View Poll Results: Which unit size did you start using?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Don't Know / Don't Care

0 0%
  • Small

0 0%
  • Medium

1 4.55%
  • Large

2 9.09%
  • Ultra

3 13.64%
  • Extreme

16 72.73%

Thread: Initial Unit Size Preferences

Default Initial Unit Size Preferences

As you all noticed by now there are 5 unit size options all the way up to Extreme unit size which is 240 for infantry. I personally started with Ultra which has 160 for infantry to sort of learn things the first few tries. However, having 40 for cavalry feels a little underwhelmed. What size do you use?
    The Armenian Issue

Miles

Default Re: Initial Unit Size Preferences

I started on extreme but felt it was unrealistic for chinese armies. I'm having 210 for cavalry and 760 for infantry. Runs really smoothly too compared to previous games,which has impressed me greatly.

One booboo I made was making catapults have 20 catapults each, though I suppose in a country with huge numbers of men power available it is more realisic than just 4 catapults.

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    took an arrow to the knee

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

I accidentally started on Medium and then was already too engulfed to start anew. I'll finish this campaign with infantry at 40 and cavalry at 10. It makes for more interesting micro management of the units if they are so small, especially cavalry at 10, but it is indeed less epic. I'll definitely play my next campaign on ultra.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Quote Originally Posted by apw2 View Post
    I started on extreme but felt it was unrealistic for chinese armies. I'm having 210 for cavalry and 760 for infantry. Runs really smoothly too compared to previous games,which has impressed me greatly.

One booboo I made was making catapults have 20 catapults each, though I suppose in a country with huge numbers of men power available it is more realisic than just 4 catapults.
    Extreme should give you 240 for infantry. How did you get 760?
    The Armenian Issue

It's usually easy to mod in a higher unit count.

For those who use Extreme unit size, I'd love to hear your experience on how the game is affected. A few screenshots would be nice too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis42 View Post
    It's usually easy to mod in a higher unit count.
    Which would make it something more than Extreme.
    The Armenian Issue

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Extreme. Average 30 fps. By default recommended settings I can get over 50 fps with High settings and Normal unit sizes but I played on Ultra with Extreme unit sizes. Played very smooth up to 2v1 or 1v2 battles. Never drop below 20 and I now make a habit to turn off fps counter as looking at them when gaming distress me. 😁

Looking at unit sizes that isn’t extreme just makes me sad.