Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it good?

Default Is it good?

I'm not sure if I'm going to buy it or not. Want to know the consensus of the esteemed folks here if the game is good or not. I've not got much trust for Creative Assembly these days, and the things that have appeared in the streams and other released info have not been enough to get me to buy it (despite absolutely loving the setting and time period, I've got 1000s of hours on every single Romance of the Three Kingdoms game ever released, except for 5 and 12 which never came out in English, and 13 which I hated).

So, Total War Center folks... is Total War: Three Kingdoms good?
    "The only thing I'm afraid of is fear." Sir Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington.

Default Re: Is it good?

I've been enjoying it quite a lot. The campaign is quite excellent, and many of the new systems work just fine on it. The sandbox does quite well to keep the game fresh, and the fact that the AI actually uses the mechanics sensibly opens up a lot of options on how to play. Crazy things will just happen and throw the narrative for a loop.

Battles are just alright-ish, and while some of it is balancing, I think there's just a lack of interesting tactical options. Many of the units feel similar despite technically having different stats and types. Formations could help, but I believe CA made a mistake by locking them behind strategists. It's already difficult to support units that can even use formations in the first 100 turns. Getting a high enough level strategist leading them just makes it more rare for you to see and use them.

They aren't bad by any stretch. The AI has advanced a little bit. Some of the cheese tactics still work, and it still will do some of its old failures, but if you engage it in a standard fight, it can do quite well man for man. It'll bend its formation to try and block off flanking attacks while keeping its men together, switch its shots around to higher value targets, peel off units to try and deal with things in its backline, and is generally putting up a convincing effort that can punish you if you don't pay attention or get too greedy. It's not going to floor you, but that does feel generally as a movement forward. Melee animations are generic but functional, but some of the other animations are well done, especially cavalry charges.

The game looks and sound gorgeous once you turn off the English VO. The UI is a mixed bag of good, good but not enough for the amount of info they're trying to convey, and places where the art style clearly went too far. I've never noticed it getting in my way, just occasionally forcing me to double check what I just did.

As a 3K history fan, there are a lot of lacking details that irk me, from all the missing characters, to the anachronism fiesta that is the equipment, to the weird in between place that the "story" popups exist in, where they're somewhere in between Romance and history but refuse to acknowledge it. However, at the end of the day, there's enough proper 3K in this game for me to like it anyways. I can get Yuan Shu to sell me his daughter for a clay pig, and that somehow that feels like a natural progression of the situation, just part of the TW3K experience, and its fun.
    My Three Kingdoms Military History Blog / Military Map Project - https://zirroxas.tumblr.com/
    Ask me a question!

I'm rather enjoying it for what it is. The AI is capable of pulling some rather ingenious swerves like vassaling itself to a stronger party to avoid annihilation.
    「戦場廻り、運命決まり、生死しらない」

Quote Originally Posted by zoner16 View Post
    I've been enjoying it quite a lot. The campaign is quite excellent, and many of the new systems work just fine on it. The sandbox does quite well to keep the game fresh, and the fact that the AI actually uses the mechanics sensibly opens up a lot of options on how to play. Crazy things will just happen and throw the narrative for a loop.

Battles are just alright-ish, and while some of it is balancing, I think there's just a lack of interesting tactical options. Many of the units feel similar despite technically having different stats and types. Formations could help, but I believe CA made a mistake by locking them behind strategists. It's already difficult to support units that can even use formations in the first 100 turns. Getting a high enough level strategist leading them just makes it more rare for you to see and use them.

They aren't bad by any stretch. The AI has advanced a little bit. Some of the cheese tactics still work, and it still will do some of its old failures, but if you engage it in a standard fight, it can do quite well man for man. It'll bend its formation to try and block off flanking attacks while keeping its men together, switch its shots around to higher value targets, peel off units to try and deal with things in its backline, and is generally putting up a convincing effort that can punish you if you don't pay attention or get too greedy. It's not going to floor you, but that does feel generally as a movement forward. Melee animations are generic but functional, but some of the other animations are well done, especially cavalry charges.

The game looks and sound gorgeous once you turn off the English VO. The UI is a mixed bag of good, good but not enough for the amount of info they're trying to convey, and places where the art style clearly went too far. I've never noticed it getting in my way, just occasionally forcing me to double check what I just did.

As a 3K history fan, there are a lot of lacking details that irk me, from all the missing characters, to the anachronism fiesta that is the equipment, to the weird in between place that the "story" popups exist in, where they're somewhere in between Romance and history but refuse to acknowledge it. However, at the end of the day, there's enough proper 3K in this game for me to like it anyways. I can get Yuan Shu to sell me his daughter for a clay pig, and that somehow that feels like a natural progression of the situation, just part of the TW3K experience, and its fun.
    Thanks for the detailed breakdown. It's pushed me over towards the getting it side. Just gotta wait for a sale ($80 is a bit too expensive for my gaming budget these days).
    "The only thing I'm afraid of is fear." Sir Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Yue Fei View Post
    Thanks for the detailed breakdown. It's pushed me over towards the getting it side. Just gotta wait for a sale ($80 is a bit too expensive for my gaming budget these days).
    It will be a long, long wait. Warhammer 2 still did not get 75% off as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    It will be a long, long wait. Warhammer 2 still did not get 75% off as far as I know.
    It was 68% off back in April from GamesPlanetUK, but their keys are region locked to Europe only. Even still, it was $20 on Steam not too long ago, which is a good price for my budget. Might be a year until Three Kingdoms has a sale at a price point I'm comfortable paying.

Miles

Its the most optimized total war game i have seen at launch . Also the replenishment system needs a overhaul imho.
    Last edited by wis; May 24, 2019 at 02:05 AM.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Yue Fei View Post
    It was 68% off back in April from GamesPlanetUK, but their keys are region locked to Europe only. Even still, it was $20 on Steam not too long ago, which is a good price for my budget. Might be a year until Three Kingdoms has a sale at a price point I'm comfortable paying.
    Except for STW, MTW, RTW and M2TW (before broadband) I always bought TW games first day. But DLCs however I always wait until 75% off (unless those are DLCs that I really want to play).

Other games however I wait until 75% off like XCOM2 and Witcher series.

Rome 2 wounded me deep and I havnt played any TW games since. M2TW with load of mods was enough to satisfy my totalwar cravings.
    However I did play 3k for couple of hours before doing a steam refund and I must admit, 3k is an alright game. (No comment regarding its mid to late game development or repeatability though.)
    I am still hesitant about purchasing 3k though, as I am not strong enough to withstand the guilt of betraying my undying hatred of CA for screwing over our Rome 2.
    Nevertheless, 3k is a decent game worthy of your attention and money.
    Reg: They've taken everything we had and what have they ever given us in return!?
    Xerxes: The aqueduct. Reg: Oh yeah, yeah they gave us that. Yeah that's true.
    Activist 1: And the sanitation!
    Stan: Oh yes...sanitation, Reg you remember what the city used to be like.
    Reg: all right, that's two things that the Romans have done...
    Matthias: And the roads...
    Reg: Well yes obviously the roads goes without saying. But apart from...
    Activist 2, 3, 4, 5: Irrigation...Medicine...Education...and the wine...
    Francis: Yeah the wine. That's something we'd really miss if the Romans left.

TW3K is quite good. I am not thaht much interested in the period but it is the most succesful launch of a TW game since SHogun 2 I think

+
    Graphic are gorgeous and convey atmosphere
    Lots of diplomacy options
    Run 10fps smoother than previous generation of games while looking better
    Character interactions are interesting
    -
    Not that much into the period

Seether's Avatar RoTK Workhorse

I’m going to write an in-depth review after more playtime, but as of now I’m undecided as to whether I feel the game is good. I can say that it certainly isn’t bad or mediocre and I am enjoying it for the most part. But understand that the concept of “good” is a different measurement for everyone. My objective good could be someone else’s meh. I would suggest taking into consideration the opinion of people who explain, in detail, why they like or dislike the game (like zoner16 above). Do not, I repeat, do not listen to the reviews of lapdogs like IGN or those YouTubers who are either in bed with CA or have an axe to grind with that company - neither can be trusted to give an honest and unbiased review.
    Last edited by Seether; May 24, 2019 at 09:51 AM.
    Member of the Imperial House of Hader - Under the Benevolent Patronage of y2day
    A Wolf Among Sheep: A Rise of Three Kingdoms AAR

I just want to chime in here that I was lurking here back when Rome 2 came out. I remember quite vividly the mix of denial, rage, and occasional praise. But mostly rage.

Lurking on the Reddit forum and Steam, I think they might actually did it right this time. Thinking about Rome 2 is bittersweet in context of how well done this is, but the signs are saying this game is going the right direction.

Its the best TW game since Rome 2 & i have been playing TW games since 2004.
    Whey isn't there a big TW 3Kingdoms forum section on here yet ?

Frankly I feel underwhelmed by the battles, there's little improvement made here, the sieges battles are dumbed downed, weapons are inaccuarate and naval combat is removed. But the campaign map looks very intriguing.

Krieglord's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by youngfool View Post
    Rome 2 wounded me deep and I havnt played any TW games since. M2TW with load of mods was enough to satisfy my totalwar cravings.
    However I did play 3k for couple of hours before doing a steam refund and I must admit, 3k is an alright game. (No comment regarding its mid to late game development or repeatability though.)
    I am still hesitant about purchasing 3k though, as I am not strong enough to withstand the guilt of betraying my undying hatred of CA for screwing over our Rome 2.
    Nevertheless, 3k is a decent game worthy of your attention and money.
    I felt the same way in some respects with Rome 2, even playing with mods it never quite lived up to the picturesque trailers, that said you are doing yourself a disservice if you enjoy strategy games by not at least giving Shogun 2 and its excellent Fall Of The Samurai DLC a shot with Radious mod (FOTS is mainly based around Japans modernization so maybe only worth a look if you enjoy firearms) as well as Age Of Charlagmane DLC for Attila which is the closest we have right now to a Medieval Totalwar 3, also did you ever give The Empire Divided dlc for Rome 2 a chance? I found I enjoyed it much more then the base game as far as gameplay and units, again all with mods.

Thrones Of Brittania is the last time I think I will pick up a CA game at launch though, it's fun enough now with variation and unit mods but at launch was slow and buggy as heck.

Your name is Yue Fei, you should get it. it has the best campaign of all total war, battle is average at best, why dont u read the reviews on steam yourself?

86% over 10k reviews already, and metacritic is 84

Quote Originally Posted by samuraixkan View Post
    Your name is Yue Fei, you should get it. it has the best campaign of all total war, battle is average at best, why dont u read the reviews on steam yourself?

86% over 10k reviews already, and metacritic is 84
    I don't care for most Steam reviews, because usually people's reasons there for liking games are very different to mine, and I don't care about metacritic. The folks here at TWC have a similar mindset as me when it comes to Total War games, so I trust the judgement of people here.

Quote Originally Posted by Seether View Post
    I’m going to write an in-depth review after more playtime, but as of now I’m undecided as to whether I feel the game is good. I can say that it certainly isn’t bad or mediocre and I am enjoying it for the most part. But understand that the concept of “good” is a different measurement for everyone. My objective good could be someone else’s meh. I would suggest taking into consideration the opinion of people who explain, in detail, why they like or dislike the game (like zoner16 above). Do not, I repeat, do not listen to the reviews of lapdogs like IGN or those YouTubers who are either in bed with CA or have an axe to grind with that company - neither can be trusted to give an honest and unbiased review.
    Looking forward to your review.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

I will also wait for a sale
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

pajomife's Avatar Protector Domesticus

This game will have a huge market outside Europe, sadly the era and the region isn't enough appelative for me, but people from China should buy it, it's your history and I hope you mod the game to.

Mwulf's Avatar Civis

Is it good? Honestly... yes and no? It's way, way better than Rome II or any of its successors--it's well optimized, has a clean and readable UI, a wealth of diplomacy options (almost everything we've been dying to see in the series since Medieval) and has a bunch of new and interesting systems and mechanics.

But it still has a lot of Rome II's problems. Most significantly blobbing is still a major problem, so tactical battles are a nightmare, and army limits are still a thing, so there's a lot less variety in the kinds of battles you'll fight, making auto-resolving almost always a bad-idea.

In other words, compared to the series as a whole, it may not be a good Total War game, but compared to the post-Shogun II lineup alone, it's much improved. And also, it shouldn't take too long for mods to fix the blobbing and arbitrary army limits.
    "What is the most cowardly and shameful thing in human conduct? It's when people with power, and those who flatter them, hide in safe places and extol war--people who force patriotism and self-sacrifice on others, sending them to the battlefield to die. For the sake of peace in the universe, before we continue this fruitless war... mustn't we first start by exterminating such evil parasites?"
    -Yang Wen-Li

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast