Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it good?

Default Re: Is it good?

The campaign makes it worth getting, that aspect of the game is top notch.

It's just splendid game. Playing series since Shogun and Medieval 1 release , and i must say im amazed. Takes what's best in the whole series , Warhammer included and add some spice in Crusader Kings 2 style. Very short battle loading times, quick turns, and just greatest diplomacy in whole series makes this game very hard to turn off and leave pc. Brilliant.

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

I have been playing these games since the first Shogun TW. Absolutely amazing.First it's strange, then it gets in you.
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

The_Fan's Avatar Biarchus

The day one release as others have mentioned is remarkably bug free. So that much is an improvement. Unfortunately the things that have plagued every release to date are still there, such as battles being WAY TOO FAST. The rock, paper, scissors units game is also way too pronounced. It won't take experienced players very long and you can come up with an unbeatable army mix that will trash everything the AI can throw at you. Thank God for the games being so modable or they would be just so much trash. This is based on playing the game via classic style. No thanks to god like one man tanks tearing up entire units. Warhammer was palatable only because that was how that universe was structured. Historical games should be just that...historical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jom View Post
    I expect Levi Roots's Reggae Reggae Sauce to be identified imminently as the root of all this rioting. Never export black culture into the UK.

Historical games should be just that...historical.
    Romance of the Three Kingdoms is a novel. If it was newer, we would be talking about it more like the way we talk about Warhammer. Fortunately CA manage to allow both modes.
    Last edited by z3n; May 27, 2019 at 05:03 PM. Reason: continuity

Razor's Avatar Licenced to insult

Am I the only one who's annoyed by the clutter of floating icons as well as the markers and indicators showing up everywhere? It's so distracting and so gamey/arcade. It's been in the more recent Total War games, but I feel that in Three Kingdoms it's even more apparent. Remember a time when good old banners were used?

For comparison:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0000000842.1920x1080.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	337.0 KB 
ID:	358282Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TW3K.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	880.9 KB 
ID:	358283

Quote Originally Posted by Razor View Post
    Am I the only one who's annoyed by the clutter of floating icons as well as the markers and indicators showing up everywhere? It's so distracting and so gamey/arcade. It's been in the more recent Total War games, but I feel that in Three Kingdoms it's even more apparent. Remember a time when good old banners were used?
    I don't get distracted by them so much as find them hard to read and too easily overlapped. I tend not to notice "gamey" UX features so long as they perform their task with minimal hassle. However, in this case, the icons are small and difficult to click on. Especially when cavalry charges get units embedded in each other, I have trouble selecting units or telling what their status is because the icons keep obscuring each other.

The Shogun 2 banners are probably my favorites in the series. They scale nicely, convey plenty of information, and are easy to pick out no matter what backdrop they're against. There's already a ton of flags in a unit. Just add one more that floats and scales.
    My Three Kingdoms Military History Blog / Military Map Project - https://zirroxas.tumblr.com/
    Ask me a question!

I've just finally found the way to turn the icons off in battle (space bar to get the detailed battle UI menu) am actually finding it easier without them.

Did anyone find out how to turn the Voice-over totally off, without losing rest of ui/effects sounds? (The English woman is so annoying I turn the speakers off everytime I hear her - and I didn't really want Chinese version either)

EDIT: before anyone points me at preferences I've tried
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

sound_master_volume 100; # sound_master_volume <int>, master sound volume 0-100 #
    sound_music_volume 0; # sound_music_volume <int>, music sound volume 0-100 #
    sound_advisor_volume 40; # sound_advisor_volume <int>, advisor sound volume 0-100 #
    sound_previous_advisor_volume 100; # sound_previous_advisor_volume <int>, Last modified sound value #
    sound_vo_volume 0; # sound_vo_volume <int>, vo sound volume 0-100 #
    sound_sfx_volume 100; # sound_sfx_volume <int>, sfx sound volume 0-100 #
    sound_interface_volume 100; # interface_sound_volume <int>, interface sound volume 0-100 #
    sound_previous_master_volume 0; # sound_master_previous_volume <int>, Last modified sound value #
    sound_previous_music_volume 100; # sound_music_previous_volume <int>, Last modified sound value #
    sound_previous_vo_volume 0; # sound_previous_vo_volume <int>, Last modified sound value #
    sound_previous_sfx_volume 100; # sound_master_previous_volume <int>, Last modified sound value #
    sound_previous_interface_volume 100; # sound_previous_interface_volume <int>, Last modified sound value #
    sound_master_enabled true; # sound_master_enabled <true|false>, master sound enabled #
    sound_music_enabled false; # sound_music_enabled <true|false>, music sound enabled #
    sound_vo_enabled false; # sound_vo_enabled <true|false>, vo sound enabled #
    audio_advice_use_alternative_language false; # audio_advice_use_alternative_language <bool>, Use alternative voiceover language for advice #
    audio_diplomacy_use_alternative_language false; # audio_diplomacy_use_alternative_language <bool>, Use alternative voiceover language for diplomacy #
    audio_vo_use_alternative_language false; # audio_vo_use_alternative_language <bool>, Use alternative voiceover language for global voiceover #

and with alternative_language true

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

I am over one hundred and twenty turns into a campaign as Liu Bei. Normally, around this time, I would be rolling over the AI, or at the very least have an unassailable stronghold of territory.

Instead, I am surrounded on all sides by factions that are equal if not stronger than me. I reached a situation that I thought was stable and would allow me to build up my forces, and not one year later my vassal declares a rebellion on me, and is then vassalized in turn by a massive faction to the South, which brings them into the war, and now I am fighting nearly half the map. All while my 'ally', the strongest faction in the game, stares me down across the Yellow River.

As usual, mods are going to change this game a lot. But this is the first Total War since Shogun 2 that I feel doesn't need mods. It is very enjoyable even without them. Battles are a little fast for me, but I am used to DEI and EB, where the largest battles in the campaign might take over an hour to fight.

It's not that I don't have any complaints, but nothing is ruining the game for me so far. It's extremely well done.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

I would say that it is the best one since Medieval 2. Miles ahead of Rome II and it's clones.

This is a great game and a fantastic foundation for the future.

I expected that there was a roughly 70% chance I wouldn't like this game.
    But I've played 24 hours of it already! Thats almost as much as I've played ThroB at all!

Its really good, the battles aren't as interesting as Warhammer but the 3 generals, duelling and abilities makes it feel fresher than any of the other vanilla historicals. I do agree with the poster who said Formations shouldn't be so scarce though, since they're cool.
    Turn times are super fast, so I've already played 80 turns into 4 different campaigns in that time.

The only big problem I'm running into is AI Yuan Shao vassalises the entire map if you don't stop him early and his vassals love him. I tried doing this as a player and my vassals all constantly rebelled against me. CA has said its a bug they're aware of at least.
    Its a good campaign thats basically a chinese thunderdome where the early game is consolidating, the mid game is diplomatic coalitions and the end game is 3 enormous kingdoms smashing eachother to bits. Diplomatic and military options are locked until you reach a certain level, think Imperium from DeI, so the game has a nice progression. Thats what makes AI Yuan Shao so scary, is he gets access to alliances and vassals a lot earlier than anyone else.

If you don't care about the period do what I did and watch Three Kingdoms (2010) on youtube, its a chinese TV epic about the period and I went from not giving a damn to having very strong opinions on my Liu Bei's v my Liu Biaos and my Yuan Shaos v my Yuan Shus

Miles

Quote Originally Posted by ♘Top Hat Zebra View Post
    I am over one hundred and twenty turns into a campaign as Liu Bei. Normally, around this time, I would be rolling over the AI, or at the very least have an unassailable stronghold of territory.

Instead, I am surrounded on all sides by factions that are equal if not stronger than me. I reached a situation that I thought was stable and would allow me to build up my forces, and not one year later my vassal declares a rebellion on me, and is then vassalized in turn by a massive faction to the South, which brings them into the war, and now I am fighting nearly half the map. All while my 'ally', the strongest faction in the game, stares me down across the Yellow River.

As usual, mods are going to change this game a lot. But this is the first Total War since Shogun 2 that I feel doesn't need mods. It is very enjoyable even without them. Battles are a little fast for me, but I am used to DEI and EB, where the largest battles in the campaign might take over an hour to fight.

It's not that I don't have any complaints, but nothing is ruining the game for me so far. It's extremely well done.
    I am curious, have you actually managed to use the Liu Bei unique campaign feature and confederated with somebody else? Like Liu Biao or Kong Rong?

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

Actually, yes, but only just within the last few turns. Im not even sure exactly what happened. Kong Rong was my long-standing ally for almost a hundred turns, and then he instead decided to become a vassal of Gongsun Zan, who has created a large kingdom to the North of me. I don't know why Kong Rong chose to do this, but literally four turns later, Gongsun Zan liberated Kong Rong, again, for no reason at all that I could tell. Afterwards, Kong Rong wanted to confederate with me.

So far that's the only time I've used it, though. Honestly, I think Cao Cao has by far the most interesting campaign mechanic with his ability to cause proxy wars between other factions, but Liu Bei just appealed more to me when I started.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

Laetus

I want to like it, but the game won't let me. I have a strange problem where after the first (Cao Cao campaign) battle or if I am lucky shortly after my game just CTD's/exits without warning. No idea why, I can run Warhammer 1 & 2 just fine. As there is no error, I have no real idea where to look at.

I am waiting for the first patches to see if it fixes my issue. Besides that, if I fix my issue, I am just waiting for a mod to combine the improved battles of Records with the seperate heroes of Romance. To get the best of both. The battles in Romance are just silly from a perspective of someone who enjoys tactics and strategy.

I'm going to keep my opinion brief. Take the mechanics of this game forward please CA and make Medieval 3 !!!
    Last edited by large jack; May 26, 2019 at 09:56 AM.

It is the best Total War experience I have had since Medieval 2.

The campaign is deep, layered, strategically rewarding and realistic (relatively speaking). Characters are treated like actual individuals and not just a group of numbers. Complex diplomatic deals are possible. It really feels like governing a realm, with ministers and administrators, sending people out on a host of assignments, managing taxes and population and such. A massive improvement over previous TW titles.

Battles have not improved as much, but still a lot better than Warhammer. Battle pacing is good. Visually stunning with all those flowing banners and massive army sizes. Cavalry charges are destructive. Formations are back and expanded. Massive multi-layered sieges are back. Tactically it is pretty similar to Rome 2 / Med 2, with the addition of duels and chain of command.

And it is pretty stable. Zero crashes or major bugs in 24 hours for me.

There are some oversights and balancing issues that need to sorted out via patches.
    Last edited by prithupaul; May 26, 2019 at 11:29 AM.

Agreed, it's the most fun I've had playing a vanilla TW game, upon release, since medieval 2.

To my surprise, the game is actually pretty good. The campaign game play is where it really shines, for me anyways. That said there are some things I dont care for. The way recruitment works is annoying and I feel like the troop trees are missing some things. That said these are minor issues and I suspect mods will address them. The battlefield game play however is not that great in my opinion, with the big issue being how insanely deadly archers and towers are. Seriously i feel like I'm employing troops armed with rifles instead of bows. Once again though I suspect mods will address this in the near future, and who knows maybe CA will look at it some.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Campaign for me is the best. It's like Paradox games (which I hate) without being Paradox and maintaining the Total War feel. It's no longer about clicking end turns after deciding who to attack. Can easily spend 10 minutes planning the moves, the diplomacy, city managements etc before ending the turn compared to 5 seconds on previous games.

Battles, if I have never played or mod any previous games or played Warhammer, I would say it's the best in the series. Not perfect, there are bugs yes but they are enjoyable.

Watching the previews I feel that the game may overwhelm even for veteran TW players but 30 minutes into the game I found that my fears are unfounded. Might still intimidate those who play a Total War game the first time though.

The Roman Republic's Avatar Alea iacta est
    Citizen Content Emeritus

Its very polished and the best released TW game I've played in a while, definitely up there and will be great with mods due to come.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast