Thread: [WIP] Unreal Total War: EBII

The Great Khan of Rome's Avatar Civis

Default [WIP] Unreal Total War: EBII

Unreal Total War: EBII
    Where things get unreal.

Unreal is a mod series that runs from Rome to Attila. Unreal attempts to strike a balance between fun and realism. Battles are longer, but not boringly so. Campaigns are better, etc. For now this is focused on battles.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

- Armour makes sense now as heavily armored troops (30 armour value or above is heavy) can't be killed easily unless with the use of javs, or weapons such as maces and axes. Armour also informs morale. Heavily armored units get +1 morale for every 10 armor beyond 30 armor value (not implemented in EBII).
    Armour is an average now as in EBII it was not standardized.

- Morale is everything, not just for routs. Morale now informs def skill, charge bonus, attack, etc. Def skill is just morale, with a -3 for low, +3 disciplined, and a +5 for impetuous. Same goes for the rest of the stats, sine the values being the same as the morale. They also inform missile damage now.

- Speed of inf depends on armor, so heavy units are slower while lighter units are fast. Speed for cav is dependent on the mount.

- Unit sizes are dependent on many factors. Armour, morale, and weaponry, especially for ranged weapons.

- Mount effects are more dynamic. Light cav do poorly against other cav, heavy cav stand a better chance, but both get crushed by elephants. Spearmen bonus vs cav scales with their spear_bonus_x in their stat_pri_attr. It's always half. Units with shorter weapons get maluses vs cav, such as axes and maces, and inf in generally is weak towards elephants, unless it's a phalanx unit. Camels are anti-cav-cav, but get wrecked by elephants.

- Shield values represent the coverage of it. A 5 is the starting value for all shields, as the start at the wrist and move upward towards the head. An elbow coverage gets 8, the shoulder gets an 11, and the head gets a 15. Morale as effects shield values to represent competency (the same goes for weapons as well).

- No ap weapons (no ap stat_pri_attr or stat_sec_attr)

- No attack delays to make combat faster

- Projectiles make more sense. Ranges are better balanced. Javelins and thrown weapons have short ranges. Arrows are in the middle, having modest ranges.

- Charge bonus determined now by a number of factors. The type of weapon (longer weapons get more charge), morale, how much armor the unit has (it's every 10 beyond 30), and the mount.

DL link (Public Beta v0.7): https://mega.nz/#!dvBHVKjI!IhCg75AKX...HbcjbMq8eE04t0

Unreal Total Rebalance Pack I: https://mega.nz/file/9ioVmCRS#TLuxRU...PhANNqbDbSOpxk

We need feedback, so put in your replies on what I can do.
    Last edited by The Great Khan of Rome; May 08, 2020 at 06:11 PM.
    Creator of UNREAL, balance mod series that promises changes to everything Total War, and it's offshoots, MEGA for other games. Basically, I'm reject Radious.

Default Re: [WIP] Unreal Total War: EBII

Aw man I havent played this yet but these changes sound pretty good and not unreal at all. Generaly what all mods need and especialy eb is statistical encouragement of flanking while decreasing the damage units can take upfront significaly for all line units. Especialy units such as hoplites should have this driven to the maximum, while units as skrimishers should take loses from any direction. You can do this by instead of giving units armor because they wear armor you give them stat points for how they should play like (meaning unit that even when unit has no shield but I want that units to take little damage upfront but be absolutely defenseless when flanked, I give that unit shield stats)
    This could be futher encouraged by traits (I know rome had stabbing trait, meaning unit dealt more damage from back attacks, dont know if its in med2)

Anyway good luck at making the changes you want. I certainly support any kind of inovative stat approach.

Great idea!
    After first testing i can say the battles looks amaizing and spectacular
    Need to play more.

Will you also create unreal submod for Devide & Conquer?

I have ideas for Lord of the rings total war, but they're still in beta stages, so you'll have to wait.
    Creator of UNREAL, balance mod series that promises changes to everything Total War, and it's offshoots, MEGA for other games. Basically, I'm reject Radious.

Quote Originally Posted by The Great Khan of Rome View Post
    I have ideas for Lord of the rings total war, but they're still in beta stages, so you'll have to wait.
    Thank You for answering
    After some hours of plaing i can say
    The length of the fighting time is perfect in my opinion.
    Battles enjoy the eyes, until you want to roll them during the campaign every time. Farter battle combat is what i was looking for😊
    Battles are great fun and they are also balanced.
    Thank you for your work

Now this is some well thought and standarized idea, I love the sound of it, I will redownload EB2 to check this out

(...) heavily armored troops (30 armour value or above is heavy) can't be killed easily unless with the use of javs, or weapons such as maces and axes.

- No ap weapons (no ap stat_pri_attr or stat_sec_attr)

But... I'm not sure how does that work then?

Artifex

Removing AP can work out great in my opinion, it has been tried here and there and some people are very satisfied with the results, myself included. My take on the issue was giving maces and similar heavy weapons increased attack but a hefty attack delay, so they will repeatedly be interrupted by a swift swordsman but have greater chance to penetrate armor and shield once they score a hit.

Unit statistics modding have been done a lot in Stainless Steel, like the Real Combat submod where PointBlank has presented a very thorough formula for calculating stats. I do not agree with all his choices but the system has an inherent logic and is meticulously presented which I admire greatly. There have been some discossions about removing AP over there.

I posted my approach to the issue in the Call of Warhammer mod forum for a submod, found here;
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...stics-sytem(s)

I will probably look over javelins some time. The stats don't match what the units are carrying, tiny darts outdamaging heavy poles in some cases.

Great Khan of Rome, if morale determines defense skill, how do you represent raiders and mercenary types, who would be very skilled and experienced but unreliable and with lower morale than the average soldier since they want to make a profit but not fight to the end for the commander?
    The Misadventures of Diabolical Amazons - Completed.
    An Orcs Tale, a Third Age AAR - Completed.
    Reviewed by Alwyn in the Critics Quill
    My Dread Lady, a Warcraft Total War AAR - 27 chapters done.
    Home to Midgard, a Third Age AAR about two dwarves, a spy and a diplomat - Completed (pictures remade up to chapter 19).
    Reviewed by Boustrophedon in The Critics Quill

I haven't thought much about attack delay, but it makes perfect sense now. Thanks for the clarification

I looked at EDU to check mercenaries' morale, and it seems something is not right there:

1. Morale of standard and merc units seems to be the same with most units, although there are differences like tighter formation (for mercs)

2. Oftentimes normal units have like 20 more armour (?) compared to mercs versions?

new version DL with camp changes and the like:
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/down...o=file&id=4525

couple of massive changes:
    new morale system
    asymmetric balancing (most cav are effective vs other cav etc. mount effects depend on weapon type)
    armour clamping (50 is the new maximum)
    bunch of misc things that I can't name right now.

Hey Khan, any recommended difficulty for battles?

Tried it on normal and hard and the AI is slaughtered by roman javelins (they were unarmoured aedui).

Just checking its correct, the units broke very quickly too after fighting.

Is very hard the go to?

Cheers