exists. Loading screens as a chapter opener make a return as they are really adding some nice atmo to it.

It is of no use to explain all too much how this'll be. Let's just start and see for ourselves.

If you want to check out a little AAR by the mod authors themselve, then have a look here. You'll then also understand where this AAR's name comes from.
    If you want to check the mod itself out, you can find it here (subforums) and here (download).

⚠ Attention, Attention
    This introduction was a bit (!) show. I just want to do a dark fantasy AAR every now and then. Lol.
    Last edited by Derc; April 02, 2020 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Update ToC

Campidoctor

Default Re: Chronicles of the Night Breed (EOD II, Dark Fantasy AAR)

Chapter 0: Lands of the Ghostmen

Ambience

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Enter the gate to another world
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Ghostmen. Who are the Ghostmen?
    Few need to ask that question. Those who do ... wish they hadn't.

But from the beginning. Let's start from the beginning of this abysmal story, dear reader.
    The beginning ...
    I don't know where I should start. This world was an already dark one since the dawn of history. It has ever been. It may have looked different back then, but debauchery lurked in the shadows, biding its time ... and once it came out, there was no stopping.
    Looking back at it, there were many beginnings - and also many ends. Everything that once started ... must end. It is a very natural circle of life.

Ah ... life. It is complicated. When is something alive and when is something dead? And what is that state in between, being undead?

No, dear reader, perhaps it is best to start this story at a very certain point. The most important one.

There was a war. A war between Lycans and Vampyres.
    Lycans and Vampyres?

Lycans, also called werewolfes or wolfsmen, and Vampyres/vampires look very similar to the untrained eye.
    Lycans can turn into giant wolflike beasts if the conditions are right, giving them superhuman strength, at the cost of their sanity. The transformation is putting them into a bloodrage and as long as it lasts, is also turning them into savage beasts without rationality or mercy.

A lust for blood is also what drives the Vampyres, although in a different sense. Blood is their very essence of life. They need it or they will succumb into petty beings. The lack of blood and the exposure to the sun is what makes them weak. As long as they manage to avoid that, they are a force to be feared.

The Vampyre nation held Lycans as their slaves for over a millenia. A thousand years in chains and suffering. Entire Lycan generations did not know anything else than bars and forced work. At one point the Lycans were no longer born. They were bred.

Over a thousand years of torment and bewailing. It was then that civil war eruptet in the Vampyre nation, tearing both their land and their power apart, allowing the Lycans to revolt after such a long time, their spirit unbroken. In the same moment the petty humans, outcast to the harsh lands in the west a long time ago, called for a Crusade. A holy quest to reclaim the land from the vile creatures that have outcast them long ago. They set out under the banner of Talamasca, singing joyful songs of conquest and honor, hiding their own darkness behind reasons they called "just".

...Skip this. What happened was nothing else but a slaughter on all sides. Centuries of war, ravaging and bloodletting has dried them out, giving rise to other smaller beings.

Among them were the Ghostmen.
    So who are the Ghostmen?

The innocent soul back then would have called them ... peaceful. The Ghostmen were minding their own business after all, as long as you left them alone. Ignorant tongues would call them simple beings, if beings at all. Harmless. A joke. Primitive scum that could be ignored.
    How wrong they were.

The land of the Ghostmen lies far in the north, acting as a buffer between the Lycans and the Vampyres. Every once in a while an ignorant fool would cross their land, using it as a shortcut. Those fools were either never found again or lost their minds, cowering in dark corners, telling about wild things or having lost their ability to speak at all.

These were only a few lost souls. Until now. Now the whole world was about to learn about the Ghostmen.
    Perhaps it was that war between the Lycans and the Vampyres that set them off. Perhaps something else. I feel like there was something more. An unknown force.
    Yes, there must have been something. Something ... different.

Ah, dear reader, history already started to fade. I can't see in what direction they started to expand.
    You know, the written word proved to be of little priority anymore once they set out. But as every story needs to have a beginning, so needs theirs.

Would you be so kind and tell me?

🛈 INFORMATION The task is now up to you, fellow reader. In what direction should we start expanding?

Unlike my other AAR, where all campaign you see are already over, this one is a campaign that'll proceed together with the AAR. This allows some interactive possibilities between reader and writer. You, fellow reader, are a part of the force that drives the Ghostmen.

Make your choice and live with its consequences.

Oh, and I have another request. Please tell me if the formatting of the text or something else is hard on your eyes. If I hear nothing, I assume it is ok. I hope it is.
    Last edited by Derc; October 31, 2019 at 01:23 PM. Reason: #0

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Aww. I hoped for an Amnesia style survival with the humans. But heh, Ghostmen is fine, though you regrettably never made me lose my ability to talk. Don't you dare touch the wolfies! Go for the vampires, for they are gay and I a bit of a homophobe apparently. Bella should've never chosen Edward! She should've gone with Jacob!

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

This looks like a cool setting and I look forward to seeing how your Ghostmen will survive being in between two dangerous-sounding factions.

Great to see this starting I'm really glad you've chosen to write about our mod, and can't wait to see how it all comes out!

I voted... and apparently, that's the popular option so far...

Campidoctor

Aww. I hoped for an Amnesia style survival with the humans. But heh, Ghostmen is fine, though you regrettably never made me lose my ability to talk.
    That's why you're talking wild things.

Don't you dare touch the wolfies! Go for the vampires, for they are gay and I a bit of a homophobe apparently. Bella should've never chosen Edward! She should've gone with Jacob!
    "Rrrrr, Wölfchen~"
    #TeamEdward
    Once the Ghostmen are done with them, there'll be no more sparkles, I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    This looks like a cool setting and I look forward to seeing how your Ghostmen will survive being in between two dangerous-sounding factions.
    I don't know who's the hunter and who's the hunted atm. That being said, I'm only at turn 1 yet.

Quote Originally Posted by makanyane View Post
    Great to see this starting I'm really glad you've chosen to write about our mod, and can't wait to see how it all comes out!

I voted... and apparently, that's the popular option so far...
    Huzzah, doesn't look good for the vampires.

Well, it's a lovely mod and something very refreshing, especially the battles.
    I once played a Rahala campaign. That was nice. The outsiders like the Ghostmen, however, are a much greater challenge and I ask myself where it will lead to.

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

This looks like it's going to be a special experience. The setting is lovely and the mod looks great. Darkness and being funny do not necessarily mutually exclude each other. Despite the darkness I am a funny guy (if I say so myself ), in fact the darker it gets, the more I laugh though I might just be a tad insane .

Of course first take out the undead sparkly boys, afterwards you can focus on getting rid of the furries. Rawr xD
    Do leave the vilest of creatures to walk this earth for last. I mean, of course, the filthy race that is Humans. *misanthropy intensifies*

I do bid thee good luck!

Citizen

Come to think of it: Who are the Ghostmen? Are the Ghostwomen another faction?
    I need answers, Derc, and I need them now!
    #Imwithhauntedbyher

From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie

Campidoctor

Default Re: Chronicles of the Night Breed (EOD II, Dark Fantasy AAR) [Updated 05.06.2019]

Ambience

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Set foot into a ruin
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The lands of the Ghostmen were once inhabitated by humans. An age forgotten.
    Only crumbled ruins keep telling about glorious achievements and megalomanic approaches that were dared back then. Humanity had a good time, they lived in wealth. And still there were beggars in the streets, wondering how they would make their very day. They had their sight fixed on the rich, filthy nobles, their coffers ever full, burning like wildfire in the beggars eyes.

All gone. These hollow ruins whisper murmurs of the ghosts and the winds. No matter if beggar or prince, everyone vanished.
    The last candle has been lit off centuries ago, time has gnawed on the stones, parts of the structure already having collapsed under the weight of all these years.

Later owners of these lands had little love for these old ruins, having wandered and plundered but not repaired them. Inside there lay the skeletonized corpses of thieves and marauders, their skin and flesh having rotted away in an era long past, hiding the look of uttermost terror they've had in the moment of their death.

The Ghostmen care little about homes. They do not need them. They just dwell wherever they are, staring into the abyss. The forces of nature do little to them as they can't feel anything. And yet they still build simple shacks, having understood that while they themselves do not need shelter, the tools they use still do.

Ah...

I can still remember how cities used to be. You would enter them and then you immediately would have an almost unlimited amount of possibilities. That, at least, is what your brain told you. In fact it was always the same. Tired merchants would offer you food, furnitures or things you would never need at all. Their job was to sell it to you and they did so every day. Their love for the things they sold and for you as their customer had vanished a long time ago. All they were interested in was to make profit and to be left alone. They could only do so by putting on a mask of false happiness, telling you about being glad to sell their tremendous products to you, especially you. It was all a ruse to ensure their own survival, nothing else. If they could, they would have just robbed that money from you.

Next to them was the common folk, too many to count them all. They would hush around from one location to another, caring little about anything that was in between, their senses solemnly fixed on reaching their destination - and yet still distracting themselves however they could.

Yes, the cities were overgrowded. People would bump into you and care little about it, not apologizing or giving a damn to feel sorry at all. Then, when disaster struck, they were the very first ones to beg you for shelter - to let them in just because they were oh so special.

I kept the door closed. Terrible curses, then pleas, then haunting screams came from the other side. Then silence. I heard nothing from them ever again.
    When I opened the door, the city was empty. Stepping outside, I did not feel more lonely than before. Not at all. It was all just the same, except that for just that one eerie feeling. The feeling of the void.

I did not miss anyone and still I went on to search for someone. Anyone.
    These people were monsters, caring little about you, only looking for themselves. And here I was, searching for these monsters, taken by other monsters. A natural instinct. I was driven by a natural instinct to search for someone I did not care about in the first place at all, searching someone I used to hide from. This feeling only activated when everyone had gone. I would have felt wrong if not having started to search for them.

There was no one anymore. The city was silent. Dead silent. Even the animals had gone. Such a silence I had never known. It almost drove me insane. After searching for countless hours without success, I decided to go back, deciding to leave the city the very next day. I had to prepare for my oncoming journey, a journey for answers.

And as I went back home one last time, having had the chance to reflect on all these monsters, I once again understood that I, perhaps, was the worst one of them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Did I just hear something?!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Turkafinwë View Post
    This looks like it's going to be a special experience. The setting is lovely and the mod looks great. Darkness and being funny do not necessarily mutually exclude each other. Despite the darkness I am a funny guy (if I say so myself ), in fact the darker it gets, the more I laugh though I might just be a tad insane .

Of course first take out the undead sparkly boys, afterwards you can focus on getting rid of the furries. Rawr xD
    Do leave the vilest of creatures to walk this earth for last. I mean, of course, the filthy race that is Humans. *misanthropy intensifies*
    My man! We understand each other.

Yes, as said in the beginning, you need to dig in order to find some hidden goods.
    It's not too hard to spot humour. Cookie's here after all. That guy can handle it all alone.

Come to think of it: Who are the Ghostmen? Are the Ghostwomen another faction?
    I need answers, Derc, and I need them now!
    #Imwithhauntedbyher
    There is no political correctness in this world.
    Come to think of it, it's pretty paradisiacal.
    Last edited by Derc; October 31, 2019 at 01:22 PM. Reason: #1

Default Re: Chronicles of the Night Breed (EOD II, Dark Fantasy AAR) [Updated 05.06.2019]

You capture the eerie atmosphere of the lands of the Ghostmen brilliantly! I'm intrigued by the idea of a 'search for someone I did not care about ... at all', a bit like the merchants who no longer care for their goods or customers. Also, the Buffy quote in the loading screen is very funny.

Citizen

I liked this part a lot. You described the scenery perfectly. I especially liked the description of "life" in the overgrowded cities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Derc
    I once again understood that I, perhaps, was the worst one of them.
    perhaps.

Content Emeritus

A very enjoyable begin. The absolute cynicism fills me with joy. Dark and bleak prospects await our nameless character.

I agree with Alwyn, the Buffy quote is hilarious.

Campidoctor

Default Re: Chronicles of the Night Breed (EOD II, Dark Fantasy AAR) [Updated 06.08.2019]

Ambience

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Even a dead world needs to be explored

I wandered these empty lands, not knowing why I was the only one spared. My city was gone, my old life was gone, the entire world seemed to have gone. Everyone I once knew was not there anymore. There was only emptiness. Emptiness and silence. I either had to go crazy or adapt. Perhaps both meant the same.

I set out, not knowing what happened, not knowing where I was going and yet I knew I was the one who would document this empty new world, one of the last of his kind. It was important to go on, was it? Was it?

My eyes looked to the skies. What they saw was nothing new, and yet it seemed all the more powerful now.

The sun was blotted out a long time ago. It is said vampires did it. It is also said the Druids of the old ages did it as a result of their impending defeat on the hand of the Knights Order - if they had to go, the whole world had to.
    Whoever it once was, it was foul magic, that is certain. Not that it'd matter anymore.

A world with bright sunlight? I knew such a thing only by legend. The light of the dark sun was enough for things to go on, at least in a different form.

The old sun could not be brought back. Plants and beings had to (d)evolve back then. It was that simple. They either died or they adapted to the new settings, creating something new, surviving in the chaos, finding their place in this altered world. And so had I.

This situation now repeated in similar circumstances. The world once more seemed dead. Perhaps it was the beginning of something new once more. Or perhaps it was the end altogether this time.

To find out, I had to wander. And wander these empty lands I would, passing deserts, woods, ruins. The only traces I've found that indicated life had not left this world a thousand years ago were still fresh but lifeless villages, some corpses and fruits rotting here and there.

Then, after having travelled what seemed to be days... weeks... months..., I finally met someone - or something, as it was one of these vile creatures.

If only I hadn't.

There were whispers among the wind.

--- Comments ---

So the results of the poll seem to be pretty obvious. The land of the Vampyres it is.
    Tasty.

I think there will be one more update, then we'll start ingame.

You capture the eerie atmosphere of the lands of the Ghostmen brilliantly! I'm intrigued by the idea of a 'search for someone I did not care about ... at all', a bit like the merchants who no longer care for their goods or customers. Also, the Buffy quote in the loading screen is very funny.
    Thanks a lot.

You got one of these subtle jokes. Can't stop being a jester, not even here. Some of these quotes are indeed much more funny than eerie.

I liked this part a lot. You described the scenery perfectly. I especially liked the description of "life" in the overgrowded cities.
    perhaps.
    Perhaps...

A very enjoyable begin. The absolute cynicism fills me with joy. Dark and bleak prospects await our nameless character.
    You decided which land he'd tell us about first. No one can say what atrocities awaited him there.

Last edited by Derc; October 31, 2019 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Adjusted chapter and title

Citizen

Default Re: Chronicles of the Night Breed (EOD II, Dark Fantasy AAR) [Updated 06.08.2019]

Great read! Is this screen from Morrowind?
    Quote Originally Posted by Derc
    The land of the Vampyres it is.
    Tasty.
    Gay.

McScottish's Avatar The Scribbling Scotsman

Always wanted to do an AAR with this mod, having played it a lot in years past, but I'll settle for your excellent one instead. Liking it very much, please go on.

That image of the dark sun, and your description of the circumstances and effects of this, are evocative. I look forward to the account of the meeting which our narrator wishes hadn't happened!

Content Emeritus

I agree with Alwyn, the image is really good! A lovely continuing introduction to the world of our protagonist.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Oh.

Pretty sure I played the Ghostmen way back when. Tough campaign....

Campidoctor

Default Re: Chronicles of the Night Breed (EOD II, Dark Fantasy AAR) [Updated 31.10.2019]

Ambience

Open your eyes

Having spotted this silhouette from afar, something inside immediately stopped me from engaging it. It didn't matter. It came to me.
    And indeed my senses were right to warn me. It was nothing you would be happy about. It was a Ghostmen.

The Ghostmen...
    There were stories. Lycans and Vampyres fought their war in the harsh lands of the cold north. Years and years and years of bloodletting in a forsaken land that has once been the home of many glorious kingdoms. All of them gone long ago.
    This land was a damned one, a cursed place, and whoever reigned here must have angered the spirits terribly, for they decided to manifest, killing anyone who still dared to wander this region, no matter their age, race, or intentions, and without any mercy. These spirits are the Ghostmen.

They are said to be a simple tribe. Creatures living a primal life in sloppy shacks, using improvised tools, dwelling around in this nowhere, doing nothing. The truth is more complicated.
    The Ghostmen need no home as they don't feel anything, neither on a physical nor on a mental basis. They wander these lands in silence. They don't speak. And they don't care. Because they can't. They are the void. Where they are, there is nothing.

Their skin is pale as the snow and their eyes are pitch black - if you're lucky. The most dangerous of them have a dim glow in their eyes. It is the glow of death, of terror, and once these eyes have locked on you, you are in dire trouble. Just such a thing happened to me.

This Ghostmen. This...thing. This creature. It had spotted me. There was no escape now. It rushed to me so fast I couldn't do anything, not even scream.

...I don't know what happened next. I must have blacked out. When I awoke, I was somewhere else. I don't know where, but I was glad it was still in the open, and I was still in one piece. This, however, is also what troubled me. Why? Did this Ghostmen just spare me? It is said that if you survive an encounter with a Ghostmen, it is because you ended up enslaved, a fate even worse than death. Perhaps this is what just happened.

There were no shackles on me, at least not on my body. But inside. Inside something had been altered. I felt it. I felt...different. As if something was inside me.
    I had earned more knowledge about the Ghostmen somehow, but I could not remember anymore why I set out in the first place. Then I read my own texts, and the urge to wander this devastated world manifested once more. I know what happened. Yes, I know what happened. And I wish I wouldn't. I shall document it all, even though there may be no one to read these words anymore.
    Truly, these are the words of the forgotten. These are the Chronicles of the Night Breed.

Such ends chapter zero.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    As far as I've read from the original "Chronicle of the Night Breed" and from the ingame descriptions, the devs intend the Ghostmen to be more man than ghosts. We stray apart from that.

Pale skin, pitch black eyes? Such a creature actually exists in real life.
    Spoiler for Want to ruin this chapter with a single image?

Spoiler for Really?

It was certainly a special day

--- Comments ---

Happy Halloween! 🎃

Great read! Is this screen from Morrowind?
    Gay.
    Nah, that was from your most favourite game. Skyrim.
    At least you got the series right.

Quote Originally Posted by McScottish View Post
    Always wanted to do an AAR with this mod, having played it a lot in years past, but I'll settle for your excellent one instead. Liking it very much, please go on.
    Another one who played this mod? And it's McScottish himself? Man, this is awesome!

That image of the dark sun, and your description of the circumstances and effects of this, are evocative. I look forward to the account of the meeting which our narrator wishes hadn't happened!
    Well, it happened. Oh my, oh my! What just happened?

I agree with Alwyn, the image is really good! A lovely continuing introduction to the world of our protagonist.
    Gracias. Hope you enjoyed this one too.

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    Oh.

Pretty sure I played the Ghostmen way back when. Tough campaign....
    That campaign is BRUTAL. I was so, so close before ragequitting. I actually did on my first try. The enemies just kept swooping in and I had to cling on the last straw all the time. But let's not tell anyone.
    Last edited by Derc; April 02, 2020 at 05:03 PM.

Citizen

Things the protagonist and I had in common: "Shilhouette" had us both hooked. Now all he needs to do is advertise a product.

In all seriousness: I don't approve of Halloween, but I approve of this. I thus award you a completely arbitrary score of 10·|cos(π)| out of 10·|i²|.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast