Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bronze Age Empires (BA TW campaign conversion)

Default Re: Bronze Age Empires (BA TW campaign conversion)

I see you have abandoned the Crusader mod. Will the energy that was going into that be directed into this?
    FREE THE NIPPLE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Slaytaninc View Post
    I see you have abandoned the Crusader mod. Will the energy that was going into that be directed into this?
    Don't worry this mod will be released (unless something in real life stops me), a lot of stuff has been finished already for example all interfaces, menus, event images, ai, audio, strat models (still going to change some, for example Egyptian cities strat models I'll probably use the ones in Aurei Imperii). I've also fixed a ton of stuff from the original mod, still need to fix the broken family trees (for example there are a ton of children with 0 age). But I've fixed already the trade resources (still need to add some to a few regions that lacks it). Events descriptions are finished, cultures/religions are finished and added to the appropriate regions). Traits and ancillaries are also fine as they are, same files from Aurei Imperii with the necessary edits made.

What is left to do: all the buildings stuff but as I'm just going to reuse Aureii Imperii stuff it will just be a lot of copy/paste with the necessary edits, all recruitment, but again I'll use a similar system to what I did in Aurei Imperii (based on EBII recruitment with obvious differences as for example all recruitment come from the government buildings with no exceptions as I believe this helps ai both with recruitment and buildings construction as ai always prioritize buildings with recruitment). Still need to make the government buildings icons. Cities, like in Aurei Imperii shall have fixed sizes from beginning but starting underdevelopped, the reasoning for the fixed size is that it makes so that are certain cities that will always be more important than others as they were historically, also both player and ai can keep building stuff and it also as a cosmetic effect as city models keep their original looks on the map (when they're upgraded the model changes for the faction that upgrades it). The temples buildings I had made something similar to the original mod but I'm going to change again to the same as in Aurei Imperii which is based on EBII (it's just there are obvious balance issues with allowing multiple temples). Economic balance will also be similar to Aurei Imperii which is also based on EBII (yes I'm a fan of EBII lol).

Regarding the units I'm going to keep all the stats from the original mod but recruitment, upkeep cost and recruitment priorities will be based on Aurei Imperii (which is based on EBII but with obvious differences as I don't use their formula).

Still need to do all the scripting stuff including the invasions of Sea Peoples, Dorians and Mysians.

I've been lately working on a mod for Darkest Hour which is taking a lot more time than I had planned but when I finish it I'll resume the work on this.
    Last edited by MagusCaligula; July 17, 2020 at 07:13 AM.

I've made a new big overhaul to strat models for generals and captains as previously there were many factions sharing stuff, Ive also replaced Egyptian strat models for settlements.
    Work on the mod continues, doing a lot of stuff in different areas, adding region images with descriptions, etc.

Last edited by MagusCaligula; August 28, 2020 at 07:01 PM.

I've implemented a different AI in this mod from what I've used in my Roman era mod, I think it might solve some "issues" from the previous one. I've also did some tweaks and managed to make AI actually use their Generals often and gather their units in proper stacks, the AI also seems to properly garrison settlements, so it seems a good improvement. It also seems to use diplomacy more efficiently.

Still adding the region images with descriptions, half of the work is already made as I'm using the icons and images I've did for my other mod but descriptions are all new as they're completely focused in Bronze Age and the civilizations.

Also redesigning government and temples stuff. The most important cities shall work not only as the center of governemnt and military but also as religious centers where you can build more important temples.

There is a mistake with Troy city name as shown in the screenshot as the correct name is Wilusa, Taruisa was the name of the region.
    Last edited by MagusCaligula; September 01, 2020 at 02:37 PM.

Vladyvid's Avatar Wizard of Turmish

Great job! Are the ziggurats and pyramids replaced trade resources? + rep, well done

Quote Originally Posted by Vladyvid View Post
    Great job! Are the ziggurats and pyramids replaced trade resources? + rep, well done
    Yeah (and there is also Knossos Palace) but I still have 1 free resource and not sure what to with it, I don't want to add more resources as the economy is a bit of a problem, as it's kind of easy to get money (I'm still working on getting the balance right). Anyway with the last one I'm probably add a "western" like village as there is only one for "eastern" village in the original mod and I like the idea as it makes the map more interesting.

Virian's Avatar Civis

If getting money is easy, increase the upkeep of the elite units and the price of buildings slightly, that should help. Money are usually used on units so upping the upkeep should counterbalance the ease of earning money.

Quote Originally Posted by Virian View Post
    If getting money is easy, increase the upkeep of the elite units and the price of buildings slightly, that should help. Money are usually used on units so upping the upkeep should counterbalance the ease of earning money.
    Well ofc, the thing is the original mod already have the units cost more or less like Europa Barbarorum which is a balance I like and I don't really feel like dealing with a new rebalance lol I'll still probably revise the recruitment priorities but need to take a closer look at that. The problem is that there are maybe a bit too much provinces especially in certain areas of the map. The economy balance will be made by building maintenance cost as some buildings will have maintenance cost. At the end after I've setup everything if I still feel there is too much money floating the final balance will be the cost added to settlement wall. So a bigger city will have a bigger maintenance cost than a smaller one for example.

I really like the work you are doing here. Do you have any idea about when you could make a release? How advanced is this mod in your estimation? What are you missing, still want to add?

Quote Originally Posted by Vladyvid View Post
    I really like the work you are doing here. Do you have any idea about when you could make a release? How advanced is this mod in your estimation? What are you missing, still want to add?
    Well what have been delaying this mod so much is mostly indecisions on my part about some things.

For example, I wanted the ability for building multiple temples but not too many and at same time having some meaning to it. So the design of the temples was one of the things delaying the mod. I've already redesigned the temples as I wasn't satisfied with the old design, I believe the new design is the best possible. Essentily you can choose to build one of the 2 main temple building trees (Cult of the Sun and Cult of the Moon), for example for Egypt is Amun-Ra and Isis; and you can also build another temple from the other cults. In the most important cities you can build both main temple trees. Those have 4 levels while the others only 3.

The government system I more or less already have a clear idea but was something that kept me delaying the mod too.

I've also needed to keep fixing/correcting a ton of stuff from the original mod campaign as it was clearly done in a rush and it feels like the job wasn't finish.

So the conversion from the orginal mod campaign as it is was done long time ago, is all the fixing and new design that as been delaying it and ofc things like map model strats and a lot of other stuff. For example I've been adding region images with descriptions from the Bronze Age era and the descriptions of the civilizations which ofc requires a lot of research.

Anyway I'm hoping to be able to release the mod before the end of the month but I can't promise anything.
    Last edited by MagusCaligula; September 05, 2020 at 06:37 PM.

I've renamed the temples building trees for something more fitting, even though I don't like much having shared trees but the way I did before each faction having its own tree was overcomplicated and with balance issues so I ended up with the traditional way (although the main temples don't use the keyword temple ofc). How they are called now:

Main temples:

Cult of the Great God
    Cult of the Great Goddess

Other temples:

Cult of War
    Cult of Fertility
    Cult of Creation
    Cult of Wisdom
    Cult of the Dead
    Cult of the Sea

Only some factions have them all, essentialy they are the same as in the original mod but the bonus and other stuff are completely redesigned. "Cult of the Sea" can only be built in coastal cities as the bonus are extra trade fleet and ships reducing cost. For example Poseidaon for Mycenae.
    Last edited by MagusCaligula; September 08, 2020 at 06:24 AM.

I've added the 7th Culture slot to Elam and Gutians (Zagro-Elamitic) as they were using the Mesopotamian one, now all religions are the same as the cultures.

Anyway I'm hoping to be able to release the mod before the end of the month but I can't promise anything.
    Thats very soon! Nice, good luck.

Buildings are almost all finished, only the government/recruitment buildings left to do but the design it's done too, I'll now make them. I'll post new screenshots when I've set up all the settlements with the starting buildings.

Buildings in the mod:

Government buildings:

In the historical regions of the factions you can build those typical buildings like Governor's House, Governor's Villa, Governor's Palace and Royal Palace. This is from where all recruitment besides ships (those are from ports ofc) comes. These buidings are factional and when a region is conquered they are destroyed by script. Some factions (Egypt, Hittites, Assyria and Babylonia) have a colonial system which allows them to have other government buildings from where they can recruit regional units. These buildings can be built everywhere outside of their historical regions. They are also destroyed by script when the region is conquered by another faction. Government buildings are a requirement for higher levels of infrastructure and they also spread culture.

Temples:

Temples give all kind of bonus depending on the temple. Temples are part of the "Cult" building trees. You can have the cult of the most important god or the most important goddess (for example Egypt is Amun-Ra and Isis) and the cult of a "minor" god/goddess, unless it is a main city where in can have both of the main cults and the extra one.

Historical factional buildings:

Some factions have special buildings to build.

Assyria and Babylonia: Royal Lion Hunts which uses the "games" feature where you can chose the frequency they are held, they can also build Pleasure Gardens that improves public health and happiness. Both buidings can only be built in the most important cities of Mesopotamia.

Mycenae and Thebes: Festivals (represent bull leaping and chariots racing) which uses the "races" feature where you can chose the frequency they are held. This building can only be built in the most important Aegean cities.

Egypt: Pyramid Complex that give bonus to law and happiness. This building can only be built in the most important cities of Egypt.

Then there is also all the usual buildings. Most buildings have a maintenance cost.

Region buildings:

The first building icon that is shown in all settlements is the region building with an image that more or less represent the environment of the region for immersion purposes. It also has the historical description of the region up to the end of Bronze Age and also its civilizations. This building is indestructible ofc.

Settlements:

Settlements have fixed levels from start (Large Town, City, Large City and Huge City) but underpopulated and underdeveloped ofc. So some cities are much more important than others.

EDIT: There is also ofc lots of unique historical indestructible buildings which give some bonus. Also forgot to mention that some buildings you can build besides the bonus can also have malus.
    Last edited by MagusCaligula; September 16, 2020 at 08:07 AM.

That's an amazing work, even more so to an one-man team! Take your time, the most important is the "immersion" in the period that the mod will certainly provide. All the best!

_Tartaros_'s Avatar "Harzschütze"

fixed level for settlements sounds interesting. did you test this feature in campaign?
    so you use castle´s or city´s only?

Sounds similar to what Fourth Age Total War did with settlements.
    FREE THE NIPPLE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by _TotalWar_ View Post
    That's an amazing work, even more so to an one-man team! Take your time, the most important is the "immersion" in the period that the mod will certainly provide. All the best!
    Thanks, yeah immersion it's the main aim of this mod as with all my mods.

Quote Originally Posted by _Tartaros_ View Post
    fixed level for settlements sounds interesting. did you test this feature in campaign?
    so you use castle´s or city´s only?
    Fixed levels for settlements it's something I did already in my Aurei Imperii mod (late Roman republic mod) and people seem to like it (at least no one complained lol). In my Hellenia Total War (classical Greece mod) although they aren't fixed from start only some cities can be upgraded to huge city and some to large city. So it's something I've already implemented in my other mods. There are only cities, castles were completely removed, same with forts actually (they just break the ai and due to the map design even worse).

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast