Thread: Extracting diffuse dds files from CA packs

Default Extracting diffuse dds files from CA packs

Hi all,

I've been having some trouble getting the diffuse DDS files extracted from CA data packs (getting diffuse dds files from non CA packs works fine), basically when I check them in either RPFM or PFM, they don't show anything in the preview and when I extract them a black DDS file is extracted (the file is just a black picture when opened in photoshop, I do have a DDS plugin here).

Is there some kind of protection on these files so they can't be extracted or do I need to do something special to extract them.

Specifically I was trying to extract the file:
    emp_greatswords_body_01_diffuse.dds

Or did i somehow manage to break either rpfm, pfm or the data packs themselves ?

La♔De♔Da♔Brigadier Graham's Avatar Artifex♔Duffer♔Civitate
    The Den,with a massive pair of binoculars, surveying TWC, ensuring members are laughing & happy!

Default Re: Extracting diffuse dds files from CA packs

Quote Originally Posted by mikmak300 View Post
    Hi all,

I've been having some trouble getting the diffuse DDS files extracted from CA data packs (getting diffuse dds files from non CA packs works fine), basically when I check them in either RPFM or PFM, they don't show anything in the preview and when I extract them a black DDS file is extracted (the file is just a black picture when opened in photoshop, I do have a DDS plugin here).

Is there some kind of protection on these files so they can't be extracted or do I need to do something special to extract them.

Specifically I was trying to extract the file:
    emp_greatswords_body_01_diffuse.dds

Or did i somehow manage to break either rpfm, pfm or the data packs themselves ?
    Hello and welcome to the forums, as far as I know dds files can be changed with pfm etc, you need something like this!

"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained Dufferism"

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Use gimp or photoshop.

You extract the dds files with RPFM or PFM, and then edit them with gimp or photoshop, and then put them back in RPFM or PFM.

The link provide by BrigadierGraham is for something else; rigidmodel, not dds.
    Last edited by Steph; May 26, 2019 at 02:30 AM.

Hi and thank you for the replies.

Unfortunately neither answer actually addresses my issue, so I might not have explained it properly.

I am currently using RPFM 1.6.0 and PFM to extract DDS files. When I open the data pack variants_dds2.pck and navigate to the file emp_greatswords_body_01_diffuse.dds.
    The preview I can normally see when opening dds files in rpfm and pfm is not showing anything. I then tried to rightclick the file and extract it and the file extract to my target folder with no errors.
    I then open photoshop (with the nvidia dds plugin installed) and aI open the file I extracted, and it does open the file.

The issue is, the file i open is just black background and nothing else.

This issue is not consistant for all dds files in the pack files, it is just most of the diffuse textures that have this issue.

and lastly I hjave not had this issue with any diffuse dds texture in mod packs made by other modders, only with CA official mod packs.

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

I can open this file Ok, I edited it recently for my empire mod.

Depending on how the file was saved, sometimes it doesn't show in RPFM or PFM. But with gimp it usually work (or you get an error message about the format), and with photoshop it always worked.

Hi Steph,

Can I convince you to try to check if you can see the preview on the file directly from the warhammer 2 data pack variants_dds.pck, since CA has updated the game recently, you don't even need to extract it, just confirm if your rpfm can show it or not.
    Because if you can see the preview as of latest updates, then I know my problem is with either RPFM and PFM and whatever dependencies they use to actually open and extract the files on my computer.

oh and by the way, what version of RPFM are you using ? since version 1.6.0 was a new release a couple of days ago.

Interesting, I just installed GIMP and tried with it and was able to open the extracted file and it actually shows the file, so it seems that it's my photoshop thats broken.

Anyway thanks for the assist, you got me pointed the right way

Had the same issue. You can use gimp to export save it. Then you can open it in Photoshop
    "To the west, to the edge of the world"
    Gaius Julius Caesar

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Paint.NET also support .dds files both ways (open and saving).
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.